Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 24 Jan 2010 (Sunday) 23:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Backpack for camera, lenses, tripod, laptop, and lunch

Johnsoir
416 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 19, 2010 13:14 |  #31

I can vouch for the Kata 3-n-1 Series, I own the 3-n-1 30, the largest without a laptop compartment. Though I know someone who has the model with the compartment for a laptop.

On a daily bases, I pack;
a gripped 40D with 70-200 2.8IS attached,
17-40,
100mm Macro,
50mm 1.8 or 45mm Tilt,
80GB Hard drive,
memory cards,
spare batteries,
cleaning supplies,
and a Light Meter.

Depending on what I'm doing that day I can use the top compartment for;
a 580 EX II, 430 EX II, radio triggers, cords and extra battiers,
or
580 EX II, radio triggers, and a lunch,
or a lunch and a light sweater or heavy shirt or an extra pair of pants/shorts.

As for the tripod, I don't the proper attachment for a tripod, though I have ball-bungeed a compact tripod (~60cm when compact, 1.5m when extended) to the back. And I once ball-bungeed a Induro 413 with head to the back, though I suggest not putting that much weight onto the already filled bag, as it tends to get heavy quick.

I also carry a 16"x22" Photoflex on the side via ball-bungees and the softboxes bag.
softbox.

The bag has lasted me over a year, with very few signs of wear. I don't find the straps super comfortable, but they beat the Lowepro CompuTrekker, I used to own.

If you have less gear I think it is the perfect bag, though I think I have hit the limit of how much you can stuff into it.

5D MKII w/Grip, 40D w/ Grip, 400D w/ Grip, EFs 18-55mm, 17-40 F4L, 70-200 2.8 ISL, EF 75-300 III USM, EF 50mm 1.8, EF 100mm 2.8 Macro, Pentacon Six 45mm Tilt, Composer Lens Baby, 430EX, 580EXII,....and big dreams.

sponsored links
mitch2k1
130 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 19, 2010 22:09 |  #32

Go for the TT Streetwalker Hard Drive, airplane friendly, holds a laptop, comfortable for a day on your feet. I carry the following:
5D Mk II with 24-70 (or 70-200 or 100-400) attached, 70-200 or 100-400, 17-40mm, 100mm macro, 15mm, lensbaby composer, 580ex, G10 (if the wife feels like shooting), laptop, misc. filters, hex wrenches, chargers, cords etc. I adjust contents based on whether I am travelling, or shooting. If you drop a lens or 2 (or the G10) and or flash you can probably stash a sandwich and granola bar. I had the Lowepro Primus AW (not CompuPrimus) found the camera section too small as well as the daypack section. The Compuprimus doesn't look to be much larger.

Gear List:
Canon 5D MkIII
24-105mm f4L 70-200mm f2.8L Zeiss 50mm 1.4 Zeiss 18mm 3.5 Zeiss 25mm 2.0 100mm 2.8 Macro USM

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 20, 2010 11:55 |  #33

the flipside 400 or TT streetwalker hard drive bags are both very good setups. the next aspect is determining whether you will always carry your setup around with you or plan on expanding your equipment in the future.

although laptops are nice, they will kill your shoulder with the added 4-5 pounds over time.

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,273 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 20, 2010 17:46 |  #34

Other photographers may have very valid reasons for carting a computer around during their photo shoots; it's just that I don't...

I can't see spending a whole day shooting with a computer on my back. When would I use the computer during the day? I certainly wouldn't need or want to stop on a park bench to download or post process my images or send and receive email!

I always carry a computer with me on my travels and my work-flow is to down load my images every evening and copy these to a pair of small 500GB external hard drives but, I have never entertained the idea of carrying the computer around during a day's shoot. Instead, I leave it in my room. However, if I didn't have a room and needed to hump the computer around for that reason; I would certainly need to also hump toilet articles and changes of clothing unless I wanted to make the trip unwashed and in the same set of clothes.

Now that I think of it, in traveling the world, I have met backpackers in just about every country who smell like they are traveling with one set of clothing and no access to soap and water.

I don't even fly with my computer in my camera bag. I carry it in a separate case since I will most often have it out and am working on it when I am in the air...

I also need to mention that I don't shoot using a pack at all. Instead, I carry my two 1.6x cameras with lenses attached on an OPTECH Dual Harness and carry any additional gear including snacks (I tend not to need much food when I am working) in my Domke Photo Vest....

I will travel to China in April and will transport my gear in a Lowe Pro Mini Trekker AW. This pack will fit my 30d and 40D cameras and three lenses (17-55mm f/2.8 IS, 70-200mm f/4L IS and 12-24mm f/4 Tokina) and two flashes plus additional miscellaneous accessories such as Kata Raincover, CF cards, Batteries, etc. and will weigh under the 5 Kilogram weight limit on China Airlines for economy class carry-on bags. The Mini Trekker rides piggy back on my small wheeled suitcase between where I stay and the airline luggage check in. I then carry the Mini Trekker either on my back or by its top handle from check-in to the overhead compartment. I am lucky on this trip since my wife is carrying her small computer as carry-on. I will use that and download to a pair of Western Digital external hard drives each evening. During flights, I will carry one hard drive and my wife will carry the other.

My travel tripod, a modified SLIK Pro 330DX which, with a Flashpoint F-1 Arca Compatible ball head (which weighs 2.5 pounds total and will support my 40D and 70-200mm f/4L IS lens with no problem) rides in its own case in my checked-on suitase. If I am going to need the tripod, I will carry it in its case over my shoulder during a shoot.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

jeyaganesh
438 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 24, 2010 09:23 as a reply to  @ RPCrowe's post |  #35

I am also looking for the same type of bag.

I would like to carry 5D Mark II, 24-70mm, 17-40mm, 100-400mm, a flash unit, 15.4" laptop and its power unit and a book. I have planned to buy the above mentioned camera and lenses in 2nd half of this year. But I need a bag now for traveling to near by cities.

Currently I am having Canon gadget bag 10EG. It is enough only for camera and lenses not for book or any other travel stuff.

So far, I think Lowepro Fastpack 250 is my first choice except for carrying tripod. :)

It has good space for my camera and lens collection. It also has a separate top space for book, laptop power and lunch box. It has side opening for laptop. It has comfortable side opening for taking camera out.

My second choice is Kata BP 502.:) It has no separate space for carrying extra stuff. But it has more room for camera and lens collections than the Fastpack. Out of three vertical columns, one column can be used for carrying book and other stuff.

The camera can be easy taken out through top opening. This top opening make this bag comfortable than the Lowepro Vertex series. It also has stylish look and side straps for carrying tripod.

I will think more about these two bags and purchase one soon :D

Jay. Flickr (external link) 500px (external link) Canon EOS 5D Mark III, Canon AE-1 Program, EF 135mm f/2.0 L, EF 35mm f/1.4 L, EF 17-40mm f/4.0 L. (external link)

Fstop-Ian
329 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 24, 2010 20:25 |  #36

dpark wrote in post #9468788 (external link)
John, the F-stop bags seem really, really nice, but I don't think they're what I'm looking for right now. I'm looking for a lighter/smaller bag that I can carry in the city (sans tripod) or for short hikes (with tripod). I don't really need a true backpacking setup yet (though I expect to buy one eventually). I'd really prefer something I can fit under an airplane seat, which is one reason the TT Streetwalker HD is looking to be the likely winner.

Hi dpark,

Just a heads up for you and others looking for similar sizing. We have new pack coming in May called the Loka. Details are not 100% locked in but I can tell you that it fits either are Large or new Medium ICU, has a removable aluminum frame and is about 28L. It also has a bunch of new features currently not on our packs like flash card slots, rain cover and stash pocket, water bladder holder and few other items. I have been using it all winter and recently did a stressful 8.5 day with it trekking around the Kita Alps. So it should be good for more urban use as well.

We have a preorder special on until the 28th... if anyone is interested in those details just email me ian@fstopgear.com (external link)

If you have support related questions regarding F-Stop Gear, please email an@fstopgear.com (external link) or visit www.fstopgear.com (external link)

Miss ­ Frizzle
423 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 09, 2010 21:18 |  #37

Okay, this thread has been super helpful for me as I am looking for something very similar. What did dpark end up choosing???

Canon XSi // 50 1.8 // 55-250 // Sigma 10-20 // 17-50 2.8

davidtalbert92
120 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 09, 2010 21:36 |  #38

Miss Frizzle wrote in post #10151429 (external link)
Okay, this thread has been super helpful for me as I am looking for something very similar. What did dpark end up choosing???

Wondering the same thing myself as I am in the same boat.

Gear: 40D, Canon 15-85 IS (Both for sale)

dpark
THREAD ­ STARTER
376 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 04, 2012 01:05 |  #39

I know this is rather late, but I feel like I should update since I finally have a resolution here. My trip in 2010 ended up getting cancelled and then pushed past 2011 as well, but we're going this year, so I finally got a backpack. So I'm sorry for the delay, but I hope this info will be useful to other people who stumble across this thread.

I never did find exactly what I was asking for, but I ended up buying the Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW (external link), which gets me basically everything I want now, which is somewhat different than the list I asked for two years ago.

Here's the list I wanted originally, along with what I actually get from this bag:

Holds an XSI with 11-16, 17-55, and 55-250 lenses
The Photo Sport 200 AW will hold a lens on the camera and another lens or a flash in the camera compartment. Depending on how creative you want to get and what gear you're carrying, you might be able to squeeze in more, but it's not really designed for it. I'll probably be carrying my XSi plus the kit lens (never bought the 17-55, but it should fit) and the 55-250 in the camera compartment, and if I want them, the 11-16 and 30mm in the top compartment in their own little cases. Alternatively, I can carry the camera plus one lens on a strap and likely squeeze everything else into the camera compartment.

For travel on a plane, I'm pretty sure I could just stuff my 5MDH in the top and that plus the camera compartment of the bag would hold everything I own. I haven't tested this, though.

Laptop
This was always lower on my list, and indeed this bag would not hold my old laptop (which was a 15"). However, this bag does have a spot for a water bladder, and in that place, I can easily fit a 10" tablet. I also confirmed that I can squeeze in a 13" MacBook Air in that spot if I preferred.

Tripod
My tripod ended up ruling out a bunch of bags. The 3530LS is a big freaking tripod. With a Markins M-20 on it, it's over 30" tall when fully closed. Putting this in the side stretch pocket of a backpack was not an option (I tried; it was ridiculous and uncomfortable). Putting it in the back stretch pocket was no better, and even on bags that have a drop-down tripod "cup", it was pretty bad. The LowePro Flipside 300 is going back because of this. Having this size tripod hanging off the back of the pack is extremely uncomfortable (it feels like it's tipping you backward, because it is). If the drop-down cup isn't deep/low enough, it's even worse.

The Photo Sport 200 has so far worked well for the tripod. I put it on the right side, threading two legs into the compression strap at the top and then through lower strap on the side (intended for holding a water bottle snugly, I believe). While I wouldn't quite call it comfortable, it's far more comfortable (or less uncomfortable) than any other way I've found to carry this tripod.

My advice in this area is to get a smaller tripod. :) If you don't already have a big tripod, and don't need it, then buy something more suited for travel so you can carry it more comfortably.

Jacket and lunch
No problem at all. The top compartment has plenty of space for this kind of stuff.

I ruled out a bunch of other bags for various reasons:

• ThinkTank StreetWalker HardDrive - Looked like a suitcase on my back, couldn't carry my tripod on the side, and didn't really have a place for non-camera gear without putting it in the camera compartment (those front pockets are slim).
  • Kata Bumblebee 222 - The straps felt really weird (made of rubber; not a pleasant feel in my opinion) and thing is huge.
  • Crumpler Sinking Barge - Again, this thing was huge. I felt ridiculous, and I'd go for something like the F-Stop Loka long before this.
  • Crumpler Customary Barge - Even bigger version of the sinking barge; no way.
  • Kata 467 - Couldn't find a comfortable way to carry my tripod, and it was again much bigger than I expected. I've learned from this and other bags that "holds 17-inch laptop" means "you better be a big guy, because this is a big freaking bag".
  • Flipside 300 - I thought this was going to be the one, but it was really uncomfortable once I strapped on my tripod. It also looks strange and extremely boxy in person, and of course it won't really hold a laptop (though that's no longer a major issue).
  • Clik Elite Compact Sport and Probody Sport - Side access was nice, but I feel it's on the wrong side for someone who's right-handed. Shoving my tripod in the mesh pocket on the other side was also not really acceptable.
  • Case Logic SLRC-206 - This was a close contender. I did not try this in person, but it was next on the list to try if the Photo sport 200 hadn't worked. If you're looking for something similar to what I was looking for, you might want to take a look at this.
  • Lots and lots of others - No way to carry my tripod comfortably, often way too big or way too small (there are surprisingly few camera backpacks that look "backpack sized", at least in my opinion), uncomfortable straps.

The Photo Sport 200 I got does have a few other bonuses as well. Specifically, it's got side access to my camera gear, holds the tripod on the right side (probably a drawback if you're left-handed, along with the left-side camera access), has sternum and hip/waist straps, it's comfortable, looks like an actual backpack (albeit a hiking backpack), and generally looks nice, or at least I think so. I got it in orange.

I hope this info is useful to someone else. I'll try to update after the trip (in a few weeks) with my thoughts after using it more.

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 04, 2012 01:32 as a reply to  @ dpark's post |  #40

hurray! Closure; the best feeling on the internets... ;)

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

bent ­ toe
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 04, 2012 06:31 |  #41

dpark wrote in post #9464611 (external link)
I've been looking at backpacks for some time now, and I'm starting to come to the conclusion that the bag I want doesn't actually exist. I'm hoping someone can tell me I'm wrong.

Basically, I want a backpack that can hold an XSi with 11-16, 17-55, and 55-250 lenses (that's not actually my current gear, but the 11-16 will be purchased in a few months, and the 17-55 will be next after that), along with a laptop, a 3530LS tripod, and some room for lunch/jacket/misc stuff. The closest I've found is the Kata 3n1-33. However, the shoulder straps on the Kata kind of suck, and more importantly, Kata says the tripod won't fit. The Kata DR-467 or the Tamrac Aero 85 both look nice (and very similar), but again the tripod seems to be a no go.

The best I've come up with so far is to get the Lowepro Flipside 400, move some dividers to make room for a sandwich, and leave the laptop at home. Is there a better option?

To clarify what I want/need: the backpack must hold the gear I mentioned above and the tripod. Next is some room for personal stuff/lunch/whatever, and then last comes the laptop. It must also be a backpack (not a shoulder bag with a tripod taped to it), and it can't be crazy huge (Kata 3n1-33 size is fine, Tamrac Adventure 10 is not) because I want to be able to wear it all day, and in the city (probably sans tripod). A good hip/waist strap would be a welcome addition, as would a sternum strap.

So, any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Lowepro slingshot 203 AW
SLINGSHOT 302 AW
INTERIOR CAMERA COMPARTMENT:
11.4W x 5.9D x 10.6H in.
29 x 15 x 27 cm
EXTERIOR:
13.4W x 11D x 18.1H in.
34 x 28 x 46 cm
FITS:
Pro DSLR with attached zoom lens (up to 70-200mm f/2.8); 4-6 lenses or flash units and accessories; compact tripod; personal items.

You can fit your gear inthere AND your lunch in the personal space on top.

Video: http://products.lowepr​o.com …ingShot-302-AW,2193,4.htm (external link) (video shows 202AW though)

"High life on low budget"
bent photos (external link)Portfoliobox (external link)
X-Pro1 XF 35 f/1.4

dpark
THREAD ­ STARTER
376 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 04, 2012 09:20 |  #42

The slingshot might be a good option for others, but it'd be a poor fit for me. I'm personally not a huge fan of sling bags, and my tripod is most definitely not compact. :)

bent ­ toe
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 04, 2012 09:25 |  #43

dpark wrote in post #14813023 (external link)
The slingshot might be a good option for others, but it'd be a poor fit for me. I'm personally not a huge fan of sling bags, and my tripod is most definitely not compact. :)

Then you should continue your search :)

"High life on low budget"
bent photos (external link)Portfoliobox (external link)
X-Pro1 XF 35 f/1.4

dpark
THREAD ­ STARTER
376 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 04, 2012 11:40 |  #44

Well, I've found mine now. :) The Photo Sport 200 seems a good fit for my needs.

happy2010
Looking for the light first
559 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 05, 2012 14:19 |  #45

Bag, bags and more bags… the story of photographers' lives - can’t live with them and can’t live without them! Right?

While it is good news that OP DPARK has found an individual solution that works for his specs, after a thorough & lengthy search...

Here is just an F.Y.I. (for anyone else still searching)- yet another perspective and only one opinion of a bit of backpack bag info…
Depends on the intended application, venue etc. but given the original post POTN DPARK’s thread title and if CRITERIA is: streamline/relative bag compactness, with good capacity(including future needs) and lightweight, then potential backpack purchasers may want to consider the newer, (launched in last year or so), LOWEPRO PRORUNNER AW Series backpacks… (see below for Lowepro PRORUNNER AW series links)

The Lowerpro PRORUNNER AW series appears to be a slightly redesigned version of Lowepro’s almost identical (with the belt now narrower on the ProRunner series) to the proven & very popular MINI-TREKKER AW & MICRO-TREKKER AW backpacks which were discontinued in approximately mid- 2011 and referenced by RPROWE(POTN entry # 34 above).
i.e. appears Lowepro has remarketed the Mini & Micro Trekker AW series as the ProRunner AW series.

Like RPCROWE, I have the Lowepro MINI-TREKKER AW (for 2 camera backpack applications) and also the Lowepro MICRO-TREKKER AW (for 1 camera backpack applications) - both great value bags by every criteria!! Here is a sample of both bags capacity…

MINI-TREKKER AW
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Trekker_AW_Bac​kpack.html (external link)
(holds: all with lens hoods reversed 1DmkIII with mounted 70-200f2.8L IS USM+mountedTC2XmkII, 5DmkII, 24-70f2.8L, 85f1.2L, 16-35f2.8L, compact macro 50f2.5; front pocket: 2-580EXII, Pocket Wizards 2-TT5, 2-TT1, 2-AC3, spare AA batteries, 2-Rogue Flash Bender–large, 2 Sto-Fen, lunch, compass, cell phone; hideaway mount: Gitzo #GT1542T tripod &/or Sirui #BSRP-326 monopod http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …Section_Carbon_​Fiber.html (external link) https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​t=1139696; exterior loop: water bottle).

MICRO-TREKKER AW
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …ro_Trekker_200_​Black.html (external link)
(holds: all with lens hoods reversed 1DmkIII or 5DmkII either body with mounted 70-200f2.8L IS USM+mountedTC2XmkII, 24-70f2.8L, 85f1.2L, 16-35f2.8L, compact macro 50f2.5; front pocket: 2-580EXII, Pocket Wizards 2-TT5, 1-TT1, 1-AC3, spare AA batteries, 2-Rogue Flash Bender–large, 2 Sto-Fen, lunch, compass, cell phone; hideaway mount: Gitzo #GT1542T tripod &/or Sirui #BSRP-326 monopod; exterior loop: water bottle).

[For shooting bags/setups, I have the ThinkTank Speed FreakV2, Speed Racer V2, (Think Tank Skin modular system for air travel) and Lowepro S&F belt modular systems(if rugged outdoors/nature needs more protection than the good Think Tank Skins provide) combined with Cotton Carrier vest & holster for 1DmkIII & 5DmkII]. All great products too.
I ideally try to keep my bag’s weight in the comfortable and agile 10-12lbs range, but because of applications sometimes 15-18lbs range, but still for sustained manageable weight for any long outdoor multi-location shooting. If not doing prolonged walking then preferring the Lowepro or Think Tank waist-belt modular systems, or convenient Think Tank Speed series shooting bags].

LOWEPRO PRORUNNER AW Series-
(In front compartment/pocket, capacity for: lunch, tablet or small notebook &/or bulkier space consuming speedlights) Also has the exterior provision of hideaway tripod/monopod mount & “Sliplock” attachment loops to add on exterior pouches, water bottle, etc.
Don’t let the inside ID: Depth 4.5”deceive you as, I can carry pro-bodies such as a 1DmkIII, or a 5DmkII.

PRORUNNER 200AW:
http://products.lowepr​o.com …Runner-200-AW,2181,14.htm (external link)
[ID: W9.8” x D4.5” x H11.8” Wt: 2.5 lbs]

PRORUNNER 300AW:
http://products.lowepr​o.com …Runner-300-AW,2182,14.htm (external link)
[ID: W11” x D4.5” x H15.3” Wt: 3.0lbs]

If want to also carry a large 15” laptop may want to consider the below, with separate laptop compartment:
However, once adding features of 15” laptop capacity, bag weight increases and when combined with the laptop weight, may make carrying any backpack uncomfortable for any length of time.
PRORUNNER 350AW:
http://products.lowepr​o.com …Runner-350-AW,2183,16.htm (external link)

PRORUNNER 450AW:
http://products.lowepr​o.com …Runner-450-AW,2184,16.htm (external link)

Just one more bag option/consideration… hope this may help anyone else going through the same thought process as OP DPARK did.
Bag selection… a long and winding road - it's always such an individual preference process.
Have fun, “don’t worry – be happy”!

Mary

MARY

sponsored links

14,531 views & 0 likes for this thread
Backpack for camera, lenses, tripod, laptop, and lunch
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.