Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 19 Jan 2009 (Monday) 19:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Alien Bees users check in!

this thread is locked
SPORTshot
440 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 23, 2010 20:56 |  #6406

kenyee wrote in post #9669444 (external link)
Totally different shape...much thicker metal.

I just received a HOBD today.....I would hate to see how thin the metal was on the old one. I'm actually pretty disappointed with the quality of it. I received it somewhat bent and out of "round" with a couple of dings. UPS was not careful with my boxes, two boxes had holes punched in them. One box was half opened on the bottom. Unfortunately I wasn't home when they were delivered or I probably would have refused them, of course my wife didn't bother to check the boxes.

The rest of the gear I am happy with but the dish doesn't seem acceptable, imo.

James
Gear: D3s,70-200vrII

sponsored links
yokotas13
558 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 23, 2010 21:01 |  #6407

kenyee wrote in post #9669444 (external link)
Totally different shape...much thicker metal.

yeah, i have an original, and i love it. never getting rid of it

-Grant
[URL=http://photograph​y-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=7493258&postcou​nt=1706]Gear List
check the blog- www.wagonofdoom.wordpr​ess.com (external link)

KolGar
128 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 23, 2010 21:04 |  #6408

I am hoping to get to join this thread soon! I was going to buy a AB setup from a guy this weekend, but got a email last night that he sold it already :( Guess I'll have to keep looking. If anyone wants to get rid of their's....let me know!!

71sbeetle
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 23, 2010 21:04 |  #6409

SPORTshot wrote in post #9669650 (external link)
I just received a HOBD today.....I would hate to see how thin the metal was on the old one. I'm actually pretty disappointed with the quality of it. I received it somewhat bent and out of "round" with a couple of dings. UPS was not careful with my boxes, two boxes had holes punched in them. One box was half opened on the bottom. Unfortunately I wasn't home when they were delivered or I probably would have refused them, of course my wife didn't bother to check the boxes.

I think the old one was thicker is what they meant

gareymartin.com (external link)
flickr (external link)
gear list | CPS.
eBay (external link) | POTN
VWVortex (external link)

Joshyouwah
537 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 23, 2010 21:07 |  #6410

Yeah my original BD seams pretty solid

-JOSHUADAHL
Website (external link)|Facebook FanPage (external link)|Personal Facebook (external link)|Twitter (external link)

SPORTshot
440 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 23, 2010 21:08 |  #6411

71sbeetle wrote in post #9669699 (external link)
I think the old one was thicker is what they meant

Oh, ok. I misunderstood, thank you for the correction. In that case it sounds like the old dish is better. I think a pop can is stronger than the new version !

James

wamguy89
Goldmember
1,738 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 23, 2010 21:16 |  #6412

SPORTshot wrote in post #9669650 (external link)

Stupid women!!

... Just kidding. I was pretty dissatisfied with the quality of my hobd, too, but then when I used it, I realized it was worth the money...

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 23, 2010 21:18 |  #6413

The biggest problem I have with the old one is "how to transport it" for location shhots. I'm curing that problem as we speak: I have a zippered bag coming from Jerry Kacey for it. Looking forward to being able to put it in something where I can actually handle the darn thing while going to and from.

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

SPORTshot
440 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 23, 2010 21:20 |  #6414

wamguy89 wrote in post #9669789 (external link)
Stupid women!!

... Just kidding. I was pretty dissatisfied with the quality of my hobd, too, but then when I used it, I realized it was worth the money...

Ha ha....I said the same thing (in my head of course). That makes me feel a little better, as long as it performs than I'll be ok. I didn't get a chance to use it yet, hopefully tomorrow.

James

Joshyouwah
537 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 23, 2010 21:23 |  #6415

george m w wrote in post #9669801 (external link)
The biggest problem I have with the old one is "how to transport it" for location shhots. I'm curing that problem as we speak: I have a zippered bag coming from Jerry Kacey for it. Looking forward to being able to put it in something where I can actually handle the darn thing while going to and from.

I got my Grandma to make me a drawstring bag to carry mine hahaha

But I think some companies may actually make a BD bag, I think B&H had some that might work.

-JOSHUADAHL
Website (external link)|Facebook FanPage (external link)|Personal Facebook (external link)|Twitter (external link)

The ­ Mack
445 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 23, 2010 21:30 |  #6416

I just carry it by the hole. Not really that big of a deal.

...http://ericmackblog.co​m (external link)

wamguy89
Goldmember
1,738 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 23, 2010 21:58 |  #6417

^Yeah, me, too... It's really not that bad. Putting it in a bag just makes it take up more space and harder to carry... Haha

S-Man
Goldmember
2,008 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 23, 2010 21:59 |  #6418

I keep mine in the original shipping box and use that for transport. It's a lot sturdier than the HOBD itself. I agree, the HOBD is like tin-foil.

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 23, 2010 23:02 |  #6419

I just carry it by the hole. Not really that big of a deal.

I have so danged much stuff that I carry with me to a shoot, I have a hand truck to carry it all ! LOL.
So I'm looking forward to the bag from Kacey so I can stack it or hang it from the hand truck while moving about.

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

jcp2000
988 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 24, 2010 00:17 |  #6420

GenuineRolla wrote in post #9639240 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

congrats petey high fing 5!

Canon 7D, Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG, Vivitar 285HV, AlienBees B800, Vagabond II, Cactus V2s, SLIK Able 300 DX

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,620,956 views & 0 likes for this thread
Alien Bees users check in!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.