Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 27 Feb 2010 (Saturday) 22:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How in The Heck Is This Done?

taknbyd
192 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 27, 2010 22:11 |  #1

Found this online and would love to try to recreate this type of work. Anybody have any ideas how this could be done?

http://i43.photobucket​.com …tzieg13/4a246a2​784266.jpg (external link)

Canon 40D/ EF 70-200mm IS 2.8L/ EF 50mm 1.4/ EF 28-135mm/ 430ex II x2/ 580 exII and Light Modifiers
DTBPhotography.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Livinthalife
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 27, 2010 22:16 |  #2

Looks like a mix of HDR and super skin smoothing...Surely someone will give better advice than myself.

-Andy-

abjam77
129 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 27, 2010 22:19 |  #3

Silicon I believe....

:P

Looks like a lot of photoshop post work to me (HDR maybe?)

Portfolio (external link) : Blog (external link)
Canon 5D | Tamon 17-35 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | Tamron 70-300 VC | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 85mm 1.8 | Canon 430EXII

Rob ­ Wilkinson
122 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 27, 2010 22:22 as a reply to  @ abjam77's post |  #4

I'm seeing a lot of brush work and a lot of clarity slider, not really HDR. Basically it just looks like they used the model as a guide to paint in their subject. I kind of like the cartoon feel, then again it's hard not to like something like this. A bit overdone if anything.

Come have a look: http://www.resolutionp​hoto.net (external link)

FatCat0
519 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 27, 2010 22:23 |  #5

Looks kinda scary to me...the most realistic thing I can see there is the bikini.

Livinthalife
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 27, 2010 22:24 |  #6

FatCat0 wrote in post #9697614 (external link)
Looks kinda scary to me...the most realistic thing I can see there is the bikini.

I think the OP was asking "How it's done"

-Andy-

taknbyd
THREAD ­ STARTER
192 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 27, 2010 22:39 |  #7

Yes, I would love to know how this was done... At first glance I was thinking more of the HDR side of things. But it seems that there is a company on model mayhem who are doing these types of retouches. Seems like it would be an AWESOME action.

Canon 40D/ EF 70-200mm IS 2.8L/ EF 50mm 1.4/ EF 28-135mm/ 430ex II x2/ 580 exII and Light Modifiers
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Livinthalife
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 27, 2010 22:40 |  #8

Im sure it cost money, BUT I would pay for it.

-Andy-

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 28, 2010 00:38 |  #9

A friendly reminder of POTN rules -- if you don't own the image, you are not supposed to post it. You can post a link to it, though. A moderator will step in and rattle swords if you don't correct this:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

T.D.
33,647 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 28, 2010 00:39 |  #10

tonylong wrote in post #9698185 (external link)
A friendly reminder of POTN rules -- if you don't own the image, you are not supposed to post it. You can post a link to it, though. A moderator will step in and rattle swords if you don't correct this:)!

What makes you say that? ;) :twisted:

Consider them rattled. :D

Take a picture, it lasts longer (external link)
(My Gallery) (external link)

taknbyd
THREAD ­ STARTER
192 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 28, 2010 00:45 |  #11

I am so sorry... I didn't realize.. I mean, I read the rules... I just forgot. ;)

Thanks for being cool, T.D.

Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 28, 2010 01:58 |  #12

Heh! I'm glad when we can all just get along...

I could have been more verbosely accurate -- I could have said "a moderator will be along shortly, rattling swords and then will proceed to slice your post to a mere shadow of what it was", but sometimes less is better...:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,483 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 28, 2010 04:35 |  #13

There is nothing "HDR" about the rendering of the model. HDR means capturing an extended Dynamic Range, beyond the normal ability of the camera, and there just is not that range of tones anywhere in the shot except for the window behind her - which is a distraction and tries to pull the eye from the serious stuff (doesn't quite succeed, 'tho). HDR is done by blending two images, but what most people mistakenly call HDR is the extreme remapping that follows the blending and that can be done on any image.

It is true however, that the easiest way to get that remapping is to use one of the HDR applications, like Photomatix or Dynamic HDR, which are built for it.

Elie / אלי

Keith ­ R
Goldmember
2,856 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 28, 2010 07:24 |  #14

Yuk! That's hideous!

I was just sick in my mouth a bit.

Livinthalife
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 28, 2010 07:53 |  #15

tzalman wrote in post #9698798 (external link)
There is nothing "HDR" about the rendering of the model. HDR means capturing an extended Dynamic Range, beyond the normal ability of the camera, and there just is not that range of tones anywhere in the shot except for the window behind her - which is a distraction and tries to pull the eye from the serious stuff (doesn't quite succeed, 'tho). HDR is done by blending two images, but what most people mistakenly call HDR is the extreme remapping that follows the blending and that can be done on any image.

It is true however, that the easiest way to get that remapping is to use one of the HDR applications, like Photomatix or Dynamic HDR, which are built for it.

No one has said it IS HDR. It just resembles it. That could be from remapping IF it were done in the first place as you mentioned. The OP is asking HOW the shot was done. Do you have any idea?

Looks like everyone is going off track with "it's ugly" or something else.

Let's try to stay on track fellas.

-Andy-

sponsored links

5,023 views & 0 likes for this thread
How in The Heck Is This Done?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.