Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Feb 2010 (Saturday) 02:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Am I wrong for wanting to make this switch?

reng2009
218 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 27, 2010 11:14 |  #31

BucketMan wrote in post #9693374 (external link)
I have no interest in the 7D as I think the video is a complete waste for me, I have a dedicated camcorder for that.

That's a curious remark. Even if you don't care for the video, the 7D has so many other fabulous benefits such as 100% viewfinder, 8 fps, dual DIGIC 4 processors, weathersealing, new metering system, better AF, and 18 mp. This is a whole other level of camera!

Now mind you, I'm happy with my 40D, but if it should ever die, the 7D is a natural and obvious replacement.

sponsored links
AutumnJazz
137 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 27, 2010 11:38 |  #32

Seriously...the 7D is an amazing crop body. The finder is almost as big and bright as the one on my EOS 3.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/autumnjazz/ (external link)

BucketMan
936 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 27, 2010 14:34 |  #33

reng2009 wrote in post #9694319 (external link)
That's a curious remark. Even if you don't care for the video, the 7D has so many other fabulous benefits such as 100% viewfinder, 8 fps, dual DIGIC 4 processors, weathersealing, new metering system, better AF, and 18 mp. This is a whole other level of camera!

Now mind you, I'm happy with my 40D, but if it should ever die, the 7D is a natural and obvious replacement.

I certainly agree the 7D is a great body. However I feel the price tag is outrageous, due to it having video. If I could get that body, minus the video and a smaller price tag you would find my 40D in the classifieds immediately.

I am just not a Swiss Army knife kinda guy. I like a specific tool for a specific job. I understand and have seen absolutely stunning video shot on DSLR's, however that is just not for me, I like having a dedicated video camera for video and another for stills, but thats just me.

| 70D | 70-200LII | 580EXIIhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/%3Ca%20h​ref=
flickr (external link)

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Feb 27, 2010 15:07 |  #34

BucketMan wrote in post #9695171 (external link)
I certainly agree the 7D is a great body. However I feel the price tag is outrageous, due to it having video.

:rolleyes:

The 7D MSRP at inital release was $300 more than the 50D when it was inititally released. So do you honestly believe that it cost Canon $300 per unit to add video but that it cost nothing to add a new sensor, dual processors, larger viewfinder with new electronic focus screen, new and significantly improved 19pt AF system, better weather sealing and overall construction, wireless flash commander, electronic level, and a whole slew of user customization features? Keeping in mind that any DSLR that has LiveView can capture video by simply recording what is shown on the rear LCD and these cameras already have LiveView. And the Digic processors used in these cameras are also used in P&S cameras with video so the software for recording the video was already written and the cost of that was spread across all those throusands of consumers.

You may think the price tag is outrageous, but I think blaming that price tag on the video feature is absurd.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

reng2009
218 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 27, 2010 15:15 |  #35

BucketMan wrote in post #9695171 (external link)
I certainly agree the 7D is a great body. However I feel the price tag is outrageous, due to it having video. If I could get that body, minus the video and a smaller price tag you would find my 40D in the classifieds immediately.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no. The 7D's video feature is not responsible for its high price tag. To add video to a DSLR is not a particularly difficult engineering task, nor does it make manufacturing much more expensive. The 7D has to be looked at in totality in order to understand its pricing.

The 7D is essentially a pro body with its better build and weathersealing, its 100% viewfinder, its extraordinarily high continuous shooting speed, and its sophisticated AF. The engineering effort is much higher calibre, giving you dual processors, and much greater AF customization, and wireless flash control. You're paying a lot more because you're getting a lot more. The 7D's video is almost an afterthought, and it has, at worst, a small incremental contribution to the design and manufacturing costs.

For 7 years, I worked in the engineering department at ATI Technologies (now AMD), so I understand these issues. Product pricing has as much, if not more, to do with marketing than manufacturing.

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Feb 27, 2010 15:18 |  #36

reng2009 wrote in post #9695390 (external link)
Product pricing has as much, if not more, to do with marketing than manufacturing.

An important point. I would feel very confident in saying that the single digit model number adds much more to the price tag than video.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

Abyssgh0st
THREAD ­ STARTER
340 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 27, 2010 17:47 |  #37

I love how this became a 7D thread :P. I'm not body-happy enough to make that jump!

Gear List

My Flickr (external link)

AutumnJazz
137 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 28, 2010 02:36 |  #38

No, no, no, no, no, no, no. The 7D's video feature is not responsible for its high price tag. To add video to a DSLR is not a particularly difficult engineering task, nor does it make manufacturing much more expensive. The 7D has to be looked at in totality in order to understand its pricing.

The 7D is essentially a pro body with its better build and weathersealing, its 100% viewfinder, its extraordinarily high continuous shooting speed, and its sophisticated AF. The engineering effort is much higher calibre, giving you dual processors, and much greater AF customization, and wireless flash control. You're paying a lot more because you're getting a lot more. The 7D's video is almost an afterthought, and it has, at worst, a small incremental contribution to the design and manufacturing costs.

For 7 years, I worked in the engineering department at ATI Technologies (now AMD), so I understand these issues. Product pricing has as much, if not more, to do with marketing than manufacturing.

What do you think of the large die-size of Fermi vs. Evergreen? Do you think the 480 will be able to compete with the 5970?

On topic: I'd rather keep an XSi longer, save my money, and then get a camera like the 7D than selling it and getting an xxD series camera right now.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/autumnjazz/ (external link)

WALLstBULL
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 02, 2010 04:43 |  #39

But isn't 7D's ISO performance whack ? I am considering upgrading from my XSI to 7D with a 24-105l for $2,200, but I read all kind of stories about 7D's bad performance at lower isos.

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 02, 2010 08:06 |  #40

Do whichever makes you feel more confident and better about what you do. It certainly will not hurt to get a 40D or 50D. Why not?

Ain't nothin but a thing.

btmlinedan
Goldmember
1,559 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 02, 2010 08:19 |  #41

just don't rely on the gear to take better pictures for you. when i had older gear, i feel like i worked harder to make the shot really stand out, opposed to now i sometimes get in the " oh just snap it at 2.8 and it'll be great" and not really worry about the editing side.

not saying this is everybody, or always me, but it does happen

*dan l *Flickr (external link) l *cars: dkfx Photography (external link) l weddings: Blue Martini Photography (external link) l YN622C tranceiver review (external link)

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 02, 2010 09:36 |  #42

btmlinedan wrote in post #9712785 (external link)
just don't rely on the gear to take better pictures for you. when i had older gear, i feel like i worked harder to make the shot really stand out, opposed to now i sometimes get in the " oh just snap it at 2.8 and it'll be great" and not really worry about the editing side.

not saying this is everybody, or always me, but it does happen

They could do what others do on this board every day ...

blame their equipment for bad shots.

Ain't nothin but a thing.

Perfect_10
Goldmember
1,998 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Mar 02, 2010 10:03 |  #43

.. The 7D is essentially a pro body with its better build and weathersealing, its 100% viewfinder, its extraordinarily high continuous shooting speed, and its sophisticated AF. .. .

krb wrote in post #9695404 (external link)
An important point. I would feel very confident in saying that the single digit model number adds much more to the price tag than video.

And that's why the 7D costs more ;)

Now

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1016.photobuck​et.com …_photos/Smilies​/focus.gif (external link)

My Gear List  :p

Perfect_10
Goldmember
1,998 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Mar 02, 2010 10:07 |  #44

Hobbes330i wrote in post #9692827 (external link)
I think you should play with what you have. Work on your 'tog' skills. .. .

gonzogolf wrote in post #9693136 (external link)
You've got gear lust. .. .

richierich1212 wrote in post #9693253 (external link)
Cameras are tools. Yes, some are better than others but like everyone has mentioned it is mostly the photographer who is responsible for great pictures. .. .

btmlinedan wrote in post #9712785 (external link)
just don't rely on the gear to take better pictures for you. ..

All the above are 100% on the money ..

Abyssgh0st wrote in post #9692662 (external link)
Hey everybody,

I started out in the DSLR world about 6 months ago with a Canon XS, and ended up getting an XSi about a week later due to a better deal. I've been satisfied with it thus far, but I find myself always buying new things for it. ... Input please, and thank you!

And here lies the problem .. methinks you have money burning a hole in your pocket. ;)

My Gear List  :p

mckinleypics
Goldmember
1,809 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 02, 2010 10:14 |  #45

You should stick with the XSi. Honor the promise you made to your parents. It will make the FF that much sweeter when it happens.

Dave
7D, 70-200mm 2.8 L IS, 24-70mm 2.8 L, 50mm 1.4, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8, 580EXII
My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

6,395 views & 0 likes for this thread
Am I wrong for wanting to make this switch?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.