Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 06 Feb 2010 (Saturday) 19:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New D-lites?

Hermes
Goldmember
2,375 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 26, 2010 12:33 |  #151

TMR Design wrote in post #9687447 (external link)
I wonder if this means that there will be new RX's with built in Skyports.

My dealer has indicated there will be - 3Q 2010. On the plus side they'll be more responsive to use (like the BXRis), on the minus side it will probably mean no more mechanical switch to set the group - having to do it with multiple button presses whilst looking at the screen is a pain.

sponsored links
Mark ­ Booth
393 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Feb 26, 2010 18:45 |  #152

Well, I certainly hope Elinchrom releases new models of the RX series! That way, I can snag up a few used RXs as a bunch of you upgrade! :)

Mark

"If a day goes by without my doing something related to photography, it's as though I've neglected something essential to my existence, as though I had forgotten to wake up."
-- Richard Avedon

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 26, 2010 19:00 |  #153

Mark Booth wrote in post #9690256 (external link)
Well, I certainly hope Elinchrom releases new models of the RX series! That way, I can snag up a few used RXs as a bunch of you upgrade! :)

Mark

I won't be running out to upgrade. If I add RX's in the future they might be the newer ones but a built in Skyport isn't getting me excited.

I'll be looking for good prices on used or discontinued 600RX's and 300RX's.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

Rudi
Goldmember
3,751 posts
Joined Mar 2002

Feb 26, 2010 19:03 |  #154

TMR Design wrote in post #9690352 (external link)
I won't be running out to upgrade. If I add RX's in the future they might be the newer ones but a built in Skyport isn't getting me excited.

Same here. I'm happy with what I have. :)

• Wedding Photographer - Sydney and Wollongong (external link)
• Borrowed Moment (blog) (external link)

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.

jkokbaker
554 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 26, 2010 20:39 |  #155

Are these the new lights: http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …e4_Two_Monoligh​t_Kit.html (external link)

Or are they not out yet. I have an order for the Genesis 400 lights, would these be better? I would get them sooner.

5D IV, Rokinon 14mm, Zeiss 21mm, Rokinon 24mm 1.4, Canon 24-105L, Speedlight 430EX II

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 26, 2010 20:40 |  #156

jkokbaker wrote in post #9690955 (external link)
Are these the new lights: http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …e4_Two_Monoligh​t_Kit.html (external link)

Or are they not out yet. I have an order for the Genesis 400 lights, would these be better? I would get them sooner.

Those are the original D-Lite's, not the new ones.

Robert

jkokbaker
554 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 26, 2010 20:44 |  #157

that's what I thought, any idea when they will have the new ones? I ordered my genesis lights about 6 weeks ago and was just told another couple weeks. I was thinking I might cancel that order and order the new D-Lites, is there a big difference in the genesis and the new D-Lites?

5D IV, Rokinon 14mm, Zeiss 21mm, Rokinon 24mm 1.4, Canon 24-105L, Speedlight 430EX II

Derrick_SA
672 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 27, 2010 10:14 |  #158

Roxie2401 wrote in post #9682675 (external link)
Robert, do you have any experience with the Portalite Softboxes contained in these kits? Quality, build, effectiveness? I know they are small, but for a starter kit how do they perform?

Hi, not really to much, yes it's a nice function, but usually when you're lights are setup you don't change it often. So to walk to them no and then should be ok?

- Derrick

Canon 50D, 50mm f1.8, Canon 70-200 F4L IS, Canon 24-70 F2.8L, Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm F3.5, Canon 1.4x Extender, Canon 430EX Flash, 580EXII flash, Elinchrom BX500ri kit.

abdul10000
309 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 02, 2010 07:10 |  #159

Roxie2401 wrote in post #9682675 (external link)
Robert, do you have any experience with the Portalite Softboxes contained in these kits? Quality, build, effectiveness? I know they are small, but for a starter kit how do they perform?

just wanted to add that they are really easy to put together and are also very small when packed. For small softboxes and with no need for grids they are the way to go.

telles75
Goldmember
2,184 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 02, 2010 10:27 |  #160

abdul10000 wrote in post #9712486 (external link)
just wanted to add that they are really easy to put together and are also very small when packed. For small softboxes and with no need for grids they are the way to go.

I kind of disagree with this statement. As I mentioned in my previous post the Portalites are a pain in the b*** to assemble compared to the Rotaluxes, the reason being that the crappy speedring included with the Portalites is just so cheap and harder to put the together than the high quality one included in the Rotaluxes.

Rafael T.
Nowadays I shoot Nikon, but deep inside I am still a Canon lover... plus Nikonians don't have a cool place to hang like POTN :)
Gear -Model Mayhem -external linkFlickr -external linkWebsiteexternal link

m3rdpwr
Goldmember
1,332 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 02, 2010 11:10 |  #161

telles75 wrote in post #9713432 (external link)
I kind of disagree with this statement. As I mentioned in my previous post the Portalites are a pain in the b*** to assemble compared to the Rotaluxes, the reason being that the crappy speedring included with the Portalites is just so cheap and harder to put the together than the high quality one included in the Rotaluxes.

And the price reflects that... :)

I had the DL kit originally and I thought it was tough to put it together.

I have a 39" DT, and I still fight with it, although not as bad...

-Mario

Gear List

telles75
Goldmember
2,184 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 02, 2010 11:35 |  #162

m3rdpwr wrote in post #9713746 (external link)
And the price reflects that... :)

I had the DL kit originally and I thought it was tough to put it together.

I have a 39" DT, and I still fight with it, although not as bad...

-Mario

Mario how do you store your DT?? Do you disassemble every time you use it or you just fold it and store it in its bag?

Rafael T.
Nowadays I shoot Nikon, but deep inside I am still a Canon lover... plus Nikonians don't have a cool place to hang like POTN :)

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 02, 2010 11:54 |  #163

telles75 wrote in post #9713937 (external link)
Mario how do you store your DT?? Do you disassemble every time you use it or you just fold it and store it in its bag?

Most users of Elinchrom modifiers assemble them from scratch the first time and then just fold it up and store it in the bag. No reason to completely disassemble it.

Robert

abdul10000
309 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 02, 2010 12:42 |  #164

telles75 wrote in post #9713432 (external link)

Sounds like you are putting them together the hard way. There is an easy way to put them together. Insert the rod in the box first and then into the ring one at a time. It's that easy, it just takes getting used to.

Compared to other boxes such as photoflex and creative light the Portalites are very easy, and that is coming from a person who is not a fan of Elinchrom. That being said they are small boxes which makes them by nature easy to assemble.

telles75
Goldmember
2,184 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 02, 2010 13:02 |  #165

TMR Design wrote in post #9714071 (external link)
Most users of Elinchrom modifiers assemble them from scratch the first time and then just fold it up and store it in the bag. No reason to completely disassemble it.

Yup... I used to disassemble them completely so I could fold the softboxes and put them inside my light bag. Now I just keep them in their own Elinchrom bag fold up, and I can get them up and running in less than 1 minute.

abdul10000 wrote in post #9714345 (external link)
Sounds like you are putting them together the hard way. There is an easy way to put them together. Insert the rod in the box first and then into the ring one at a time. It's that easy, it just takes getting used to.

Compared to other boxes such as photoflex and creative light the Portalites are very easy, and that is coming from a person who is not a fan of Elinchrom. That being said they are small boxes which makes them by nature easy to assemble.

I used to do it that way... now the only times I will miss the Portalites is in tight spaces... They worked like a charm for that (where the Rotaluxes are too big). I sold them Portalites when I got rid of my DLites..

Rafael T.

sponsored links

30,055 views & 0 likes for this thread
New D-lites?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.