Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 22 Feb 2010 (Monday) 04:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Candid - over processed?

Pippy_Neville
39 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 22, 2010 04:23 |  #1

A candid shot, lit with hot shoe flash, and processed through LR with an extra tweak on the eyes in PS. I know there's a bit of a hot spot on the cheek, but this is the sort of style that I'm looking to develop.

Opinions on the processing? I kind of like it although it may be OTT?

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4028/4376445609_02d139a0df_b.jpg

Thanks,
pip

sponsored links
skydiver_8
362 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 22, 2010 04:29 |  #2

Not my cup of tea but if you like it that's all that matters. The cheek's hot spots are showing up Robin egg blue and blotchy on my monitor. I can't imagine that's the effect you were trying to achieve. The bokeh turned out great though.

===============

What if the Hokey Pokey is really what it's all about?

Pippy_Neville
THREAD ­ STARTER
39 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 22, 2010 04:41 |  #3

Thanks SD8. The more I look at it the more I need to re-process it... Still, it's given me a starting point.

S30L28
448 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 22, 2010 05:00 |  #4

The hotspot, to me, draws the focus around the details surrounding her eyes, rather than her eyes themself.

The separation of colors around the top of her hat is noticeable too. This also isn't my cup of tea.

-Brian

Equipement d'appareil photo
Seller Feedback:1 (external link), 2 (external link), 3 (external link), 4 (external link), 5 (external link)

SamAlfano
719 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 22, 2010 06:28 |  #5

Not my cup of tea either.

Rubi ­ Jane
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 22, 2010 07:44 |  #6

The blotchy hot spots on the cheek and nose seem like you pulled back the highlights in LR and that the original image was blown out in these areas and you tried to save it. The overall image is too harsh for my liking. The on-camera flash is harsh, the expression isn't engaging and the composition of just the head and lack of shoulders seem awkward.

Soften the flash and give the subjects a neck & shoulders.

Lindsey
Gear - Website (external link)

Pippy_Neville
THREAD ­ STARTER
39 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 22, 2010 09:08 |  #7

S30L28 wrote in post #9656811 (external link)
The hotspot, to me, draws the focus around the details surrounding her eyes, rather than her eyes themself.

The separation of colors around the top of her hat is noticeable too. This also isn't my cup of tea.

abigailandsam wrote in post #9656995 (external link)
Not my cup of tea either.

Thanks for your honesty guys. Seems like I have work to do.

Rubi Jane wrote in post #9657261 (external link)
The blotchy hot spots on the cheek and nose seem like you pulled back the highlights in LR and that the original image was blown out in these areas and you tried to save it. The overall image is too harsh for my liking. The on-camera flash is harsh, the expression isn't engaging and the composition of just the head and lack of shoulders seem awkward.

Soften the flash and give the subjects a neck & shoulders.

Thanks for the good feedback Lindsey. You are spot on about pulling back in LRoom! This was a test shot, a stop or two hot but I liked the expression on this one and tried to save it, partly unsuccessfully. I try to get my flash off cam, so will have to be more disciplined about that.

Chairman7w
Goldmember
1,259 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 22, 2010 10:35 |  #8

Sometimes it's not the processing, it's the shot.

Just not a lot going on here. Just somebody in a hat not looking at the camera.

No environment, no context...

Not feelin' it.

sponsored links

1,247 views & 0 likes for this thread
Candid - over processed?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.