Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 16 Feb 2010 (Tuesday) 12:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ever stop to think how cool digital is?

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 16, 2010 12:01 |  #1

So yesterday I had the day off work. I was playing around with my kids and took some impromptu portraits. A couple of them turned out pretty nice. So I printed them, framed them and hung them on the wall. So what, right?

I did all of this without leaving the house in about an hour total, and it was easy. Now I know a lot of you can also do this, but ever think how cool and spoiled we are? Think even 10 years ago when 97% of us still shot film for anything important, and almost nobody had good photo printers at home. If you were like most people, you would have to take your negatives to the lab and wait for processing, not even sure if you had any good shots. If you had a home darkroom, it was a messy and somewhat complicated procedure that required a small dedicated room in your house. Even 4-5 years ago when I starting shooting digital, home printing was not quite there yet so I would have to wait a day or 2 for prints. Now all you need is a small desk with a computer and printer. And the computers and printers are practically free. My $100 Canon printer can produce prints rivaling our local photo lab if I use good paper.

Maybe it is just me, but I sometimes I am just amazed how fun photography has become. Less work, and instant results - for relatively low costs.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

sponsored links
Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 16, 2010 12:03 |  #2

Yup!

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 16, 2010 12:40 |  #3

If it were not for DSLR I would just be taking snapshots with a P&S occationally, or possibly using my Minolta SLR with kit lens once in a while for kicks, but I do not think I would be anywhere near as interested in photography as I am today.

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

CanonHowitzer
304 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 16, 2010 12:42 as a reply to  @ DStanic's post |  #4

Ansel Adams used to have to take a big tripod camera and glass film plates up the mountains.

We are lucky to be digital.
:cool:

EOS 50D, 17-55/2.8, 85mm/1.8, 70-200mm/f4 IS

doubledragon
Goldmember
1,205 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 16, 2010 12:50 |  #5

definitely agreed.
I took some photo class in college, and spent way too much time messing up in the darkroom and wasting expensive film to really enjoy it. circa 2001, and I remember my professor when someone asked why we can't shoot digital, he said with a smug chuckle, "digital will never match the quality of 35mm film."

Years later, when i got my first digital point & shoot, I was thrilled to be taking pictures and experimenting for relatively little cost. Took it up a notch in 2006 with a rebel series, it's been fun and instantly gratifying ever since!

Philadelphia Wedding Photography (external link)
gear list

Mosca
542 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 16, 2010 13:57 as a reply to  @ doubledragon's post |  #6

It first struck me a few years ago. We were out on the Nescopeck Creek, fishing and taking pictures. My brother in law had his laptop with a cellular modem (this was several years ago when they were not common). I took a shot of my daughter catching a fish, and we emailed it to my sisters. Right there from the creek.

That was when I knew the times were a changin'.

Chairman7w
Goldmember
1,259 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 16, 2010 14:00 as a reply to  @ Mosca's post |  #7

Great post tkbslk, I think it's important to look at the big picture sometimes and appreciate all the great stuff we got!

Too easy to get caught up in the day-to-day grind. Thanks for bringing this up!

Thalagyrt
D'OH. I need to wake up some more.
4,816 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 16, 2010 14:07 |  #8

doubledragon wrote in post #9620864 (external link)
definitely agreed.
I took some photo class in college, and spent way too much time messing up in the darkroom and wasting expensive film to really enjoy it. circa 2001, and I remember my professor when someone asked why we can't shoot digital, he said with a smug chuckle, "digital will never match the quality of 35mm film."

Years later, when i got my first digital point & shoot, I was thrilled to be taking pictures and experimenting for relatively little cost. Took it up a notch in 2006 with a rebel series, it's been fun and instantly gratifying ever since!

You should email that professor and see if he's eating his words at the moment. :D

James

FELINEDEBOURGES
591 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 16, 2010 14:10 |  #9

I do appreciate it, but I also am amazed at what I can get from film as well. It had been so long since I'd shot color film that when for an assignment for my first digital photography and PS class required us to shoot a roll of color film so we could scan the negatives and the prints to see what we could do with them in PS I was blown away by the results of my film exposures. I had been shooting digital exclusively for so long that I only remembered the really crappy blurry family snapshots of my childhood and because of that I had it in my mind that color film sucked. I didn't put two and two together to realize that it wasn't the medium but the camera operator who made the photos look terrible.

Anyhow I do love digital and am mesmerized by what I can so easily do with it and so quickly. I don't understand the science behind it, and I don't think I have the capacity to understand it without my head exploding either - lol - but I appreciate it nonetheless.

sarahashleyphotography​.com (external link)

rogazilla
372 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 16, 2010 14:41 as a reply to  @ FELINEDEBOURGES's post |  #10

I do!

But I often wonder if anyone will make one that gives me back all the manual controls EXCEPT with a digital sensor so I dont have to process the film. I know it is a step backward but I think I'd buy it in a heart beat.

Roger
My Zenfolio (external link)
Gear List

tkbslc
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 16, 2010 14:46 |  #11

Sorry, I don't follow. What manual controls don't you have on the 450D and 7D that they had on film cameras?

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,982 posts
Gallery: 128 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 16, 2010 14:48 |  #12

No question that digital has been extremely satisfying for me. It's enabled me to experiment in a manner that was cost prohibitive when I used film. BUT....... the COOLEST THING was the very first time I saw an image "magically appear" before my eyes in a tray of developer. That left a lasting impression..... :D

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

rogazilla
372 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 16, 2010 15:02 |  #13

tkbslc wrote in post #9621641 (external link)
Sorry, I don't follow. What manual controls don't you have on the 450D and 7D that they had on film cameras?

I guess it didn't come out right. I basically want it completely mechanical. I want to feel turning the ring for aperture. a prism on the focusing screen. no computer assist me in anyway. closet thing I can think of is Just something I considered to get say a m4/3 (example, GF1 or Oly e p1) + some old lens but those don't have a view finder or they have the evf (which I dont think its ready yet). I doubt many people wants the same thing... But basically I want to take my dad's old minolta from the 70's and use it but replace film with digital sensor but nothing else. Not sure if that make any sense :lol:

Maybe I need to get a beer and take my camera out and shoot instead of sitting here coming up with crazy thoughts.

Roger
My Zenfolio (external link)
Gear List

banpreso
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 16, 2010 15:05 |  #14

digital is so cool! instant result and no need to pay for film and go to darkroom!

but back in the day everyone with a slr knows what they are doing, not anymore. but honestly that's okay.

Flickr (external link)

masterwillems
502 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 16, 2010 15:08 as a reply to  @ banpreso's post |  #15

I think that if there was no digital, I would not be shooting. It would be to expensive for me to pay all the films, processing, and not knowing if a picture would come out nice.

Hell I love digital for that matter :D.

Hello!
Gear

Name:
Jeroen

sponsored links

3,097 views & 2 likes for this thread
Ever stop to think how cool digital is?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.