Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 01 Mar 2010 (Monday) 12:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Beep when recyled on 580 II?

Nick ­ Pro
Goldmember
1,084 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 01, 2010 12:26 |  #1

I can hear when my 550 has recycled, but my 580 is silent. I know nikon offers a option on they're flashes for them to beep when recycled, does canon offer the same thing?

sponsored links
Cpt.Vanquisher
575 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 01, 2010 13:04 |  #2

I just check the green/red light on the back. And I know that my flash centainly is recycled after 5 seconds. Keep that in mind and you rarely have a missfire

Bert
gear - modelmayhem (external link) - facebook (external link) - blog (external link)

tfd888
Goldmember
1,816 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 01, 2010 13:21 |  #3

Nick Pro wrote in post #9707156 (external link)
I can hear when my 550 has recycled, but my 580 is silent. I know nikon offers a option on they're flashes for them to beep when recycled, does canon offer the same thing?

I don't think any of the Canon speedlites have a beep option to alert you when they have recycled. It would be a nice thing to have.

You are able to see if your flash is recycled and ready to fire though with the flash indicator in the viewfinder and the red pilot light on the back of the flash.

Alexander R.O.
1D-Mark III ~1D-Mark II ~ 60D ~ 20D (Gripped)
(70-200mm L 2.8 IS) ~ (17-40mm L 4.0) (Sigma 24-70mm 2.8 EX DG Macro RIP) ~ (50mm 1.8 MKII) ~ (Alpex 35mm f/2.8 M42 mount) ~ (430EX II) ~ (Yongnuo YN-560 III)
My Website (external link) - My Blog (external link)
- My Flickr (external link)

Nick ­ Pro
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,084 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 01, 2010 13:49 as a reply to  @ tfd888's post |  #4

I rarely use the flash on camera though, so I can't normally see the light.

Green ­ Li
753 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 01, 2010 14:17 as a reply to  @ Nick Pro's post |  #5

Nope. Canon does not have the beep function, but Metz 58 AF-1 does (if you're ever to buy another flashgun :)):

IMAGE: http://photo-tips-online.com/review/metz-mecablitz-58-af-1-flash/images/small/metz-mecablitz-58-af-1-flash-menu-select.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://photo-tips-online.com …allery.php?id=m​enu-select  (external link)

PHOTO-TIPS-ONLINE.com – photo tips, photography reviews (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Google (external link)+

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 02, 2010 01:05 |  #6

the reason why people pay for the 580ex ii was to get rid of that audible recharging sound. (it uses a higher frequency so that we don't hear it)

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

puzzle
347 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 16, 2010 15:19 as a reply to  @ c2thew's post |  #7

I think its a shame that canon speedlights don't offer the recycle beep function and see it as a real disadvantage over the Nikon system. Perhaps they will offer this in the future, I guess only time will tell.

Canon5D mkII | 50D | Canon 24-70 f2.8L | Canon EF 85 f1.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex ii *2 | Elinchrom Skyports | Macbook Pro
http://www.paulwills.c​om (external link)

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 16, 2010 15:28 |  #8

nikon's speedlight system is much more useful than canon's. However, in terms of ease of adjusting flash output, the speed goes to canon thanks to the wheel

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

Sikor7
417 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 16, 2010 17:27 |  #9

c2thew wrote in post #10191338 (external link)
nikon's speedlight system is much more useful than canon's.

Care to elaborate? Just curious.

I helped a friend shoot a wedding last year and he uses Nikon. While using two off camera flashes with umbrellas I thought that the recycle beep was pretty useful, but not essential. Other than that...

40D w grip
28-300 IS L - 24-105 IS [COLOR=red]L - 100-400 IS L
580 EX - 580 EX II - ST-E2
Nice Canon Back-Pack and some other stuff...
"I think I just stimulated the economy!!!"

tim
Light Bringer
50,981 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 16, 2010 19:08 |  #10

puzzle wrote in post #10191289 (external link)
I think its a shame that canon speedlights don't offer the recycle beep function and see it as a real disadvantage over the Nikon system. Perhaps they will offer this in the future, I guess only time will tell.

Maybe 5% of people would use this feature, perhaps 5% of the time. Products are generally built for the most common uses.

Solution1: get a battery pack, the flash is pretty much always ready.
Solution2: hire a student to say "beep" when the light changes from green to red ;)

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Sikor7
417 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 16, 2010 21:41 |  #11

tim wrote in post #10192253 (external link)
Maybe 5% of people would use this feature, perhaps 5% of the time. Products are generally built for the most common uses.

Solution1: get a battery pack, the flash is pretty much always ready.
Solution2: hire a student to say "beep" when the light changes from green to red ;)

Use a good Li-Io battery in your flash and it will take less than half a second if it has not fired a 100% bang.

EDIT: Oops! Getting too late for me to post. I meant NiMh batteries.

40D w grip
28-300 IS L - 24-105 IS [COLOR=red]L - 100-400 IS L
580 EX - 580 EX II - ST-E2
Nice Canon Back-Pack and some other stuff...
"I think I just stimulated the economy!!!"

tim
Light Bringer
50,981 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 16, 2010 22:10 |  #12

Sikor7 wrote in post #10193000 (external link)
Use a good Li-Io battery in your flash and it will take less than half a second if it has not fired a 100% bang.

I'm not aware of an Lithium Ion battery pack for a speedlite. I use a CP-E3 battery pack with NiMH AA cells, I have one for each flash.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 16, 2010 22:15 |  #13

You do get a little ready light in the viewfinder, don't you?

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

CliveyBoy
R.I.P.      He will be missed
3,272 posts
Joined Nov 2005

May 16, 2010 22:59 |  #14

tkbslc wrote in post #10193145 (external link)
You do get a little ready light in the viewfinder, don't you?

No, not with 50D and 580EXII. Do you?

Clive, and Great G/D Abbie
50D; 580EXII, 430EXII, 550EX, YN685EX; YN-622C II, YN622C-TX and YN560-TX controllers TOYUG II v5.10 YN622 System Guide (external link)
I tried retiring, but gave it up - it's a dead end

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 16, 2010 23:38 |  #15

You should get a little lighting bolt when the flash is ready if the flash is on the hotshoe or connected via ettl cable.

You can see it here:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E50​D/E50DVIEWFINDER.HTM (external link)

It's the little lighting bolt second from the left

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

sponsored links

7,689 views & 0 likes for this thread
Beep when recyled on 580 II?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.