Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 17 Jan 2010 (Sunday) 09:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

camera bracket for PW or Cybersync

joey1234
538 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 17, 2010 09:31 |  #1

I am looking to use a pocket wizard or a cyber sync connected to my cameras sync port, and use a flash on its hot shoe. Any one know of a goo way to get the transmitter mounted to the camera easily?

Thanks!

sponsored links
111t
577 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 17, 2010 10:51 |  #2

I generally use a stroboframe flip bracket. If I'm using the 580II on the bracket, the transmitter has to plug into the side of the camera. I used some velcro to stick the transmitter to the vertical arm of the bracket. If i'm using the 285... i plug the vivitar into a wein safe sync plugged into the hotshoe. The transmitter can then slide on top of the safe sync. The only problem is that i have to use the calumet 4 channel transmitter because the cybersync is too tall for the swing arm to clear it. That sucks because the cybersync is a much better radio trigger...

EDIT: See below about the incompatibility of cct and safesync hotshoe.

All The best!
-Paul

WHAT TO DO IF YOU DON"T HAVE A LIGHT METER AND YOU STILL WANT TO MAKE INTELLIGENT EXPOSURE DECISIONS.

pablo9
91 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 19, 2010 13:56 |  #3

Custom Brackets folding T bracket. (external link)

I mount my PW under the flash, between the upper bracket and the camera.

canondslr
940 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 20, 2010 04:18 |  #4

Hi 111t, can I ask you something about vivitar flash + wein safe sync ?
I was trying to use vivitar 283 on my 5D, so I used the wein safe sync in between, but it would not trigger it. is there anything that i did wrong ? the set up is just very direct, camera + wein + vivitar 283, thats it.
TIA

111t
577 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 20, 2010 07:35 |  #5

canondslr wrote in post #9644845 (external link)
Hi 111t, can I ask you something about vivitar flash + wein safe sync ?
I was trying to use vivitar 283 on my 5D, so I used the wein safe sync in between, but it would not trigger it. is there anything that i did wrong ? the set up is just very direct, camera + wein + vivitar 283, thats it.
TIA

I've gotten mixed results using the actual hotshoe on the safesyncs. I found that my cst would not work on that hotshoe unless i pressed it firmly down while it fired. (Which is completely impractical for normal use) Any flash with a rotating locking collar seems to work ok. The vivitars have that locking lever thing so i don't know... I mainly use the safesync to connect my 285 to the hotsoe on the camera with a cord. The actual flash is mounted on a bracket arm. Have you tried that? I use either a vivitar or paramount coiled pc to vivitar cord to connect the safe sync to the flash. IMO those are some of the better cords... but they wear out eventually. I always have a spare new one around. Good news is they're not very expensive.

I've since tested the sync voltage on my units, so if i want to mount them on the camera... i just mount them on the camera without the wein. I would recommend checking that voltage before you attempt that... especially with a 283. It could be ok. My 285's are from the mid 90's. Contrary to popular belief, high sync voltage was a problem long before digital cameras were on the scene. The voltage arcs across the flash sync contacts at the shutter. Eventually the contacts melt to the point that they don't touch when the shutter actuates. This could ruin the sync on a k-1000 mechanical camera as well. (I suspect there are other things on a digicam that could get fouled up by wayward HV zapping all over as well) I remember reading about sync voltage 'back in the day' in shutterbug. The later vivitar-vivitars were ok.

The next thing to test is whether the safe sync is working. Connect it by cord to another flash if adding the cord doesn't help. Gotta run!

All The best!
-Paul

WHAT TO DO IF YOU DON"T HAVE A LIGHT METER AND YOU STILL WANT TO MAKE INTELLIGENT EXPOSURE DECISIONS.

zelseman
Goldmember
1,922 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 20, 2010 16:12 |  #6

I use the stroboframe folding flip with my 430 ex with an off camera cord in the hotshoe of the bracket with the CST velcroed to the top of the camera end of the oc cord. Works perfect.

Gear List
Website (external link)/Blog (external link)

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 20, 2010 23:02 |  #7

joey1234 wrote in post #9410525 (external link)
I am looking to use a pocket wizard or a cyber sync connected to my cameras sync port, and use a flash on its hot shoe. Any one know of a goo way to get the transmitter mounted to the camera easily?

Thanks!

I guess Tracy doesn't want to reply to the advice posted.

The question is exactly what I did this weekend. I had the 580 in the hot shoe on Auto (for fill flash). I had a screw lock cable plugged into the pc port on the 40D. The cable was plugged into the Cybersync CST Transmitter which was attached to the end of the battery grip with gaffers tape. I used it during 7 basketball games without a single misfire. With my setup, the transmitter fired the Alien Bees and the 580 provided some fill flash when the teams/players were not in the right orientation to the strobes. Throw out that duck tape, gaffers tape is your friend! :-)

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

sponsored links

949 views & 0 likes for this thread
camera bracket for PW or Cybersync
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.