Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 26 Feb 2010 (Friday) 10:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where to buy large photo paper

badams
699 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 26, 2010 10:28 |  #1

Once many years ago I had the chance to buy some 11x17 paper at Staples/Office Depot on clearance and I snatched it up at the time then cut it down to fit my 8.5x11 printer. Now I have a printer that can handle that size but am almost out of the large paper.

Staples has their brand of 11x17 photo paper but my past experiences with their paper leaves little to be desired and apparently they don't sell any other brands that big (or at least not in store).

So I did some looking online and came across roll paper. Could I cut this to fit whatever dimension I need then print on it since my printer can't do rolls?

If not, where is a good place to buy photo paper without shelling out too much money.

Note: For my 8x10 prints I use HP Advanced Photo Paper and I love it. Good and cheap.

Everyday use: 7D2, 1.4x v3 Canon TC (sometimes the 2x v2 Canon TC), Canon 500mm f4 L IS USM; 6D, 24-105L
http://www.southernokp​hotography.com (external link)

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 26, 2010 11:16 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

I buy paper from here
www.henrys.com (external link)

or for you americans
http://www.redriverpap​er.com/ (external link)

It's just so much easier to buy the paper your manufacturer recommends, I wouldn't try to cut down a roll - toooo much work.

I think the epson 4800 has an auto-cutter, though. The paper is what makes the print, and the ink, not the printer.
Satin is a great type of paper, and pretty cheap too.
Luster is another great type of paper I'm a big fan of..and also reasonably priced.
Canvas is another great option I use.

Try this company for a lot of fine art papers of various types and sizes and formats
http://www.hahnemuehle​.com/site/us/798/home.​html (external link)

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 26, 2010 11:20 |  #3

Is this for the Pro9000? If so, you probably want 13x19, not 11x17. The HP advanced comes in 13x19 if that has been working well for you. Get it at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com …ics&qid=1267204​752&sr=8-1 (external link)

Otherwise, Adorama, BHphoto and Red River have huge paper selections in nearly every size.

I use a Canon printer as well and HP advanced is my favorite glossy and Ilford Premium Pearl is my favorite "luster" or semi-gloss paper.

ilford Premium Pearl:

http://www.amazon.com …?ie=UTF8&showVi​ewpoints=1 (external link)

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

badams
THREAD ­ STARTER
699 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 26, 2010 20:42 as a reply to  @ tkbslc's post |  #4

tkbslc, Yes it is for the Pro9000. I'm only printing 11x14's so the 11x17 does the job. Why would I want 13x19?

Everyday use: 7D2, 1.4x v3 Canon TC (sometimes the 2x v2 Canon TC), Canon 500mm f4 L IS USM; 6D, 24-105L
http://www.southernokp​hotography.com (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 26, 2010 21:47 |  #5

badams wrote in post #9690982 (external link)
tkbslc, Yes it is for the Pro9000. I'm only printing 11x14's so the 11x17 does the job. Why would I want 13x19?

Because you CAN? :)

I just assumed you wanted to print as big as you can. 11x17 and 11x14 is a bit harder to find and 13x19 lets you print lots of different combinations and sizes.

RedRiver has 11x17 and 11x14 size papers, so that might be a good choice for you.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,466 views & 0 likes for this thread
Where to buy large photo paper
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.