Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 23 Feb 2010 (Tuesday) 00:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How the heck is this accomplished, cooling? Photoshop!?

Teak ­ McGlukes
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 23, 2010 00:03 |  #1

I see pictures like the one below all the time, and I can't figure out how it's done. I see many versions like it, a lot in wedding photos, etc. They usually have a fade to black circular border around the edge. Then the colors seem to have a very 'cool' feel to them.

The picture on the bottom is kind of the 'people' version of that. Can anyone help? How the heck is this done?

Thanks guys!

http://www.freewallpap​erdesktopwallpaper.com …ature-sunset-Voetmann.jpg (external link)

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net …65546095_133726​5_2166.jpg (external link)

sponsored links
Teak ­ McGlukes
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 23, 2010 00:05 |  #2

And how is this one done?

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net …65546095_133718​5_3967.jpg (external link)

Jigglypuff
101 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 23, 2010 00:19 |  #3

1) Circular polarizer. Vignette might be from the lens, but it can be added in PP
2) Nothing, really. The photographer did a good job of balancing ambient light and the subject. Vignette might be natural or from PP
3) Original image is overexposed and then desaturated in PP

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 23, 2010 00:28 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

I think your monitor may need calibrating

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

Teak ­ McGlukes
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 23, 2010 00:39 |  #5

Jigglypuff wrote in post #9663196 (external link)
1) Circular polarizer. Vignette might be from the lens, but it can be added in PP
2) Nothing, really. The photographer did a good job of balancing ambient light and the subject. Vignette might be natural or from PP
3) Original image is overexposed and then desaturated in PP

Thanks, man. I have been playing around with it, very cool. Thanks for not being a dick like other people on this thread.

emilysium
242 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 23, 2010 02:07 |  #6

Teak McGlukes wrote in post #9663273 (external link)
Thanks, man. I have been playing around with it, very cool. Thanks for not being a dick like other people on this thread.

Other people? But only two people replied...

I think the first person was being a little short, but not rude. I second his explanations.

Though Karl is very, very nice =) And the collection of auroras, SO COOL!

40D | 20D converted IR | 17-40L | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8 IS | 50 1.4 | 580EX II | flickr (external link)

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 23, 2010 02:10 |  #7

Teak McGlukes wrote in post #9663273 (external link)

Huh???

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

emilysium
242 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 23, 2010 04:08 |  #8

Oh, I just realized I misread his post.

Teak, I just looked at the threads you started, and it seems as though everyone has been very friendly and helpful...

40D | 20D converted IR | 17-40L | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8 IS | 50 1.4 | 580EX II | flickr (external link)

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 23, 2010 13:18 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

I say your monitor may need calibrating because the images look very orange...

Image of a sunset...nearly completely blown out orange highlights,
Image of a couple...really bronzed complexions...slightly underexposed
Image of a wedding pic....flat colors, desaturated, but not blue tinted. Slightly tanned complexions, kind of a weird off color, very overexposed....

Usually uncalibrated monitors are very "cool" and often the contrast is wonky
Thus your monitor may be uncalibrated. I figured maybe that explanation didn't need to be walked through but there you go.

I don't think you want to replicate that look, IMO it looks really bad.

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

spikeystitch
507 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 23, 2010 16:13 |  #10

Karl Johnston wrote in post #9666557 (external link)
I don't think you want to replicate that look, IMO it looks really bad.

+1. All of those photos with the exception maybe being the sunset are technically very bad. Blown highlights, WB issues, underexposed. *shudder*

:)

flickr (external link) - http://www.stokedonpho​tos.com (external link)
Gear: Canon 5dMKII + Grip, Canon 40 DCanon 24-105L f/4, Canon 50 mm f/1.8, 580ex II, Canon 17-40L f/4, Canon 85mm 1.8 & Canon 35L.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,381 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 23, 2010 16:30 |  #11

that last shot seems to be a style i've been seeing quite a bit now...i think many like it...here's a link to maybe get something similar?...not sure if it'd work or not...i haven't tried it myself, just bookmarked it in case i want to when i'm bored sometime:

http://veerle.duoh.com …photoshop_vinta​ge_effect/ (external link)

good luck...also short responses don't always mean the person is being a D*&K...a lot of times it's just easier, and when read online comes off bad...if Karl puts a smiley face after his comment it's all good...i rarely put smileys so i know that sometimes i might come off worse than intended

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,330 views & 0 likes for this thread
How the heck is this accomplished, cooling? Photoshop!?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.