Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 15 Feb 2010 (Monday) 09:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Paypal

tattooDan
452 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 15, 2010 09:50 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

Tokyudo wrote in post #9612923 (external link)
Good to know. Fortunately for me, I had money in my PayPal when I did those transactions :)

ya,I see the diiference now,I just completed two recent transactions too,both were gifted,but one was funded from paypal balance and one was from my paypal buyer credit,only the one from the buyer credit had a fee.

oh well, I will know better next time.

sponsored links
Duckhunter250
THREAD ­ STARTER
252 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 15, 2010 09:52 |  #17

drumsfield wrote in post #9612952 (external link)
If someone is selling a $1000 lens here and asks me to pay him using money order or personal check, that person might as well be from Nigeria as far as I'm concerned.

Edit: add paypal "gift" to the list

That to me is where feedback comes in. If he has good feedback for a lenght of time I would do it. If it just doesn't feel right, walk away.

60D|EF-S 18-55IS|EF-S 55-250IS|EF-S 18-135IS stm|EF 85-1.8|Tamron 17-50 2.8 non VC |Tamron SP 70-300 Di VC USD | YN 465|Domke F-3x

Duckhunter250
THREAD ­ STARTER
252 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 15, 2010 09:58 |  #18

I just completed my first transaction on here, with a USPS money order. I had no feedback here, but I communicated with the buyer well, exchanged phone numbers, and all went very well. The seller had a few positive feedback, so I felt good about the sale. No fees, no hassle. I have not heard of USPS money orders being stolen, or forged.

60D|EF-S 18-55IS|EF-S 55-250IS|EF-S 18-135IS stm|EF 85-1.8|Tamron 17-50 2.8 non VC |Tamron SP 70-300 Di VC USD | YN 465|Domke F-3x

ahendarman
851 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 15, 2010 10:08 |  #19

Paypal protection only applies if there's a proof of transaction. What they are actually saying is if it's not an ebay transaction, then you're on your own. I have heard that paypal refuses to settle dispute for the buyer for non ebay item.

I have many transactions here in POTN, I never had any problem. I come to believe that people with the same passions tend to be honest to each other. This is why I love this site.

Gear | Smugmug (external link)

drive_75
748 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 15, 2010 10:09 |  #20

va_rider wrote in post #9612854 (external link)
Wrong forum for this conversation....

but...

If I see someone asking for PayPal gift... it won't happen... unless it's an inexpensive item, and the seller has over 10k posts here on POTN... otherwise, as a buyer I figure out the 3% increase and decide whether or not I'm willing to pay that, instead of just buying from B&H or Adorama... if the price is within 10% of what I'd pay for new, I'll just get new. It's worth it to me to have the added protection provided by PayPal as both a buyer and a seller. Money orders can be cancelled or forged. Cashier's Checks can be cancelled or forged.

If someone is asking for PayPal gift, they should accept regular paypal as long as the buyer pays the fee... and it's perfectly reasonable to ask for this, especially with high-dollar items... now if the seller won't accept regular paypal, with the buyer paying the fees... it's time to turn and run the opposite direction.

Everyone should follow this same rule. I know I do. It's just not worth it when you should ever run into a problem. To me it's always ridiculous for the seller to ask the buyer to pay for paypal fee when the system was designed for the seller to pay for such a fee. The only time I would even consider paying for paypal fee is if the seller discount his item so low that it is below the market value but I rarely ever see that. The one that ask buyer to pay for the fee is usually the one that try to sell at the highest price. I always walk away when I see someone asking for gift option/buyer pay pp fee.

Even for a small amount, I just wouldn't do gift option. It's like me going shopping at the mall or buying from Adorama and they said, "Oh you must pay for our credit card transaction fee. That would be an extra 3% more."

troybal
544 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 15, 2010 10:09 as a reply to  @ Duckhunter250's post |  #21

I love using paypal and depending on the item I do not mind paying the fees. I did do a gift paypal the other day and it did have me worried but the seller had excellent feedback. Paypal offers protection when a money order does not. To me, if you write a money order to "Joe Smoe" and he cashes it, then how do you recover if he does not send the purchased item? I mean you did send a money order to him? Does a money order have protection? That's why I worry.
The Paypal gift was new to me even though I have been using paypal for 5+ years! Just have never been asked to pay via Paypal gift till a couple of weeks ago.

1stGenRex
564 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 15, 2010 10:38 |  #22

If someone is selling a $1000 lens here and asks me to pay him using money order or personal check, that person might as well be from Nigeria as far as I'm concerned.

very smart in assuming such things...

twomill
45 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 15, 2010 10:43 as a reply to  @ troybal's post |  #23

I have been a lurker and am new to this "sport". When I see a seller asking for payment through paypal as a gift then I think they are saying. "Trust me, we are going to cheat paypal but I am not going to cheat you". That is when I know it is time to pass because if you can not trust a lier or a cheater.

http://flickr.com/jtop​pa (external link)

drive_75
748 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 15, 2010 10:49 |  #24

twomill wrote in post #9613257 (external link)
I have been a lurker and am new to this "sport". When I see a seller asking for payment through paypal as a gift then I think they are saying. "Trust me, we are going to cheat paypal but I am not going to cheat you". That is when I know it is time to pass because if you can not trust a lier or a cheater.

Excellent point. What he's really saying is "Trust me, we both are going to cheat paypal and then I'm going to cheat you". That's what I hear when I hear someone requesting pp gift.

lazer-jock
Don't mess
1,557 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 15, 2010 10:51 |  #25

twomill wrote in post #9613257 (external link)

Well put, but some people don't have a problem when they get the Robin Hood Syndrome thinking that stealing from the rich (...PayPal) is fine because they are poor

I'm off lining my cage with newspaper.
My Gear List

volfan1978
720 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 15, 2010 10:58 |  #26

drive_75 wrote in post #9613085 (external link)
It's like me going shopping at the mall or buying from Adorama and they said, "Oh you must pay for our credit card transaction fee. That would be an extra 3% more."

True, but in most cases retailers are rolling the credit card processing fee into the price of the products they sell. Gas stations have started doing this pretty outwardly too. I've been to several where the cash price is lower than the credit price per gallon.

dino8031
847 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 15, 2010 10:58 |  #27

I agree with that completely, unless the seller is well established and has a lot of positive feedback. Even then I'd probably pass if $1000 was on the line.

For private sales it's becoming the standard for buyers to cover the 3% fee through the credit card funding of Paypal "gifts", like it or not.

I would not send a Paypal balance funded "gift" unless the same criteria is met for sending a money order.

Paypal will NOT help you under any circumstances if a private sale goes South, but your credit card company will. Just use a credit card, pay the 3% fee or move on to a different seller that will cover the fees.

drive_75
748 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 15, 2010 11:09 |  #28

volfan1978 wrote in post #9613318 (external link)
True, but in most cases retailers are rolling the credit card processing fee into the price of the products they sell. Gas stations have started doing this pretty outwardly too. I've been to several where the cash price is lower than the credit price per gallon.

That's fine with me. I rather the guy/gal add in the 3% pp fee to his asking price so that it's not hidden. But they won't do that because they know that with 3% on top of what they are asking will drive away most potential buyers. So they want to advertise a lower or fair price(before pp fee). I always skipped over the ones that asked the buyer to pay pp fee or asked for pp gift.

drumsfield
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 15, 2010 11:15 |  #29

dino8031 wrote in post #9613321 (external link)
Paypal will NOT help you under any circumstances if a private sale goes South, but your credit card company will. Just use a credit card, pay the 3% fee or move on to a different seller that will cover the fees.

Precisely, it's really not about Paypal protection as it is protection by your credit card company. But, it does give you more options in case there is a dispute. If you're buying then it's up to you how much you're willing to pay for a little peace of mind, 3%? Whenever I sell anything I ALWAYS factor in the additional cost, it's the price of doing business online. I try to sell locally whenever possible, but sometime it's just faster to sell online.

1stGenRex wrote in post #9613228 (external link)
very smart in assuming such things...

What do you mean by that or are you just trying to be smart?

Canon 5D MkIII | Olympus OM-D | Olympus E-P2 | 16-35L MKII | 24-70L MKII | 70-200L MKII | 85L MKII | EF 50mm 1.4 | EF 100mm 2.8 | 100-400mm L MKII | 20mm 1.7
Feedback and Full gear list
Website (external link)

drive_75
748 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 15, 2010 11:26 |  #30

dino8031 wrote in post #9613321 (external link)
I agree with that completely, unless the seller is well established and has a lot of positive feedback. Even then I'd probably pass if $1000 was on the line.

For private sales it's becoming the standard for buyers to cover the 3% fee through the credit card funding of Paypal "gifts", like it or not.

I would not send a Paypal balance funded "gift" unless the same criteria is met for sending a money order.

Most seller are honest and safe like perhaps you but I don't know if any of you guys follow a case on FM site where the guy bought two "L" lenses for over $2500 and use pp gift. The lens was rated 9.5/8.5 but when they arrived it look more like 6/5 rated lens. Now the seller is telling the buyer that the only way he can get his money back is when the seller can sell those lenses after he return them:eek:.

There will be seller that will deceit the buyer or scam them. One just can't be too trusting and assume everyone is good. I know we can't assume everyone is bad but I won't risk my money this way. Sorry.

sponsored links

4,384 views & 0 likes for this thread
Paypal
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.