!!!!!ATTENTION!!!!! Amherst Island Owl Woods
We were out to Owl Woods today and spoke with one of the volunteer patrol person's.
We've been informed that Owl Woods is in danger of being closed due to the stupidity and arrogance of some visitors. Owl Woods is an annual retreat for many species and hundreds of Owl's to over winter, what many people do not know is this wood is PRIVATELY OWNED as it is located across two parcels of land.
In recent months owners have found
- a couple using noise devices to "wake up" owl's to get pictures of with eye's open.
- a busload of people chasing a snowy owl from tree to tree for pictures, then throwing snowballs at it to get BIF pictures!!
- a variety of people ignoring the "closed for hunting" lockout for two weeks and trespassing on private property.
- a paid photographer running a "how too" weekend allowing students to do anything, including breaking tree limbs to get access or make new trails, invading owl hunting grounds by getting "up close" and flash photography - nocturnal birds have sensitive eyes HELLO!!
- leaving garbage
- people caught repeatedly blowing whistles to make birds fly
Please spread the word, we do not want to lose this privilege, volunteers are on regular patrol now, people caught violating rules (now posted everywhere) are banned and charged by the Ministry - it is considered harassment of wildlife and the fines are heavy.
If you happen to be at the wood and see a violator simply snap a pic of them and call the reporting number posted immediately, calling in and the photograph will lead to a ban and fine as well.
If the owners decide to close Owl Woods there's no recourse, closed is closed and that's that.
There are so many good people respecting the places they photograph, lets not allow a few bad eggs ruin it for the rest of us.
If a MOD could tack this to the top for a little while it would be appreciated.