Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 17 Feb 2010 (Wednesday) 22:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

how derivative can you be?

nuffi
926 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 17, 2010 22:04 |  #1

So I am wondering about ... ethics isn't quite the right word... maybe I'll settle for how much you can get away with.

If someone sees an awesome, amazing photo that was very original and quite unique, and then executed that very same photo and managed to get something that was also a very wonderful image, is it okay to post it on a largely anonymous internet forum? What about publish it in a book?

Even though it was pretty much identical?

As an example, a reasonably popular deviantart pic called "Bear in a Cat" of a white cat's paw... If I took it with my own white kitten and posted it, would that be okay? What if I changed it up by using my jet black kitten instead? The end result is an almost identical image...?

A second example, another deviantart pic call "f f" of a woman holding a couple of fish so that their eyes are in place of her eyes. It is a cool, surreal idea. If someone were to do the same thing, use that idea with a different model, perhaps even different fish, would that be okay to post as a cool idea on a forum? What about publishing in a book? Displaying in a gallery? The end result is different because the model (and maybe the fish) are different.

I hope you get the idea about what I am asking from this... Where do you draw the line and why? What is legal? How much plagiarising is ok?

sponsored links
JohnHemlock
182 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 17, 2010 22:27 |  #2

I go to MOMA, take photographs of photographs, and hang them in a guest bedroom. When people see my Arbus or Lange photos, they ask me if I took them.

And I can honestly say yes. Errr. . . . somewhat.

So I might not be the best person to ask.

Powershot A530, 2 AA Batteries, Wrist Strap

nuffi
THREAD ­ STARTER
926 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 17, 2010 22:36 |  #3

John, thanks for the response. I seek as many different opinions as I can get to this one, and being as you're someone who's already done it, I think yours is a great place to start!

So.... you have taken pics of some of the greatest images created by the guys incredible enough to be hung at MOMA... And you've hung them in your living room. Would you post them here? Put your name on them and put them anywhere public?

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,234 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 17, 2010 22:36 |  #4

Copying a particular style or technique can be considered an homage, a sign that you respect the original photographers work. But restaging the image is ethically suspect even if it doesnt rise to the level of copyright infringement. I'm not talking about swiping a pose from a photo you've seen in a wedding album, or even a famous photo as long as you arent copying all the elements. But trying to duplicate the exact elements of a photo could even be copyright infringement. Case law in mixed on this. More importantly why not just make your own creative images.?

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,719 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2002

Feb 17, 2010 23:04 |  #5

I look to photos like that for inspiration, not duplication. I hope I can see an idea that strikes me and yet can put my own creative twist on it using a different setting or elements.

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

SOK
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 18, 2010 04:06 |  #6

nuffi wrote in post #9630902 (external link)
How much plagiarising is ok?

Don't worry about it. Just go for it. Everybody does.

I also recommend print-screening and cropping out watermarks of things I think are REALLY good.

:D

OK, seriously now; your examples are a bit extreme IMO. There's inspiration and then there's...well, copying someone's idea of the fish eye thing.

I personally don't see what you'd get from re-creating the scene and posting it somewhere...apart from proving that you could do it, in which case I think you'd be better off with quiet personal satisfaction rather than the potential embarrassment of being seen as a blatant, unimaginative copy cat.

If you can't help yourself, post your images with some words stating who your influences were and a link to their images/works in question.

Steve
SOK Images - Wedding and Event Photography Gold Coast (external link)

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 18, 2010 06:44 |  #7

Blatant copying is copyright infringment, however if you take an idea and add your own slant to it It becomes a work in its own right.

Take David Hockneys collages as an example -http://www.hockneypict​ures.com/works_photos.​php (external link). To produce a collage is not copying Hockney, but to go out and reproduce his would be copyright infringement, tacky and a waste of time IMHO.

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

birdfromboat
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 18, 2010 13:12 |  #8

put your own slant on a photo of a pitcher at point of release, the tetons at sunrise, a pro-stock drag car with it's front wheels airborn but not spinning, etc.etc.etc. Why is an art photo idea any different than a well known and often repeated theme in another category of photography? Those that copy are not as sucessful as the innovators in the long run, if you beleive in karma, truth, justice and the american way.

5D, 10D, G10, the required 100 macro, 24-70, 70-200 f/2.8, 300 f2.8)
Looking through a glass un-yun

sponsored links

1,487 views & 2 likes for this thread
how derivative can you be?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.