Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 15 Feb 2010 (Monday) 03:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Questions about Manfrotto and Benro

bryc24
36 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 15, 2010 03:22 |  #1

I've been looking around a lot for the right tripod/head combination for my needs and have a few questions and would like your input.

First, my requirements:
- travel size when folded ideally <17" - really would like for it to fit in a normal backpack/carry-on for traveling
- tripod leg/head weight <4lbs
- load capacity of ~13lbs
- budget of ~$200-250

At the moment I have a gripped 400D, nifty-fifty, and the Tamron 17-50. The load capacity of 13lbs should be more than enough. I do plan on buying a 580EX, 70-200 in the future so I'm hoping 13lbs should cover that.

First choice: Benro A-269M8 Travel Angel Aluminum Tripod with BH-1 Ballhead (external link)
I am 5'5" so the 53.4" max height w/o column is fine and everything is else pretty much what I want. My big concern is with the head. I've heard mixed reviews, some say it's ok while others recommend upgrading it.

Second choice: Benro A-158M8 legs (external link) with the Manfrotto 496RC2 (external link)
Everything is very similar, just that this leg only folds to 19.1", which means it doesn't fit in my bag which is a big downer. Also, I couldn't find the legs used in the Benro Travel Angel above at B&H, Adorama, or Amazon. Is it under another Benro product name? or do they just not sell those legs? What are the differences between the Manfrotto 496RC2 and the 498RC2, only difference I see is that the 498 has the marks on the bottom to help with panning I'm assuming.

I've looked at the famous 190XPROB/055XProB & 488RC2, but they were too heavy and big for travel. The Slik Pro line was on the heavy side and the Feisol although light was a little over my budget. In the end I might go with the Benro Travel Angel and just replace the head down the line, but I would like to hear everyone's opinion. I apologize for all the questions and being so nitpicky, but this is my first tripod and I really want to get it right haha.

400D \\ Σ 10-20 f/4-5.6 - Canon 50 f/1.8 - Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 - Canon 70-200 f/4 L IS
Flickr (external link)

bryc24
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 15, 2010 16:36 |  #2

bump, anyone with any feedback?

400D \\ Σ 10-20 f/4-5.6 - Canon 50 f/1.8 - Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 - Canon 70-200 f/4 L IS
Flickr (external link)

seaside
Slapped with a ridiculous title
5,472 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 16, 2010 05:49 |  #3

Here is a link to the A-158M8 @ B&H
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …Aluminum_Tripod​_Legs.html (external link)

I've been doing research myself on the Benro tripods. I have a trip to Key West, Florida coming up in April. Your specs are a little different than mine so I really can't speak to the models you're looking at. I need one that folds down to around 14 in. and weight is important to me. So the 1.7 lb C-069M8 is the one I'm researching. It's a little higher cost @ around $300 but it will be worth it to me.

I've also heard mixed reviews about their heads. I have a couple head options that I already own so that aspect isn't a concern for me. One thing that is real important in reading anything about the legs or heads is the date those reviews were written. Benro has made significant improvements thru the years. So finding current information is important to get an idea about their worthiness.

The C-069M8 for me, is a little light but there are techniques to help stabilize a tripod that can help.

Chris
Creative Tools / ZENFOLIO (external link)
Someone stole all of my photography equipment and replaced it with exact duplicates.

Beachcomber ­ Joe
466 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 16, 2010 08:44 |  #4

bryc24 wrote in post #9611738 (external link)
What are the differences between the Manfrotto 496RC2 and the 498RC2, only difference I see is that the 498 has the marks on the bottom to help with panning I'm assuming.

The 498RC2 has a separate pan lock lever so the head can be panned without unlocking the ball. The 496RC2 lacks this useful feature.

The 498RC2 is somewhat larger and heavier and has a greater load capacity.

bryc24
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 16, 2010 14:18 |  #5

Yeah, I saw the C-069M8 travel angel and it's perfect for what I'm looking for, but a bit out of my price range =/. With a Bahamas trip coming up in March and New York in May I need something now. I guess I could always buy the aluminum version now and resell it later, tripods hold their value pretty well right?

Beachcomber Joe wrote in post #9619311 (external link)
The 498RC2 has a separate pan lock lever so the head can be panned without unlocking the ball. The 496RC2 lacks this useful feature.

The 498RC2 is somewhat larger and heavier and has a greater load capacity.

Ah ok, B&H has the two head descriptions worded similarly saying the 496RC2 had a calibrated panning base, thought it could move separately.

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,071 views & 0 likes for this thread
Questions about Manfrotto and Benro
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.