Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Oct 2009 (Monday) 08:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Who has returned their 7D ?

Saxi
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 23, 2010 22:24 |  #181

rakesh wrote in post #9670285 (external link)
Mine is also with Cano for same focussing issues. I'm yet to hear from them about replacement. Will call them today to check.

Usually only takes 7 days, you will receive a letter in the mail usually the day of or up to two days before you receive the camera back.

5D III, 24-105mm f/4 L, 135mm f/2 L, 70-200mm f/4 IS L, 580EX II
Full Gear List
Flickr Photostream (external link)

sponsored links
Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 23, 2010 22:52 |  #182

Saxi wrote in post #9670291 (external link)
Yeah, they will but I would not recommend it. The problem is if it gets lost in the mail, you will likely not have anyway to recover it. Both parties will blame the other and you will have no leverage to do anything. I would recommend spending the $20 and send it yourself.

I agree if it was the US postal service I would worry also. It was a UPS label with a tracking number. Upon repair, it was sent back to me by FedEX overnight, sig required.

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

FMX
612 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 23, 2010 23:20 |  #183

I just got my 7D... so far... loving it... Don't know why I would return it.

Is there anything bad to look out for specifically besides the AF? I don't know how to tell for sure..but I am about positive its focusing fine.

Saxi
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 23, 2010 23:22 |  #184

Mike R wrote in post #9670452 (external link)
I agree if it was the US postal service I would worry also. It was a UPS label with a tracking number. Upon repair, it was sent back to me by FedEX overnight, sig required.

I did it once, and it is UPS insured, the problem is they will fight to get the claim resolved if anything happens, and most of the time insurance is a waste anyway because they won't honor it. But you have at least a leg to stand on, you use their label and your at their mercy.

On the bright side, I send a lot of packages via FedEX and rarely anything happens, so the percentage is lower, and just insuring it for a decent amount of money usually helps make sure they take care of it, at least until the truck driver gets it then they don't really look at the labels for value they just toss stuff around.

Full Gear List

Saxi
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 23, 2010 23:24 |  #185

FMX wrote in post #9670584 (external link)
I just got my 7D... so far... loving it... Don't know why I would return it.

Is there anything bad to look out for specifically besides the AF? I don't know how to tell for sure..but I am about positive its focusing fine.

If you shoot things and the focus is where you expect it to be and where the focus point was highlighted, your probably fine. The problem I had was just pictures looked awful, nothing was really sharp, as I look at them closer things would be sharp but no where near where I was aiming. Like I would focus lock my sons eyes and his pants would be in focus. To be honest though nothing really was all that sharp either.

Full Gear List

artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,403 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 24, 2010 04:07 |  #186

Sounds more like a lens problem than camera if nothing was sharp as you are suggesting. It seems strange to me that you say you got good sharp shots for the first two weeks as well.

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 24, 2010 07:32 |  #187

artyman wrote in post #9671431 (external link)
Sounds more like a lens problem than camera if nothing was sharp as you are suggesting. It seems strange to me that you say you got good sharp shots for the first two weeks as well.

I had the same problem with my 85 f/1.8. I borrowed one to verify if it was my lens and had the same problem. I think the probelm is isolated to the first 7D's that were shipped. AI Servo was not doing its job. Two trips to Canon and seems OK now.

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

v_lestat
462 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 24, 2010 07:37 |  #188

thanks for the tips guys. i have no problem paying for shipping, but no one is admitting to a problem. i spoke with the Canon SE for my region (central USA) and he refused to acknowledge any issues, neither did the store owner.
I work for a distributor, not for cameras though, so i am well versed in this blame and denial game from manufacturers, i just feel completely screwed over here, although the store owner did replace the first one but not without some gentle persuasion and canon will attempt to repair what ever i send them, but for this much money.. why am i going thru this??

the bigger problem for me is that not only does my 85 and 50mm not work (properly) on the 7D anymore, the 85mm seems to be messing with the focusing on the XSi backup unit too which has NEVER been an issue.
and i know that its nearly impossible for a lens to alter a camera but i have had 3 cameras now do this same thing (2x 7D's and 1x XSi). and now the 50mm isnt focusing right on either camera either. wierrrrrrrd right?

but again thanks for the tips, i will try to get time today to call canon usa. their closest repair center is only a couple of states away so its not like i am sending it to tenbuktoo.

i also really wanted to get the sigma 30mm f/1.4 but now i dont think i will. not until i get a solid working camera via exchange or repair... it's bad enough sigma has QC issues on this lens but now not even the camera will work right with it (maybe)

rakesh
225 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 24, 2010 07:51 |  #189

Saxi wrote in post #9670295 (external link)
Usually only takes 7 days, you will receive a letter in the mail usually the day of or up to two days before you receive the camera back.

The SErvice Centre is almost 15 Kms from my place and I personally handed over to them. The Service Manager was out of country hence the engineer was not able to convey message to her about the fault. Todai called up Canon Service but unfortunately Service Manager was busy in meeting. I'll call them tomorrow again.

Gears:
My WildLife Gallery :
http://www.justwildlif​e.com (external link)
My Kids Project Galleries : http://www.facebook.co​m …otography/15851​1907574485 (external link)

v_lestat
462 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 26, 2010 23:05 |  #190

ok well i just called canon, here's how the call went.

[rep] hi thank you for calling canon how can i help you.

[me] yeah i have a 1 week old 7D that has a focusing issue. No matter what lens i use i am at about a 50% success rate for focused subjects. this i low light, day light, inside outside. And the Ai Servo never, ever gives me focused subjects. So i would like to send it in for service.

[rep] ok can i get the s/n of the camera

[me] yup, xxxxxxxx

[rep] (he verifies my personal info) ok we'll have you go ahead and send the camera back to NJ, and i will email you the instructions along with the address. (and he reads off all the info too)

[me] do you have an RMA # or repair number for me?

[rep] no they will create that once they get your camera

[me] whats the typical turn around?

[rep] 5-7 days

[me] ok. what about lenses do i need to send those. cuz it happens with all my lenses

[rep] you can send some in if you feel that the lens is contributing to the problem.

[me] ok

[rep] ok, is there anything els ei can do for you?

[me] nope i think that covered it.

[rep] ok thanks for calling canon

ok,, is it just me or was that call, that lasted all of 10 minutes, just way WAYYYY to quick....
the rep never once, not one single time trouble shot anything.... didnt ask me any questions, didnt do anything. just said ok you have a focusing issue go ahead and send it in.

this to me SCREAMS that they are very well aware of a wide spread issue and they are telling the tech support reps to not even trouble shoot the problem, just send it in for repair.

Waldemar ­ Sikorski
Goldmember
2,746 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 26, 2010 23:17 |  #191

It's just you.

Val.
http://picasaweb.googl​e.com/sikorskienator (external link)
Picasa albums organized by bird species. (external link)
7D gripped, 40D gripped....100-400L Yes, it's taken with the Sigma 150-500.

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 26, 2010 23:22 |  #192

I'd say it's fairly typical. Many service center call personnel may not be knowledgeable in technical stuff and their job is only to tell the customer to send it in. Just basic stuff, basically just administrating a service process.
my 2 cents

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8
Gabe Balazs Photo (external link)
Nature Shots Portfolio (external link)

Ziffle
Goldmember
1,896 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 26, 2010 23:25 |  #193

v_lestat wrote in post #9691846 (external link)

[me] yeah i have a 1 week old 7D that has a focusing issue. No matter what lens i use i am at about a 50% success rate for focused subjects. this i low light, day light, inside outside. And the Ai Servo never, ever gives me focused subjects. So i would like to send it in for service.

[me] yup, xxxxxxxx

[rep] (he verifies my personal info) ok we'll have you go ahead and send the camera back to NJ, and i will email you the instructions along with the address. (and he reads off all the info too)

[rep] 5-7 days

[me] ok. what about lenses do i need to send those. cuz it happens with all my lenses

[rep] you can send some in if you feel that the lens is contributing to the problem.

[me] ok

ok,, is it just me or was that call, that lasted all of 10 minutes, just way WAYYYY to quick....
the rep never once, not one single time trouble shot anything.... didnt ask me any questions, didnt do anything. just said ok you have a focusing issue go ahead and send it in.

this to me SCREAMS that they are very well aware of a wide spread issue and they are telling the tech support reps to not even trouble shoot the problem, just send it in for repair.

I have not read the entire thread .....
But a tech/customer service representative does not have the time to phone-trouble shoot an issue. Especially if the problem is the user ... how does customer service tell the customer you don't have the skills to handle the camera.
I am just saying....

Sounded like he/she was fast and efficient to take care of you and get your camera repaired.

anyway - i have a 2 week old 7D that loves taking pictures - stills and video.

I hope your camera comes back in fine shape....

Later,
_Mark

v_lestat
462 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 27, 2010 00:39 |  #194

i dont know where you guys are from but i have worked for several big name companies and if i was being monitored and just told some guy to send it in for service and didnt offer a minute of trouble shooting, didnt ask them one question... i would have gotten written up for being an idiot.

on the flip side, i am glad i got it setup... i'll send it in along with my 85 1.8 and 50 1.4 and ask them to make sure those 2 lenses are dead on.

then, maybe i can trust the camera enought o go buy the sigma 30 1.4

Saxi
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 27, 2010 01:18 |  #195

v_lestat wrote in post #9691846 (external link)

[me] yup, xxxxxxxx

[rep] 5-7 days

[me] ok

This is just how Canon is, it has nothing to do with the 7D, they will typically opt you to send in whatever and they will look at it.

Full Gear List

sponsored links

52,256 views & 0 likes for this thread
Who has returned their 7D ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.