Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 13 Feb 2010 (Saturday) 15:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Owl Woods - in DANGER of closing!!

Paul_R_Canada
442 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 13, 2010 15:36 |  #1

!!!!!ATTENTION!!!!! Amherst Island Owl Woods

We were out to Owl Woods today and spoke with one of the volunteer patrol person's.

We've been informed that Owl Woods is in danger of being closed due to the stupidity and arrogance of some visitors. Owl Woods is an annual retreat for many species and hundreds of Owl's to over winter, what many people do not know is this wood is PRIVATELY OWNED as it is located across two parcels of land.

In recent months owners have found
- a couple using noise devices to "wake up" owl's to get pictures of with eye's open.

- a busload of people chasing a snowy owl from tree to tree for pictures, then throwing snowballs at it to get BIF pictures!!

- a variety of people ignoring the "closed for hunting" lockout for two weeks and trespassing on private property.

- a paid photographer running a "how too" weekend allowing students to do anything, including breaking tree limbs to get access or make new trails, invading owl hunting grounds by getting "up close" and flash photography - nocturnal birds have sensitive eyes HELLO!!

- leaving garbage

- people caught repeatedly blowing whistles to make birds fly

Please spread the word, we do not want to lose this privilege, volunteers are on regular patrol now, people caught violating rules (now posted everywhere) are banned and charged by the Ministry - it is considered harassment of wildlife and the fines are heavy.

If you happen to be at the wood and see a violator simply snap a pic of them and call the reporting number posted immediately, calling in and the photograph will lead to a ban and fine as well.

If the owners decide to close Owl Woods there's no recourse, closed is closed and that's that.

There are so many good people respecting the places they photograph, lets not allow a few bad eggs ruin it for the rest of us.

If a MOD could tack this to the top for a little while it would be appreciated.

Photographs - unrepeatable - unforgettable...
Trying to learn something new every day
Canon XTI & XSI, Sigma 150 2.8 Macro
Canon 16-35 f2.8 L II USM - Canon 300 f4 L IS USM
Canon 500 f4 L and body upgrade on my wish list ;)

sponsored links
LordBrian
Goldmember
1,128 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 13, 2010 15:43 |  #2

I don't even walk past the patio doors at home if I see a bird on the feeders.

Why would you do that.

Canon 7D | EF 100-400mm L my favourite bits of kit
http://blog.depicus.co​m (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Vimeo (external link) - 500px (external link)

Harvey_G
Cream of the Crop
5,375 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 13, 2010 16:03 |  #3

I've heard about some of this (and other unacceptable behaviour). I sincerely hope they catch and charge some of the offenders. This sux big time.

-Harv-
Residing in Cobourg, Ontario, Canada
Shooting with more great Canon gear than I deserve. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I don't need a second childhood. I'm not finished yet with the first one. :lol:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=764587

Paul_R_Canada
THREAD ­ STARTER
442 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 13, 2010 16:13 |  #4

I should mention there is now a section roped off and no trespassing signs up in one part of the woods already - the volunteer showed us where - let's hope that's as far as this goes.

Don1
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 13, 2010 16:29 |  #5

That's unfortunate. Some people have no respect for wildlife. They certainly wouldn't tolerate someone doing the same things in their home.

Don
Canon EOS R6, Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 7D Mark II, Canon EF 70-200mm F4 L IS, Canon EF 100-400 L IS II, EF 24-105mm, EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS USM, Canon EF 300mm f/4 L IS USM
See my photos on My Flickr (external link)

JTF
758 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 13, 2010 17:08 |  #6

There has been some crazy happenings over there so the strict rules are needed for sure.

artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,411 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 13, 2010 17:46 |  #7

LordBrian wrote in post #9603530 (external link)
I don't even walk past the patio doors at home if I see a bird on the feeders.....

Oh, it's not just me like that then ;)

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

Paul_R_Canada
THREAD ­ STARTER
442 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 13, 2010 18:09 |  #8

JTF wrote in post #9603927 (external link)
There has been some crazy happenings over there so the strict rules are needed for sure.

Couldn't agree more, I was quite happy to see the patrol, they are not only a wealth of information as they are Islanders, know the woods intimately and walk the woods daily but they will stop the BS going on. The patrols are avid birders and photographers themselves.

turbotony
369 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 13, 2010 18:12 |  #9

call me a dingdong....but I respect carma...and can't look away when a show like..."when animals attack" comes on......I simply yell..."GET UM!!!!"

Canon 1d Mark IV, 1Ds, 1D Mark II, JTL Versa 500's, 24-70 2.8 L, 50mm 1.4, Tokina 11-16.

Butch ­ Cassidy
462 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 13, 2010 18:16 as a reply to  @ Paul_R_Canada's post |  #10

sounds like the Good People in that area that enjoy the birds need to form a group to help watch for the ( Jerks ) and call the authorities on them. You have to be pro/active instead of re/active. The jerks usually ruin it for all the people.

Butch Cassidy " Might have to rob a train, for more gear money"
50D _ 85 f1.8 USM _ 16-35 f2.8 L IS USM _ 24-70 2.8 L USM _ 70-200 f2.8 L IS USM _ 300 f2.8 L IS USM _ 580 EX 11

GovMule
560 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 13, 2010 19:29 |  #11

This is sad to hear. I went up to the Amherst last weekend looking for Snowies,but didn't spot any. I did see a lifer though,the Snow Bunting. Towards the end of the day,I went to the Owl Woods and there were quite a few vehicles there. The short time I was there,I didn't see any "bad behavior". Hopefully the bad apples are cored......

Canon 7D x2 / 50D / FUJIFILM X100F / EF 24-70 F2.8 L / EF 70-200 F4 L / EF 300 F4 L IS / EF 1.4x II /580 EX II / Sigma 10mm f/2.8 EX DC Fisheye HSM / Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM /Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM C
http://chriscouse.smug​mug.com/ (external link)
One step closer and I'll shoot you with my Canon

sugarzebra
Cream of the Crop
9,289 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 13, 2010 20:28 |  #12

It's a shame patrols are needed but hopefully they will be effective in 're-educating' the minority who can ruin it for everyone else.

Scott

Website & Blog (external link)

Paul_R_Canada
THREAD ­ STARTER
442 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 13, 2010 21:24 |  #13

Bump

kd_reno
Goldmember
1,938 posts
Gallery: 284 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 13, 2010 22:13 |  #14

Sorry to hear that and hope the patrols are succesful. That's a place I'd like to visit some day.

Ken
More stuff than I know how to use

Anke
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 13, 2010 22:20 |  #15

This sort of behaviour is disgusting, but just how on earth can it be stopped?
I remember being on holiday and going out to listen to nightjars when a park ranger with a tour shone a torch right on one to point it out and disturbed the poor thing.

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitter (external link) | Tunbridge Wells (external link) | Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,931 views & 0 likes for this thread
Owl Woods - in DANGER of closing!!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.