Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Dec 2009 (Saturday) 13:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D Mark II Precision Grid Focusing Screen

ChristopherMadison
527 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 05, 2009 13:51 |  #1

Just wanted to know some opinions on the precision grid focusing screen for the mark II. Is it worth replacing the factory installed one with this and why? If anybody could give me some insight on this, I would really appreciate it.

My Gear

sponsored links
Theus
154 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 05, 2009 13:56 |  #2

I have all three screens. The precision one stays in my 5Dii all the time now. I wouldn't be without it. I really like the extra focal-plane feedback it gives. It does make slower lenses pretty dark though. I'll swap out the precision one for the normal one if I know that I'll be using slow zooms (e.g. taking the 100-400 out for the day). I rarely use the grid one.

S95 - 5D mkII

ScootersDaddy
398 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 05, 2009 13:57 |  #3

I have one in my 5dmkii and it's really useful for helping keep your horizons straight. Also makes it easier to compose shots when you want to use the rule of thirds. Simple to replace and worth trying. The new 7D actually has it built in as a viewfinder option which is really nice.

--Peter
Bodies may come and go but L glass is forever.
PhotoBlog (external link) Gear List

John ­ Z. ­ Goriup
76 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 05, 2009 14:09 |  #4

On my 5D and now on my 5DMkII I replaced the standard screen with the grid screen even before I took the camera home from the local dealer. Why ? because I have read way too many C & Cs from the know-it-alls on this board who criticize posted landscape photos for having the horizon ever so slightly askew, but more importantly, I use my beloved TSE 24 II a lot,and for getting vertical liones perfectly parallel to the edge of the photgraph when doing architectural work there is no better or quicker way than the grid-screen: but please, don't take this too literal & say to yourself, I don't have a TS lens and I don't do architectural work so I don't need it. It helps in general and particularly with wide-angle photography, because it allows you to clearly see the angle of converging lines on buildings, which can be really distracting. With the grid lines as a guide it's easy to compensate camera angle.

JZG
Leica M9 + M6TTL- 24 f2.8 Asph., 35 f2, 50 f2, 90 f2 Asph.
5D Mk II w/ BG-E6, 24 f1.4 IIL, 24 f3.5 TS IIL, 35 f1.4L, 50 1.2L, 100 Macro f2.8L, 400 f5.6L, 580 EX Mk II
Gitzo GT3541L w/ RRS BH-55PCL head, Gitzo monopod, & RRS QRs and L-plates

ChristopherMadison
THREAD ­ STARTER
527 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 05, 2009 15:07 as a reply to  @ John Z. Goriup's post |  #5

Yeah, I don't do architectual or have a TS Lens. It's the general photography category that I fit into. So, if the grid really helps, I think I might try it. Anybody know where to get it cheaper than the $40 I've seen?

My Gear

Matthew ­ Hicks ­ Photography
Goldmember
2,552 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 05, 2009 15:12 |  #6

I haven't bothered with the grid so I can't comment on it, but since I picked up a couple of L primes and the precision screen, I've been very happy with that screen in there. As long as I don't end up using my slower zooms inside, it gets the job done very well indeed.

Calgary Wedding Photography by Matthew Hicks: www.matthicksphoto.com (external link)

Absolutely ­ Fabulous
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 18, 2010 01:13 as a reply to  @ Matthew Hicks Photography's post |  #7

any links for these?

http://www.belovedlove​photography.com (external link)my website (external link)

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 18, 2010 01:15 |  #8

Absolutely Fabulous wrote in post #9631666 (external link)
any links for these?

Official Canon Site:
http://www.usa.canon.c​om …17662#SNAModelS​uppliesAct (external link)

BH Photo
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …een&N=0&Initial​Search=yes (external link)

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

Absolutely ­ Fabulous
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 18, 2010 01:17 as a reply to  @ themadman's post |  #9

seems a neat idea, any draw backs?

http://www.belovedlove​photography.com (external link)my website (external link)

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 18, 2010 01:59 |  #10

Absolutely Fabulous wrote in post #9631674 (external link)
seems a neat idea, any draw backs?

Hmm... not free? Keep in mind the super precision one darkens the view finder a bit and not made to be sued with lenses slower than 2.8.

7D has some options built in which is cool.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,831 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 18, 2010 05:18 |  #11

The EG-S screen is an absolute must if you use fast lenses (faster than f/2.8).

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

james_in_baltimore
494 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 18, 2010 08:21 |  #12

themadman wrote in post #9631780 (external link)
Hmm... not free? Keep in mind the super precision one darkens the view finder a bit and not made to be sued with lenses slower than 2.8.

7D has some options built in which is cool.

Just a small correction here. The super-precision one only darkens the screen for lenses slower than f/2.8. Lenses at f/2.8 and faster, there is no apparent darkening. I have one in my 40D and feel it makes a huge difference. When I move to the 5D MKII, it will be the first thing I get. Of course, I also prefer fast lenses.

James Harris Photography - Weddings Portraits Events (external link)
Canon 7D, 5D Mkii, 580EX II X2, 430EX, ST-E2
24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 17-40mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.4

phigment
230 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 18, 2010 09:00 |  #13

cscoopnj10 wrote in post #9140739 (external link)
Just wanted to know some opinions on the precision grid focusing screen for the mark II. Is it worth replacing the factory installed one with this and why? If anybody could give me some insight on this, I would really appreciate it.

Keep in mind you can only install ONE of the precision (Eg-S) or grid (Eg-D) at a time.

The precision screen does not have a grid, and the grid screen does not have the super precision finish.

I have the precision in all the time. My slowest lens is f/4 and I don't find a problem with darkness. The more precise Dof in the viewfinder is really nice on fast lenses.

A7R, Firin 20mm, CV 21/4, CV 40/1.4, 100ZE, 300 4LIS, Tamron 150-600, Jupiter 8, RX100 IV

BluewookieJim
Goldmember
1,095 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 18, 2010 09:00 |  #14

Wow. I really need to look into this. I tend to manual focus a lot with my better lenses, this looks like something I need to try asap. Actually, both the EG-D and EG-S screens look interesting.

My Gear and Stuff :: My Zenfolio Gallery (external link) :: My Flickr (external link) :: http://photos.kodanja.​net (external link)

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 18, 2010 14:22 |  #15

phigment wrote in post #9632869 (external link)
My slowest lens is f/4 and I don't find a problem with darkness.

thats so yesterday.... :) just kidding i find it quite good but would prefer a split screen like I have in the ds

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

sponsored links

7,431 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D Mark II Precision Grid Focusing Screen
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.