Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 27 Feb 2010 (Saturday) 17:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Am I screwed?

this thread is locked
Skip ­ Souza
Cream of the Crop
26,204 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 28, 2010 20:52 |  #61

lonelyjew wrote in post #9702541 (external link)
Ahh, gotta love the guy who kicks a man when he's down, then pours salt in his eyes. I'm sure the OP learned a lesson without your unnecessary remark.

To the OP

I really hope things work out for you or, in the very least, the scammer(if he is that) is struck by lightning.

It was not my intent to kick JoePhotoOnline while he was down. I was taking advantage of the opportunity to use a 'teachable moment" by illustrating how a persons judgment can be clouded by a chance at a phenomenal deal. I understand how attractive these deals can be when money is tight but half of nothing is still nothing.

In order for a scam (if that is what it was) to work it requires the active participation of the victim. I am sorry for JoePhotoOnline and hope that his lapse in judgment does not result in what I also consider a significant loss.

Bless the recently fallen and their family and friends.
I have a Cannon with me at all times. You can't take the shot if you don't have something with which to shoot. :rolleyes:
That which does not kill me ~~ Should Run.
5DMkII, 7D, 70-300L IS, 24-105L,
No more PayPal gift payment requests.
"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."

sponsored links
nprdavid
977 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 28, 2010 20:54 |  #62

As a side note, I bought a lense from adorama last week and they sent me a ups tracking number. Ups tracking number is not showing any info as of yet. I have not had problems with adorama so I believe the issue is with ups hopefully for you.

Think positive.

Hoosier Daddy
Flickr (external link)

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 28, 2010 21:06 |  #63

You have 4 packs abs....keep working hard!!! :)

MDJAK wrote in post #9702864 (external link)
I'll let you be the judge. Self portrait:

QUOTED IMAGE

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

Heath
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 28, 2010 21:46 |  #64

K6AZ wrote in post #9702312 (external link)
$1400 isn't chump change for a lot of us.

It's only $1,400 as in, he still has his health. He did not lose any limbs, or go blind, or lose a family member. Life will not end because of this. Might get more difficult, but it will not end.

Heath
"Some photographers push the envelope. Some sit behind a keyboard and criticize their accomplishments." (seen in the comments of a photo article)
Blog (external link)-Twitter (external link)-Zenfolio (external link)-500px (external link)-Pinterest (external link)-Gear List

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 28, 2010 22:50 |  #65

diputs wrote in post #9703522 (external link)
It's only $1,400 as in, he still has his health. He did not lose any limbs, or go blind, or lose a family member. Life will not end because of this. Might get more difficult, but it will not end.

So he should just shut up and not complain? Would you be saying the same thing if you had just been ripped off for $1400? I don't understand your point here, you certainly haven't posted anything that might help the OP in this situation.

Flickr (external link)

Skip ­ Souza
Cream of the Crop
26,204 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 01, 2010 00:49 |  #66

Enough of this!
diputs was not belittling JoePhotoOnline, he was just offering the perspective that this is not a life ending catastrophe. He also did not suggest that pursue effective remedies.

If you do not have useful suggestions for Joe then perhaps you should not post. Respond to JoePhotoOnline, don't argue with other posters. If this keeps up then this thread will be closed.

Bless the recently fallen and their family and friends.
I have a Cannon with me at all times. You can't take the shot if you don't have something with which to shoot. :rolleyes:
That which does not kill me ~~ Should Run.
5DMkII, 7D, 70-300L IS, 24-105L,
No more PayPal gift payment requests.
"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."

10megapixel
"I'm a little slow"
3,872 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 01, 2010 02:01 |  #67

Skip Souza wrote in post #9696934 (external link)
Whatever prompted you to buy from someone with virtually NO posting history and NO membership history?

This is a valid question. I have been scammed here so I know what the OP is going through...it sucks :mad:

This happened to me once on POTN, except I answered a sale ad placed here, and after a few friendly PM conversations with the seller, I sent $1000 bucks via Paypal for a lens. They had about 40 posts or so, but he/she still had no feedback here. As soon as they got the money I never heard from them again. Luckily, Paypal did come through for me and I eventually got my money back, but I am much more cautious before I buy now because of this.

Like Skip mentioned, make sure the person has membership history as a seller here, and be cautios of new members who PM you with "Deals". Here are some things that I now do before I send large amounts of money for an item I buy from a selller here on POTN...

1. Get thier E-mail address right off the bat and communicate with them about a possible transaction that way, not through PM's here on POTN. Save the e-mail conversations...you may need them later along with thier e-mail address.

2. Get a phone number from them and give them a call before you buy. Talk to them about the item and ask them some questions about it. If the seller is not willing to give you a number to talk then I would be very suspicious. If you do talk with them and they don't seem to have a clue about what thier selling...walk away.

3. Have them send you a Paypal money request for the item with a full description of what they are selling and when/how they are shipping.

4. Ask for notification when they ship to you along
with a tracking number.

It may sound like a little bit of work, but I have never had one problem since I started this routine as a buyer here, and any seller who was legit, had nothing to hide, and was wanting to move his/her gear happily carried through with all my requests.

Good luck to the OP, I hope Paypal comes through for you!

Gear List & Feedback

JoePhotoOnline
THREAD ­ STARTER
915 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 01, 2010 02:11 |  #68

Thanks 10MP, I hope they come through too. I will definitely employ those methods from now on.

Beginners talk about cameras, Pros talk about lenses, and Masters talk about light.

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 01, 2010 07:10 |  #69

I think Joe what you should do is give Paypal a call everyday and find out what is happening. This is the best way to get your money back. And when I said everyday I mean everyday.

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

JoePhotoOnline
THREAD ­ STARTER
915 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 01, 2010 11:45 |  #70

alpha_1976 wrote in post #9705514 (external link)
I think Joe what you should do is give Paypal a call everyday and find out what is happening. This is the best way to get your money back. And when I said everyday I mean everyday.

Good news!

I just called PayPal, and they told me that based on the info I have provided them, that my money is safe and I will receive a resolution in a few days. The seller has made no contact with them, and because the only thing that matters right now is the tracking number, I'm in the clear!

So, I'll either have a mysterious package end up on my door that some how missed all the tracking points (not likely, lol) or I'll get my money back.

Big sigh of relief, especially after hearing some of the horror stories here.

And FYI, the customer service rep told me that because I made a standard payment, I am 100% covered, but if it were a gift payment, I'd be 'screwed' (of course, he didn't use that term). So, for those of you that have people asking for gift payments, be very, very sure of who your dealing with.

Beginners talk about cameras, Pros talk about lenses, and Masters talk about light.

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 01, 2010 11:57 |  #71

JoePhotoOnline wrote in post #9706879 (external link)
Good news!
And FYI, the customer service rep told me that because I made a standard payment, I am 100% covered, but if it were a gift payment, I'd be 'screwed' (of course, he didn't use that term). So, for those of you that have people asking for gift payments, be very, very sure of who your dealing with.

You're covered because this guy wasn't very bright and provided a bogus tracking number.

You need to be absolutely sure of who you're buying from and that means looking into their history here. Buying such an expensive item from someone who just joined was not a good idea.

PayPal will only get involved in private transactions when non-delivery is the issue. If he had packed some old 35mm film camera and shipped it to you with tracking you would not be covered by PayPal and that scam happens all the time.

Flickr (external link)

juanpafer
Goldmember
1,834 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined May 2009

Mar 01, 2010 11:57 |  #72

Glad to know that!
So I guess the bottom line of this is that you can use cc or PP funds to pay and you will be covered but don't use gift payments unless dealing with a very, very reliable seller.

Juan

JoePhotoOnline
THREAD ­ STARTER
915 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 01, 2010 12:21 |  #73

You're absolutley right. Next time, I won't interact with newbies like this. Especially with this amount of money involved.

bruceq
108 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 01, 2010 12:54 as a reply to  @ JoePhotoOnline's post |  #74

jmho...

While I think you need to be cautious dealing with "newbies"... to say someone shouldn't deal with them seems a little harsh. I myself am new to the forum but have bought several items without issue.

I think a better mantra would be to use more caution when transacting on a forum. Things like talking to them on the phone, getting their address & checking references (Ebay, other forums) would go allot further than just excluding a part of the market.

I'm just saying... you can't necessarily judge a book by its cover, be it a newbie or a veteran. A little due-diligence on the part of sellers and buyers goes along way to providing a smooth transaction.

Btw... I'm still hoping things work out for you JoePhotoOnline.

Cameras - 5D MkII/Grip, 7D/Grip, T1i/Grip
Lens - EF-S 10-22, EF-S 18-55, EF 35-70, EF-S 55-250, EF 17-40L, EF 24-105L IS, EF 70-200 2.8L IS, EF 70-210, EF 100-400L, Sigma 150-500 OS, EF 100L IS, EF 180L, EF 85 1.8, EF 50 1.8

JoePhotoOnline
THREAD ­ STARTER
915 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 01, 2010 13:20 |  #75

bruceq wrote in post #9707325 (external link)
jmho...

While I think you need to be cautious dealing with "newbies"... to say someone shouldn't deal with them seems a little harsh. I myself am new to the forum but have bought several items without issue.

I think a better mantra would be to use more caution when transacting on a forum. Things like talking to them on the phone, getting their address & checking references (Ebay, other forums) would go allot further than just excluding a part of the market.

I'm just saying... you can't necessarily judge a book by its cover, be it a newbie or a veteran. A little due-diligence on the part of sellers and buyers goes along way to providing a smooth transaction.

Btw... I'm still hoping things work out for you JoePhotoOnline.

Excuse me, you are correct, and well said sir.

I also hope everything works out for me (of course), but I also hope that my experience here will help prevent this happening to others.

sponsored links

7,898 views & 0 likes for this thread
Am I screwed?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.