Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 09 Feb 2010 (Tuesday) 21:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

.:Think Tank UD30 PREview:.

jacobsen1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 22, 2010 12:40 as a reply to  @ post 9658818 |  #16

yeah, something I should have done a long time ago honestly. Let me know when canon gives us a 5D sensor with 1Dii functions in the smaller body. Until then, I'm busy using the better tool for the job at hand. ;)

and now that Nikon made a 24mm 1.4 I really don't have a reason to come back, other than the fact Nikon's lenses are so damn expensive (but so good once you get them).

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

sponsored links
timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 22, 2010 14:38 |  #17

jacobsen1 wrote in post #9658521 (external link)
First off I really wish it had a second set of D-rings at the bottom for a chest strap. I could have sworn the original site/pictures of the bag showed this and now they've redone their site and I can't find those pics, but I've had to jury rig some spectra to make it work.

You might be thinking of the UD35--it has D-rings on the top & bottom, but it's also considerably taller than the UD30.

IMAGE: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/product-images/xlarge/Urban-Disguise-35-5.jpg

Glad to hear you're liking the bag. All of the bags in the UD line are top-notch IMO.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

jacobsen1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 22, 2010 16:00 as a reply to  @ timnosenzo's post |  #18

that's the thing though Tim, I'm wearing this on my chest as a larger holster bag with more space, but the UD30 is already very large for this, so the height and thickness (it's got the laptop space right?) of the 35 is out.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 22, 2010 16:14 |  #19

jacobsen1 wrote in post #9660253 (external link)
that's the thing though Tim, I'm wearing this on my chest as a larger holster bag with more space, but the UD30 is already very large for this, so the height and thickness (it's got the laptop space right?) of the 35 is out.

Right, I was just saying that you may have mistaken a picture of the 35 with the D-rings on the back to be a 30. I think the 35 would be much too tall to carry on your chest... unless your 7' tall.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

hfgarris
Goldmember
1,760 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 22, 2010 20:20 |  #20

Check out the Think Tank "Change Up" bag. It is about the same size and designed as a chest-mount, belt bag, or shoulder bag.

http://www.thinktankph​oto.com …/change-up-belt-pack.aspx (external link)

-howard

jhom
Goldmember
1,320 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 22, 2010 23:08 |  #21

hfgarris wrote in post #9661759 (external link)
Check out the Think Tank "Change Up" bag. It is about the same size and designed as a chest-mount, belt bag, or shoulder bag.

-howard

I have the CU. It is an excellent bag. But, it will not hold a body of any regular sized body with a lens attached. It is perfect for a 70-200 along side another lens such as a 24-70 or 16-35. I love it versatility and can be used as a chest bag.

Jim

My Gear

hfgarris
Goldmember
1,760 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 22, 2010 23:42 |  #22

jhom wrote in post #9662822 (external link)
I have the CU. It is an excellent bag. But, it will not hold a body of any regular sized body with a lens attached. It is perfect for a 70-200 along side another lens such as a 24-70 or 16-35. I love it versatility and can be used as a chest bag.

It will not hold a gripped/pro sized body, but the UD30 will not either. I removed the inner "bucket liner" on my ChangeUP and carry a 70-200/4 and a 5D-II mounted to a 24-105 quite often in the lens-down " T " position. It is too short to carry the 70-200 with camera mounted.

I don't feel it necessary to have the 'bucket liner" installed for padding since the camera gear has "me" plus the stored belt for padding on the back, and the extra padding of the front pouches and compartments on that side. I stuck extra padded dividers at the extreme ends of the bag for extra side padding.

-howard

jacobsen1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 23, 2010 07:31 |  #23

hfgarris wrote in post #9661759 (external link)

I did, and had I had enough money for both I probably would have tried it as well, but the ONLY issue with the UD30 for my use is the lack of the lower rings. It lives as a shoulder bag 365 days a year, it's used as a chest bag ~10 max. So I didn't want a waist bag that can be used as a shoulder bag or chest hag, I wanted a shoulder bag that could be used as a chest bag if you know what I mean...

if/when I ever move near a ski area again and get to shoot more often then I'll probably get one as well, but only if:

hfgarris wrote in post #9663006 (external link)
It will not hold a gripped/pro sized body, but the UD30 will not either.

it can hold a gripped D700.... But it's funny you say the UD30 can't, because it can. I just skied an entire day with my gripped D700 in it? It's a bit tight to zip, but that's only hard because they don't give you anything to pull against with the position of the zipper. The way my GF1 was in the bag with the 7-14 made the D700 site a bit higher which made it a PITA, but when the GF1 was out of the bag the D700 dropped right in and it would zip. Those shots above have the D700 gripped zipped inside the bag on my chest.

My Gear List

my sites:
GND buyers FAQ

hfgarris
Goldmember
1,760 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 23, 2010 09:56 |  #24

If you have a "tent and awning" shop or perhaps even a shoe repair shop in your area, they might be able to sew a loop with D-ring to the bottom corners of your existing bag which would work for you to attach your chest harness.

-howard

jacobsen1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 23, 2010 10:46 as a reply to  @ hfgarris's post |  #25

yeah, I live in RI so we have a ton of canvas shops for boat items. I need to get a jacket fixed anyway so that's not a bag idea... The spectra worked though. Not pretty but it got the job done.

My Gear List

my sites:
GND buyers FAQ

jacobsen1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 01, 2010 22:05 as a reply to  @ jacobsen1's post |  #26

I did a video review of this over the weekend, let me know what you think:
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=lFzdMq9TP1c (external link)

My Gear List

my sites:
GND buyers FAQ

HoRnYTuRbO
985 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 17, 2010 09:27 |  #27

jacobsen1 wrote in post #9710821 (external link)

thanks for the video! I made my order last night

-Vinny

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 19, 2010 21:33 |  #28

sabesh wrote in post #9584699 (external link)
Thx Jim! You've sold me on this bag. I might pick one up this week. Cheers.

Thanks for the review!

I'm a skier too (taught for 35 years) so I was glad to find this review.

I have the world's largest Lowepro belt pack. Used to put my F3HP+MotorDrive and a bunch of lenses in it. Then I would wear it in front.

Sabesh see you're still a bagaholic!

DaveL

Mississauga

(My name is Dave; I'm a bagaholic)

edit: My bag will need to fit a camera body and grip...

Dave

sabesh
678 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 19, 2010 21:36 |  #29

2mnycars wrote in post #9832699 (external link)
<snip>
Sabesh see you're still a bagaholic!

LOL, Yes. Now looking into a leather satchel :)

Sony A7R-II | 16-35FE | 24-70FE | 28FE | 55FE | 70-200FE ~FlickR (external link)

Jethro790
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 20, 2010 11:02 |  #30

jacobsen1 wrote in post #9710821 (external link)

First of all, great video, thank you for that.

Second, why do I watch these videos and read these reviews? Cripes. Now I must have this bag. Looks perfect for daily use.

Think it will fit 7D with 15-85 mounted, 10-22, 28 1.8, 70-300 all inside the main compartment? I was thinking I could stack the 10-22 and 28 1.8 on one side. If all that fits, then I must have this bag.

If you must know...

sponsored links

29,211 views & 0 likes for this thread
.:Think Tank UD30 PREview:.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.