Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 15 Feb 2010 (Monday) 05:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Withdrawal sucks...

AlphaChicken
Knot Hank
3,569 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 15, 2010 05:03 |  #1

This is me quitting cigarettes, opiates, and that entire lifestyle: Tortured.

Anybody have any positive words or encouragement for me? I feel pretty depressed...as I am leaving all my friends and activities from that life behind. That ends up keeping me up at night. All night.

This is the second night in a row I have gotten no sleep. That makes two days of being up, with something like a measly 3 hours of restless sleep.

I just hope this ends soon...and when it does, I hope that I still think it was worth it to quit. I would hate to slip and have to do this ever again.

I am Henry. NOT Hank. And certainly not a length of rope tied in a knot. ;)
My family calls me Hen, but you can call me Chicken. See you out there!
|Deviant Art (external link)
|Facebook (external link)|Gear List

sponsored links
Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,482 posts
Gallery: 114 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Feb 15, 2010 05:53 |  #2

At some point, you will touch bottom and look up to see the sunshine! It is worth quitting...I guarantee!

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 15, 2010 06:23 |  #3

Just put aside all the money you would have spent on your previous lifestyle and see how much money you have at the end of a week or month.

Buy yourself something worthwhile with that money or treat your family to a holiday.

My Father in law quit from 60 a day to zero one night and built an extension to his house 1 year later with the money!

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

AlphaChicken
THREAD ­ STARTER
Knot Hank
3,569 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 15, 2010 16:07 |  #4

Thanks for the help guys... :) I finally got some sleep. It felt so frickin nice to be able to relax and drift off. This makes five days now since I stopped cold-T.

Thalagyrt
D'OH. I need to wake up some more.
4,816 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 15, 2010 23:02 as a reply to  @ AlphaChicken's post |  #5

I've been on prescription medication for a considerable bit of my life, and one of them when you don't have it is equated to the withdrawal symptoms of heroin... I've had that happen and it isn't a fun experience at all... I can't even begin to say I know what you're going through having never been there, but keep your chin up, try to sleep as much of it off as you can, even though that may not be much, and don't look back whatever you do.

There are some natural vitamins that might help you sleep during this time - try taking a tryptophan supplement. It should be over the counter at your local CVS/Walgreens/etc... It's just a pure extract of a compound found in turkey that metabolizes into seratonin which puts your body into a more relaxed/calm state and makes it easier for you to sleep. Your body does this naturally, but certain compounds (such as opiates) impede the production/metabolism of seratonin and that causes you to not be able to sleep, so that's where a seratonin-inducing supplement comes in. After a while on drugs in the various families that impede seratonin production your body really slows down production and it takes a long time for it to ramp it back up. It's non-habit forming, completely natural, completely safe, and completely legal (naturally, as it's over the counter!) I've used it for years to protect my sleep, which is pretty much the most important thing for someone with my condition.

If you feel comfortable with it call your local pharmacist and ask them if they have any thoughts on natural supplements to help you through this. I'm normally not a proponent of natural remedies as most of them are just shams/placebo effect, but this is one that is scientifically backed, and the pharmacists will likely know other things that could help you get through this. They're legally considered doctors and are bound by the Hippocratic Oath as part of their license and as such your call and anything else is confidential - they can't say anything to anyone.

If you ever feel yourself being drawn back, well, you have us, you have your camera, but aside from us I'm sure you have family and good friends who will show you support as well. If you can, find someone close to you that you trust to support you through this. Keep yourself distracted and busy during the day as much as you can. You'll get through it and won't regret it one bit. It's just going to be one hell of a ride getting there.

I know this was been long winded... I just know that in the few times talking to you in RRTP you're a pretty cool guy. I had no idea any of this was going on, but now that I do I hope somehow I can help you continue to find your way out of it! :)

James

AlphaChicken
THREAD ­ STARTER
Knot Hank
3,569 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 18, 2010 19:15 |  #6

Thanks to everyone who has posted here. Inspiring words to say the least. It has been tough so far, but 8 days have passed now since I made the decision to quit. Going strong so far... :)

Thalagyrt
D'OH. I need to wake up some more.
4,816 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 18, 2010 19:19 |  #7

AlphaChicken wrote in post #9636535 (external link)
Thanks to everyone who has posted here. Inspiring words to say the least. It has been tough so far, but 8 days have passed now since I made the decision to quit. Going strong so far... :)

Keep up the good work! We miss you in Tupperville by the way, come back! :D

James

AlphaChicken
THREAD ­ STARTER
Knot Hank
3,569 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 18, 2010 19:49 |  #8

Thalagyrt wrote in post #9636546 (external link)
Keep up the good work! We miss you in Tupperville by the way, come back! :D

Too much hardship and time spent on this to go back to my addictions. :D

I have been slacking off with the RRTP, expect to see me back around some now.

Tracon
541 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 18, 2010 21:08 |  #9

Howdy! Just saw this thread. What is it, day 8 now for you? Keep going strong. I still smoke cigarettes but I have quit other things, the first few days are always the toughest, but day 8 is a solid bit of time clean. Keep on keepin' on! You're inspiration man!

Cameron | Gear | Flickr

eeeksNYC
602 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 18, 2010 21:20 |  #10

Oh man...I have begun my battle to quit smoking this past Feb12th. It's hard since I was smoking since I was a kid. But it's just time.

Sadly, I don't have anything encouraging to say, since I'm pretty much in the same shoes as you. But if its any help, you're not going it alone.

Instead of smoking, I've been trying to force myself to get up and shoot...it helps get rid of the nervous energy/habitual movement of smoking...and helps to kickstart the creativity...

Good luck..and if you need to ****..hit me up!

eeeksNYC (my blog (external link), my flickr (external link))
zeiss ikon icarex 35s,5D MK1/ EF 28-70 f2.8L / Sigma 50mm f1.4 / Sunpak 383s / Cybersyncs / and a couple bags of other stuff....http://www.flickr.com/​photos/29075737@N02/ (external link)

AlphaChicken
THREAD ­ STARTER
Knot Hank
3,569 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 18, 2010 21:47 as a reply to  @ eeeksNYC's post |  #11

You guys are awesome. :)

Glad to hear you are making the effort as well eeeksNYC. To quit from a habit you have had since you were a kid, man. That is an extremely noble thing to do. Its a toughie thats for sure. I wish you the best of luck.

I am lucky that I decided to stop early on.

The one thing that has helped me the most is knowing I will be so much better off and more healthy once this withdrawal is gone.

fryefoto
431 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 18, 2010 21:53 |  #12

Good for you Henry!! Quitting ANYTHING is tough! Giving up multiples - that much harder. You've got a great headstart. Keep reminding yourself WHY you are doing this and that YES it IS worth the effort. And, eeeksNYC, offering your time is very encouraging. Good luck to both of you and all the others that are reading this thread and saying "me too".

Candy

Learning more each day how little I know.

AlphaChicken
THREAD ­ STARTER
Knot Hank
3,569 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 18, 2010 22:11 |  #13

fryefoto wrote in post #9637431 (external link)
Good for you Henry!! Quitting ANYTHING is tough! Giving up multiples - that much harder. You've got a great headstart. Keep reminding yourself WHY you are doing this and that YES it IS worth the effort. And, eeeksNYC, offering your time is very encouraging. Good luck to both of you and all the others that are reading this thread and saying "me too".

Thanks for the kind words! :)

And I agree, eeeks, you are a very selfless person for posting what you did. Bravo to you, and it WAS very encouraging to me.

Graphyfotoz
695 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Feb 20, 2010 00:29 |  #14

Well.......
I smoked for 30 years.....May 23rd 2009 I finally quit!
Cold Turkey.....I tried several times and the crave nailed me.
CHANTIX worked for me.....I never thought I'd quit after 30yrs!!
Guy at work smoked for 50yrs used the Chantix and He is smoke free 3 months now.

Addiction to smokes is likened to Cocain and is hard to kick.
My Dad kicked it CT and I'm sure it works for some.....hope it does for you.

BUT if you need to look into the Chantix....it was worth it...no doubt!!

I have about 200 extra bux a month now!!

Fujifilm FinePix HS20EXR 30x 16mp
Canon PowerShot SD780 IS
(Friend Me on FaceBook - Jim Bolden)

sponsored links

1,468 views & 0 likes for this thread
Withdrawal sucks...
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.