Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Feb 2010 (Tuesday) 21:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Articulating Screen

prayharder
188 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 23, 2010 21:19 |  #1

I don't understand why so many people want an articulating screen on thier DSLRs.

It has always seems cheesey, and frail. It doesn't seem like it fits on a Xd series body.

I am not thinking clearly ?

Ben

My Gear / Info

sponsored links
bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 23, 2010 21:39 |  #2

prayharder wrote in post #9669808 (external link)
I don't understand why so many people want an articulating screen on thier DSLRs.

It has always seems cheesey, and frail. It doesn't seem like it fits on a Xd series body.

I am not thinking clearly ?

Ben

I think you're spot on. In my opinion, an articulating screen on an SLR does not serve much of a purpose. For the point-n-shoot crowd, sure. But not for the serious enthusiast.

Bryan

My Gear List

mattjns93
765 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 23, 2010 21:42 |  #3

bps wrote in post #9669989 (external link)
I think you're spot on. In my opinion, an articulating screen on an SLR does not serve much of a purpose. For the point-n-shoot crowd, sure. But not for the serious enthusiast.

Bryan

Keyword right there. These articulating screens will most likely be on the Rebels, and possibly the xxD, as these are aimed at the point-n-shoot crowd or the point-and-shoot-with-a-fancy-expensive-camera-I-can't-use crowd :p

5DII | 17-40L | 35L | 85L II | 50 1.8 | 430EX | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) (Please like it! :D)
Follow my photoblog of my study abroad in Florence! (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,671 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Feb 23, 2010 21:54 |  #4

If designed well, it will have its uses. Just like live view, video, and micro adjustments, people didn't think they had a place in the Canon lineup, now they are all accepted features.

If you don't like it, just keep the screen locked into one position.

I can think of 2 or 3 uses for this already.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

BiPolarBear
377 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 23, 2010 21:55 |  #5

I'd think macro shooters would love it.
And anyone shooting via live view on a tripod when the camera isn't at eye level.
For me personally, no. I could see myself snapping it off within the first week.
But it does have it's uses.
Greg

Best wide angle lens? Two steps backward. Look for the "ah-ha". - Ernst Haas

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,257 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 23, 2010 22:15 |  #6

Seems to me that would be a nightmare to weather seal.

GEAR LIST

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 23, 2010 22:25 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

bps wrote in post #9669989 (external link)

Bryan

Why not? I'd love one for those times when I have to contort at ground level when composing and focusing an image. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to rotate the LCD to a more comfortable position when needed. If not needed, just keep it locked in place.

I guess you being a "serious enthusiast", this would seem like a NOOB feature.

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 23, 2010 22:33 |  #8

When the situation arises, an articulating screen can come in quite handy. It's just another tool to be used when needed.

tundraman
321 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 23, 2010 22:45 as a reply to  @ crn3371's post |  #9

I guess I am one of those who wishes they would start putting articulating screens on. I could use it for macro, shooting a quick video holding the camera above heads in a crowd or when I have my camera placed very low to the ground and the lens is pointing towards the horizon...you get my drift.

Canon stuff and lots of it SmugMug Coupon Code: 9Sst64IEj4uzk Save $5 Instantly!!

toxic
Goldmember
3,498 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 23, 2010 23:09 |  #10

It has a use for anything that benefits from Live View. The problem is that it takes up a lot of space. I dunno about the sealing part.

doable
700 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 23, 2010 23:50 |  #11

I sure want it so I won't have to break my neck on low angle shots including insects, reptiles & amphipians, fungi, etc etc. Even flowers can be a real PAIN in the back/neck. If it was up to the elite nothing would ever change.

I Love my Canon,
http://abolitphotos.ca (external link)
Visu labu/All the best

abjam77
129 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 24, 2010 00:32 |  #12

Also they are great for sneaky candids. Hang the camera around your neck and look down, rotate the screen up and point at what you want to shoot. Great for shy photogs...

Portfolio (external link) : Blog (external link)
Canon 5D | Tamon 17-35 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | Tamron 70-300 VC | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 85mm 1.8 | Canon 430EXII

Lars ­ Daniel
170 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 24, 2010 01:23 |  #13

I believe that those who claim "not for the serious shooter" have just not found out yet, what a splendid tool live view is for certain things (pretty much anything where position is locked on a tripod). An articulating screen will make many of those situations nicer.

If it was up to the elite nothing would ever change.

LOL! Spot on. That self-established oh-so-serious elite. Yawn.

Previously Canon. Now Fuji. (-And loving it!)
www.larsdaniel.com

Anders ­ Östberg
Goldmember
3,395 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Feb 24, 2010 01:35 |  #14

tundraman wrote in post #9670413 (external link)
I guess I am one of those who wishes they would start putting articulating screens on. I could use it for macro, shooting a quick video holding the camera above heads in a crowd or when I have my camera placed very low to the ground and the lens is pointing towards the horizon...you get my drift.

I could use one too, for really low action shots with the camera close to the floor. As it is I have to shoot blindly and hope I managed to focus on the player.

I looked at the Zigview finder but it's too expensive and looks like it would be very easy to break.

Anders Östberg - Mostly Canon gear - My photos (external link)

bigpow
708 posts
Joined May 2002

Feb 24, 2010 01:51 |  #15

there are some shots where I wish I had them; love my old G2 for its screen.
taking a shot above water surface, is a piece of cake.

an option would be a removable viewfinder (back or top), that'd work too.

[5DM2: 50L, 100L, 24-105L, 70-200/2.8IS L II, Zeiss 2/35 ZE]
[Fuji X100S] [Sony A7 II: 55/1.8, 28-70]

sponsored links

7,656 views & 0 likes for this thread
Articulating Screen
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.