Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 26 Feb 2010 (Friday) 11:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Studio Projector? Wireless?

taygull
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 26, 2010 11:34 |  #1

Curious as I'm about to add a projector to my client viewing process in the studio. I'd prefer to be able to project from either of my macs via wireless. Any thoughts?

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

sponsored links
RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,290 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Feb 26, 2010 12:00 |  #2

Wireless is only 5% to 50% of the speed of ethernet.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

pauld1946
179 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 26, 2010 16:22 as a reply to  @ RDKirk's post |  #3

Great idea. I saw this recently in a photog blog and the guy was able to show all of his photos at whatever size he wanted. Since he wanted to sell mostly large wall hangings, he was able to project the image in exact size that they would want. Great idea. PM me if you want the url to his blog.

Paul Donihue,
www.PhotoExpressionsPl​ace.com (external link)
To Get What You Have Never Had, You Must Do What You Have Never Done!

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,290 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Feb 26, 2010 17:40 as a reply to  @ pauld1946's post |  #4

I didn't respond to the projector issue.

I project my previews myself. Projection is an immensely effective way to increase the number of large print sales you make. There is nothing better than being able to present the image as large as 30x40 (or larger) right up front in a sales session. Because the size is nearly unlimited either vertically or horizontally, it's even better than a big LCD.

You also don't need to stress too much about projector image quality. Nearly any modern 2000-lumen projector will do. The impact of the large image itself is sufficient--photographers stress over the details much, much more than clients do at that point.

I actually project in the clients' homes--in the very areas that the portraits will be held, when possible. I use ProSelect as the application, which does allow me to project at the actual finished size, as well as instantly change from size to size (always start with the largest you want to sell). In addition, with ProSelect you can take a picture of the area the finished portrait will occupy, load that picture into ProSelect, and display the finished portrait on the screen in that picture (for the times you can't project). Again, you can instantly vary the size of the portrait against the image of the room. You can also display it within different kinds of frames.

ProSelect also creates a snap slideshow that you can show at the start of the preview session, and as you do your initial review, you can vote for images and ProSelect will sequester them for further selection rounds.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

pauld1946
179 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 26, 2010 20:03 as a reply to  @ RDKirk's post |  #5

The blog i was reading had the guy offering the following. I am sure many of you have heard of him. I had not until recently. http://http …sales-projection-presets/ (external link)

It is neat to hear RDKirk share. I bet you sell a lot of large canvases.

Paul Donihue,

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 27, 2010 11:03 |  #6

Thanks for the info, is anyone actually using wireless to project? I'm very familiar with the sales benefits of projecting, I'm most curious about the technical aspect of it.

McKinney, TX

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 27, 2010 11:03 |  #7

pauld1946 wrote in post #9690704 (external link)
The blog i was reading had the guy offering the following. I am sure many of you have heard of him. I had not until recently. http://http …sales-projection-presets/ (external link)

It is neat to hear RDKirk share. I bet you sell a lot of large canvases.

Link didn't work for me?

McKinney, TX

pauld1946
179 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 27, 2010 13:22 as a reply to  @ taygull's post |  #8

http://prophotoshow.ne​t …sales-projection-presets/ (external link) Should work now! Sorry about that!

Paul Donihue,

sponsored links

1,431 views & 0 likes for this thread
Studio Projector? Wireless?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.