Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 15 Feb 2010 (Monday) 17:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

60D Body price?

KarinMichelle
109 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 16, 2010 11:01 |  #31

I think it's interesting how bodies lose their value so quickly, yet the cost of the same old lenses just keeps going up. It's very frustrating actually. This is why I plan to put my $$ into lenses even before buying a body. The body will always be replaceable. I'm still wondering if the 50D was all that much better than my 30D and if I'd even spend the extra money for it. I, too, am awaiting the release of a 60D in hopes that the prices of the other bodies will decrease and I can stay with the hobby. Otherwise, the money stays in the bank and Canon can will have to await my business. Times aren't just tough for them!

Karin
50D | 24-70L 2.8 | 70-200L 2.8

sponsored links
reng2009
218 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 16, 2010 11:20 |  #32

KarinMichelle wrote in post #9620083 (external link)
I think it's interesting how bodies lose their value so quickly, yet the cost of the same old lenses just keeps going up. It's very frustrating actually. This is why I plan to put my $$ into lenses even before buying a body. The body will always be replaceable. I'm still wondering if the 50D was all that much better than my 30D and if I'd even spend the extra money for it. I, too, am awaiting the release of a 60D in hopes that the prices of the other bodies will decrease and I can stay with the hobby. Otherwise, the money stays in the bank and Canon can will have to await my business. Times aren't just tough for them!

I, too, did not feel the 50D was a worthy upgrade to my 40D. Despite the price increase, my next upgrade will be a 7D or its successor. There won't be a 60D -- the X0D line is dead.

Note that the X0D used to have an 18 month refresh cycle. With the 50D, Canon shrank the cycle to 12 months. It's been 18 months since the 50D announcement. Do you really think Canon will now *stretch* the refresh cycle to 2 years?? If there's no 60D in the next couple of weeks, there'll be no 60D ever...

Daniel ­ Browning
Goldmember
1,199 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 16, 2010 11:27 |  #33

professorman wrote in post #9619972 (external link)
There will be a 60D. It makes me sad how often Canon is coming out with cameras. My non-paying hobby cost quite a bit, and bodies devalue quite fast.

Huh!? I don't understand that at all. Stopping rapid improvements in order to stop rapid devaluation would be ruinous. Imagine if Canon and other manufacturers listened to you: the 5D2 would not be on the market, and the 5D would still be selling new for $2500. Your used 5D would have more value, so you could sell it for a higher price than you can now. But what will you buy with that money? There is nothing better to replace it with, because improvements stopped coming just as you requested. What if your 5D breaks? Instead of buying a new 5D2 with many improvements for $2500, all you can get is another old 5D.

Avoiding devaluation has only one possible benefit that I can think of: getting out of photography all together results in more money. For anyone who wants to stay in it, it's a major loss.

Daniel

andrewc
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 16, 2010 11:40 |  #34

for marketing reasons, any 60D will have HD Video and live view. However, its not compulsory to use them.

Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography • Facebook Entry • Canon EOS 7D / 50D / 40D / 24-105L / Sigma 100-300 f4 / 50mm f1.8 / Tamron 28-300 / 2x Canon 580EX2 flash / Interfit and Lastolite studio gear / Manfrotto supports / Lowepro Stealth Reporter AW650 and Computrekker

Brianbar
397 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 16, 2010 11:43 |  #35

reng2009 wrote in post #9620073 (external link)
?????

No manufacturer *ever* reveals their future plans.

As I said previously, Canon do not care about their users. They are a marketing company. And right now, they're focused on competing with Nikon, not catering to your wishes. If you can't afford to buy a 7D, tough titties. Canon do not give a crap.

If you switch over to Nikon, you'll be facing a similar decision...

7D <---> D300s
T2i <---> D90

Notice that Nikon do not have anything in between, either.

Your coment makes no sense, if Canon as you said, are only concerned about competing with Nikon, how do you think there are going to do that without people like you and I buying their product.
I worked for a manufacture for many years, and we did our best to give the customer what they wanted.
Brian

tongki
439 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 16, 2010 12:14 |  #36

raylfreeman wrote in post #9616225 (external link)
To me it does as I care nothing about video.

60D will feature video also,
have you ever seen new Canon cameras without video features and upgraded ?

EOS 70D x 2 units + EOS 7D mark II x3 units
Newton FR3, Newton modified bracket, EF 17-40mm x4,EF 24-70mm f/2.8 x2, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 x2
Quantum Trio x2, T5D-R x1 + FW7Q x1, CoPilot x2, Godox AD-180 x5
Propac PB960 head x12, PB960 battery x10
sorry, no stupid speedlite from Canon !

KarinMichelle
109 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 16, 2010 12:16 |  #37

reng2009 wrote in post #9620220 (external link)
I, too, did not feel the 50D was a worthy upgrade to my 40D. Despite the price increase, my next upgrade will be a 7D or its successor. There won't be a 60D -- the X0D line is dead.

Note that the X0D used to have an 18 month refresh cycle. With the 50D, Canon shrank the cycle to 12 months. It's been 18 months since the 50D announcement. Do you really think Canon will now *stretch* the refresh cycle to 2 years?? If there's no 60D in the next couple of weeks, there'll be no 60D ever...

Yeah, I'm starting to think there won't be one too... Question is, do I go back to the 30D, 40D, or 50D? I can't afford the 7D, nor do I need it for my own purposes.

Karin

CanonHowitzer
304 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 16, 2010 13:14 |  #38

NiftyFifty wrote in post #9616395 (external link)
saw new 50D body only's on ebay a few days ago for $650 including a 16GB SD card... is that too good to be true?

That one sounds a little too good IMHO.
Good luck.
:)

BTW- A 50D uses a Compact Flash card, not SD.

EOS 50D, 17-55/2.8, 85mm/1.8, 70-200mm/f4 IS

carlXSI
315 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 16, 2010 14:11 |  #39

I thought Canon already stated the 7D is a completely new line and will not be replacing the XXD line.

6D | 17-40L | 70-200L | 35 2.0 IS | 430ex II | flickr (external link)

MrWho
Goldmember
1,199 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 16, 2010 14:13 |  #40

reng2009 wrote in post #9620073 (external link)
If you switch over to Nikon, you'll be facing a similar decision...

7D <---> D300s
T2i <---> D90

Notice that Nikon do not have anything in between, either.

I can understand where you're coming from with the T2i statement and the other company did away with the second control wheel + top LCD when they went from the D50 to the D60, but if Canon did the same, what would compete with the D90? There would be nothing at the D90 price point with similar features. The Top LCD and second wheel would probably be really missed which is something others complained about when the other company did it.

Gear

Daniel ­ Browning
Goldmember
1,199 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 16, 2010 14:21 |  #41

carlXSI wrote in post #9621365 (external link)
I thought Canon already stated the 7D is a completely new line and will not be replacing the XXD line.

That's partially correct. Chuck Westfall, a Canon USA Marketing person, stated the following in tech tips (external link):

Why wasn’t the new camera named 60D? Because the 7D is considered to be the start of a new series in the EOS line-up. It ranks higher than xxD models like the 50D, just as the 50D ranks higher than the 500D even though both have APS-C sensors with the same resolution.

So they did say that it's a completely new line, but they did not explicitly state that it will not be replacing the x0D line.

Daniel

KarinMichelle
109 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 16, 2010 16:20 |  #42

Daniel Browning wrote in post #9621446 (external link)
That's partially correct. Chuck Westfall, a Canon USA Marketing person, stated the following in tech tips (external link):

Why wasn’t the new camera named 60D? Because the 7D is considered to be the start of a new series in the EOS line-up. It ranks higher than xxD models like the 50D, just as the 50D ranks higher than the 500D even though both have APS-C sensors with the same resolution.

So they did say that it's a completely new line, but they did not explicitly state that it will not be replacing the x0D line.

So where exactly does the 7D fall in all this? I had the 300s by Nikon. Amazing camera. Can't afford the 7D plus lenses at the moment. Contemplating getting a 40D or 50D, but are these just going to be ancient history and worthless after a month? Maybe I should just invest in a 30D and worry about a higher-end body when the price of the 7D falls? It's totally crazy. All this barrage of bodies. Was it always like this with film? I remember having a Nikon FG back in the day with all third party lenses and being fine with it. WTH? :rolleyes:

Karin

reng2009
218 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 16, 2010 16:25 |  #43

Brianbar wrote in post #9620388 (external link)
Your coment makes no sense, if Canon as you said, are only concerned about competing with Nikon, how do you think there are going to do that without people like you and I buying their product.
I worked for a manufacture for many years, and we did our best to give the customer what they wanted.
Brian

People like you and I will either move up to the 7D or move down to the T2i. That's how they'll make money. There's no law that says there has to be a product at the $1300 price point.

For years, Canon positioned the X0D line in between Nikon's D100/D200/D300 and D70/D80/D90 pricewise. It would appear this strategy wasn't working too well for Canon. Nikon has been eating Canon's lunch in the prosumer space.

Hence, the 7D is positioned against the D300s. And the T2i is looking good against the D90. Sure, it doesn't have a pentaprism viewfinder, and the D90 has better build quality. But the T2i has lots of great new features, including 18 mp and a fabulous movie mode. It's no accident that the T2i is priced within $20 of the D90.

reng2009
218 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 16, 2010 16:27 |  #44

KarinMichelle wrote in post #9620601 (external link)
Yeah, I'm starting to think there won't be one too... Question is, do I go back to the 30D, 40D, or 50D? I can't afford the 7D, nor do I need it for my own purposes.

I'd suggest the 50D until they discontinue it. After that, too bad. There'll be a few unhappy Canon users, but that's how the cookie crumbles...

reng2009
218 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 16, 2010 16:30 |  #45

MrWho wrote in post #9621377 (external link)
I can understand where you're coming from with the T2i statement and the other company did away with the second control wheel + top LCD when they went from the D50 to the D60, but if Canon did the same, what would compete with the D90? There would be nothing at the D90 price point with similar features. The Top LCD and second wheel would probably be really missed which is something others complained about when the other company did it.

The T2i would compete with the D90. It has a pretty impressive feature set, and it's no accident that it's currently priced within $20 of the D90.

Look, no DSLR is perfect. The T2i may not have all the features of the D90, but it has lots of other qualities. This is the basis of competition between Canon and Nikon.

sponsored links

16,502 views & 0 likes for this thread
60D Body price?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.