Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 17 Feb 2010 (Wednesday) 11:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First Time Shooting Baseball (Little League)

TristateViP
195 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 19, 2010 10:17 |  #16

Nice series, can't wait for mine to start little league in a few years

Canon/60D/17-40L/Sigma 70-200 2.8/Tamron 28-75 2.8
A few green bees ;)

sponsored links
eigga
Goldmember
2,208 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 19, 2010 11:02 |  #17

You are getting a lot out of that equipment. Great Work. Selective coloring is crap IMO ... but I will do just about ANYHING to increase sales and selective coloring can do that from time to time.

Thanks for sharing!

-Matt
Website (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Instagram (external link)

ca7696
679 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 21, 2010 11:44 |  #18

Sledhed wrote in post #9633252 (external link)
Good to see the catcher with his hand behind his back, you see a lot of little ones that don't do it.

youre right Sledhed... but his hand should be in a fist..Ive seen a few broken fingers on foul tips or wild pitches with the "open " hand....

I love the pics... I coached Little league in Brick for 22 years and been to the north wall field in a few tournaments years ago..... Great pics keep snapping and have fun!!!

Scott ­ V
102 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 21, 2010 12:27 |  #19

Great pics for the lenses you have! One pointer though, when shooting through the fence, try to get as close as possible so it will focus more on the subject and less on the chainlink or netting...can't wait to shoot outdoors again!

Scott Vestal
SV Action Photography
"if it moves, we'll shoot it!"
www.svactionphotograph​y.com (external link)

Ferds
THREAD ­ STARTER
41 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 21, 2010 19:30 |  #20

Thanks, everyone!

Ca7696, I'll definitely remind him to keep his back hand in a fist this season.

Scott V, thanks for the tip. I was aiming to show the fence on a few of the shots here, but I do understand what you're saying. I need all the tips I can get. Only after a couple of months shooting these photos did I learn that the lens I'm using is one of the reasons for my photos being too soft - apart from lack of skill & knowledge.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i78.photobucket​.com …117/Anshwa/IMG_​5315_1.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i78.photobucket​.com …j117/Anshwa/IMG​_4445B.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Ferds

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 22, 2010 02:37 |  #21

Sledhed wrote in post #9633252 (external link)
Good to see the catcher with his hand behind his back, you see a lot of little ones that don't do it.

Bad Chris, bad! Proper position is not behind the back, come on now! First thing I do with my catchers is positioning of the arm because they all have it behind their back or on top of their knee or sometimes even across their chest, all wrong! It takes awhile to break the bad habits.

Ferds wrote in post #9654365 (external link)
Ca7696, I'll definitely remind him to keep his back hand in a fist this season.

You ever notice in a minor car accident involving a drunk driver the drunk is usually OK while the sober person is hurt? Well, it's simple, the drunk person has no clue what's happening and is "loose", the sober person sees it coming and tenses up. So the drunk goes with the flow and motions, the sober person is so tense they tear muscles, break bones, etc. A closed fist is tense, a ball to it will cause a lot more damage than a loose hand. Either way, how is a hand behind the back getting hit with a foul tip or wild pitch in the first place? If it is the catcher is facing backwards, so it's not necessary at all to make a fist behind the back and only counter productive.

You will never, EVER, see a catcher who knows what he's doing with A) his hand behind his back for several reasons, and B) it closed in a fist. This age is not all that important, they're not picking off runners, blocking, etc. As he gets older though, and can start now, good to make sure things are done properly (fundamentals). Honestly almost all the kids I get from youth leagues have to be "fixed". Nothing new, guys out of D1 major colleges come into pro ball needing adjustments, just how it is.

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

ca7696
679 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 25, 2010 07:26 as a reply to  @ MJPhotos24's post |  #22

not to get into a argument with you...but I have seen a few 10 year olds break their finger from a foul ball with a open hand behind their back! when a ball is fouled off it gooes in all weird directions especially once it hits the ground and bounces up...and no one expects a 10 year old to have perfect form, they are taufght to "get their hand out of harms way. Little league and minor league and especially T-ball is not major League baseball or college baseball. its played on a smaller field and most things done on a full size field are done differently on a LL field and as for kids having to be fixed... I agree most kids pick up bad habbits when playing but this is not Division 1 college its Little league... and if a kid is in Division 1 Baseball he should have the fundamentals down and not need to be adjusted.... Bottom line is its not the majors the main thing is to have fun teach them good sportsmanship and the fundamentals of baseball and NOT get hurt! THATS HOW IT IS IN LL baseball.... .... Just my opinion from someone who coached LL for over 20 years....thats all I gotta say on this .. this is a photo group not a baseball technique group.... and everyone has a right to their opinion... so its fine that we disagree,,,, . FERDS maybe I will see you around the fields come this summer...

primnumbers
155 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 25, 2010 20:19 |  #23

Maybe I missed it, what was SS and f-stop? Look at a shallow DOF like mentioned eariler and combine it with a tight zoom.

Eugene Nowaczyk
Canon 40D with grip
18-55mm, 28-135mm, 50mm f1.4, 85 f1.8, 70-200mm f2.8
Sigma 50-500
430EX , 540ez (x2) TwinLink wrieless triger

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 25, 2010 21:33 |  #24

ca7696 wrote in post #9679252 (external link)
not to get into a argument with you...but I have seen a few 10 year olds break their finger from a foul ball with a open hand behind their back! when a ball is fouled off it gooes in all weird directions especially once it hits the ground and bounces up...and no one expects a 10 year old to have perfect form, they are taufght to "get their hand out of harms way. Little league and minor league and especially T-ball is not major League baseball or college baseball. its played on a smaller field and most things done on a full size field are done differently on a LL field and as for kids having to be fixed... I agree most kids pick up bad habbits when playing but this is not Division 1 college its Little league... and if a kid is in Division 1 Baseball he should have the fundamentals down and not need to be adjusted.... Bottom line is its not the majors the main thing is to have fun teach them good sportsmanship and the fundamentals of baseball and NOT get hurt! THATS HOW IT IS IN LL baseball.... .... Just my opinion from someone who coached LL for over 20 years....thats all I gotta say on this .. this is a photo group not a baseball technique group.... and everyone has a right to their opinion... so its fine that we disagree,,,, . FERDS maybe I will see you around the fields come this summer...

You're right, you're trying to get them to get their hand out of harms way. Problem is behind the back puts them more at risk and is the reason why coaches no longer use that method because it's very outdated. Every kid was taught it growing up so now every coach teaches it, problem is nobody keeps updated on new mechanics and fundamentals and why they're done (kinesiology is a friend with this stuff - well unless the friendship is between Mike Marshall and MLB).

#1 - When you put your arm behind your back you're stretching the muscle, and as everyone knows when you stretch a muscle it is slightly tearing. A muscle that repeatedly stretches throughout a game is weaker and thus more prone to muscle injury/soreness.

#2 - Put your hand behind your back and see what's the natural way to do it. Is it by putting your elbow way out to the side and going in mid-back? Nope, the natural way is to put it down to your side and lift it behind your back. So the natural way back to front is also bringing it down and around. Ferds captured this PERFECTLY in a few images! So when the ball is in the dirt the kid is usually trying to stop it and his arm naturally falls between the legs under his butt and a foul tip or wild pitch would hit the ground and bounce right up into it.

#3 - Many kids, especially younger, do not have great balance in a crouched position so the arm never really stays "behind" the back, it falls and sometimes so do they (how many times you seen a LL catcher fall over? Seen plenty here!) Ferds again captured it perfectly in images 5/6 as you can see the arm low and wanting to go more natural, they're fighting it though and it just happens naturally because they're concentrating on the ball, not their off arm.

So, with that alone you're putting the hand in harms way, not taking it out. Rarely does a kid keep the arm on his back behind it all the way like in the last catching image to keep it out of harms way completely (this is what I meant about how could it hit his hand back there, which I worded poorly, if he had it up high and kept it there). However, even if he does it's still putting the wear and tear on his shoulder.

Most things are not done differently on a LL field compared to a higher level field, they're just done faster, more efficiently, and with some adjustments for the rule differences (stealing, getting an out instead of trying to turn two - though they should be taught how, etc.) Fundamentals are the same throughout but obviously the younger the player the more basic you're teaching to create the base to ad on. Nowhere did I say D1 and LL would have the same attributes, but they have the same basis. Believe it or not, and many coaches do not, you can have fun and teach fundamentals! Actually the younger the kid the easier it is to make even the most mundane drill seem fun.

primnumbers wrote in post #9683769 (external link)
Maybe I missed it, what was SS and f-stop? Look at a shallow DOF like mentioned eariler and combine it with a tight zoom.

Just looked and EXIF is embedded so can take a look at that.

Gary ­ W.
61 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 26, 2010 16:42 as a reply to  @ MJPhotos24's post |  #25

Hey all,

point for behind the back: Johnny Bench (One of the best catchers EVER) put his hand behind his back.

point for NOT behind the back: Pudge Rodriguez hand his hand low behind his back (butt, actually) when a foul ball went under him, bounced up and broke the thumb on his throwing hand.

YMMV.

Gary W.

Canon 7D gripped, Canon 70D, Canon 50 ƒ1.4, Canon 85 ƒ1.8, Canon 18-135mm IS STM, Canon 70-300 IS USM, Tamron 70-200 ƒ2.8 Di VC USD, Canon 430EX, Pixel Mago Speedlights, RPS Studio wireless triggers, Pixel King Pro transceivers and Pixel King X receivers.

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 26, 2010 22:49 |  #26

Gary W. wrote in post #9689546 (external link)
Hey all,

point for behind the back: Johnny Bench (One of the best catchers EVER) put his hand behind his back.

point for NOT behind the back: Pudge Rodriguez hand his hand low behind his back (butt, actually) when a foul ball went under him, bounced up and broke the thumb on his throwing hand.

YMMV.

Gary W.

Johnny, the story of him catching a pitch with his bare hand as a rookie is one of my favs. Again though, look at the years Johnny played, and he was an advocate for it at the time. Looking now you just don't see it. I covered 4 games (D1) today, 8 catchers, not one behind the back. 7/8 had it behind the leg (foot for a couple) and one guy did the Posada, which is holding it right out in the open unprotected.

sponsored links

3,756 views & 0 likes for this thread
First Time Shooting Baseball (Little League)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.