Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 28 Feb 2010 (Sunday) 00:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 85 f/1.8 Samples

canon_shots
149 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 01, 2010 04:14 as a reply to  @ post 9699946 |  #16

My 85 1.8 is my go-to lens when I want a nicely isolated portrait shot:
http://www.flickr.com …in/set-72157622989116172/ (external link)

EOS 7D, 50D
Sigma 30 1.4, Tamron 17-50 2.8, 85 1.8, 70-200 f4L, 2 550EX, 580EXII.
My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
wmcy
THREAD ­ STARTER
677 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 01, 2010 06:24 |  #17

Excellent shot, canon_shots. Your example is what causes me concern. I will need to take head and shoulder portraits with no more than 12 feet or so working room. Will the 85 be long enough or should I go with a 100. I really like the size, quality and price of the 85, I just wonder if it's long enough.

Thanks to all for the great insight.

Wm.

Canon EOS R, Canon RF 24-105 f/4L IS USM, Canon EF 85 f/1.8, Canon Converter, Godox 860 Speedlite Kit, Godox Min Speedlite

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 01, 2010 06:29 |  #18

That's a strange way of posing a question on whether you need a longer lens. I would understand if you said I cannot get closer than 12 feet.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

wmcy
THREAD ­ STARTER
677 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 01, 2010 06:55 |  #19

Bohdank, let me clarify: I have about 12 feet (from the subject) to work with. Obviously, I can get closer. So my question is which lens would you recommend for optimal head and shoulder shots without distortion? OR is that a concern when considering these 2 lens?

Thanks.

Canon EOS R, Canon RF 24-105 f/4L IS USM, Canon EF 85 f/1.8, Canon Converter, Godox 860 Speedlite Kit, Godox Min Speedlite

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 01, 2010 07:00 |  #20

The focal range is so close.You shouldn't over analize this. ..... I'm happy with the 85's focal length...no temptation to replace it with a 100mm.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

wmcy
THREAD ­ STARTER
677 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 01, 2010 09:09 |  #21

Great! I am strongly leaning towards the 85 f1.8. '

This forum is very helpful. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

power_play21
202 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 01, 2010 10:30 |  #22

I have the 85 and use the 100 macro as well, on teh 5D, and i find that for "close range" portraits i tend to use the 85 more then the 100. The 1.8 aperture is nice, but beware of the purple!

Gear and Feedback
www.oliviasphotostudio​.com (external link)
Model Mayhem (external link)

Dorsey
108 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 01, 2010 11:33 |  #23

I currently have the 85 f1.8 and the 100 f2. I'm still testing them to see which one I'll keep, but I will say that the focal lengths are obviously very similar. You can match them up just by taking one step forward or back. And not even a big step. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Syracuse NY Wedding Photographer (external link)

jdang307
780 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 01, 2010 13:52 |  #24

wmcy wrote in post #9705994 (external link)
Great! I am strongly leaning towards the 85 f1.8. '

This forum is very helpful. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

I had the same questions. I had the 85mm 1.8 with a T1i. When I got it, I popped it on, indoors (it was at night of course) and looked through the viewfinder. My god, what did I buy, this thing was so long I don't think I'd ever use it.

Then I took it outside to the beach and fell in love. Sharp, colors and contrast, bokeh, everything. Then my girlfriend goes out and gets me a 5dmii and now my 85mm is all of a sudden too short. I did not like 50mm on my crop and now that's what I've got essentially (funny how people who start off with crops, use a FF-factor :D).

In any event, I was thinking, maybe I should get a 100mm/f2 instead. 135mm/f2l would be ideal, but I don't like the size and weight. This is still a hobby for me. It would cost me about $100 to replace, and I hear the 85mm is ever so slightly better.

So what do I do? I pop on my 24-105mm. I put it at 85mm. Then I put it at 100mm. I'm no expert, so perhaps someone with better focal length math skills can help, but I had to go back and forth because man, the difference was tiny. I took a shot of an LCD monitor from a few feet away, and the framing hardly changed. It literally was a couple steps if not one like Dorsey says. So I've kept the 85mm, and have gotten used to it. Funny how full frame makes things better even when they're the same.

You can always crop in a bit to 100mm if you need to. You can't expand to 85mm though if you've got a higher FL.:lol:

wmcy
THREAD ­ STARTER
677 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 01, 2010 14:48 |  #25

Thanks jdang. Makes sense to me!

sponsored links

6,658 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 85 f/1.8 Samples
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.