Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 28 Feb 2010 (Sunday) 14:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

Yes Virginia, The Bowens Quick Ring Will Work With An Octabox... and a Strip Box

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,467 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 03, 2010 09:13 |  #61

Y'all done ordering so I can get an order in???

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

mufutau55
Goldmember
1,278 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 03, 2010 09:13 |  #62

No. You got it confused just like Robert mentioned earlier.
The Bowens Quick Ring and Red-Wing insert does work perfectly.

I was saying that when I took out the insert that came with the Visico's generic speedring, that did not work. I was just trying to see if the ebay generic insert will work also.

But the Bowens Ring and Red-Wing insert did work with the Visico Octabox.

Mufutau

williejr wrote in post #9718880 (external link)
So the Bowens quick ring + Red wing insert did not work with you octabox? I wonder if I will have the same issue with the Cheetah octa.

tetrode
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,777 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 03, 2010 09:54 as a reply to  @ mufutau55's post |  #63

While we're sort of on the subject of boneheaded corporate decisions (making the insert opening in the Bowens Quick Ring too small to accommodate 99.9% of available inserts), here's another favorite of mine.

Look at this:

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4018/4404231402_3ac14e5c5b_o.jpg

This is a photo of the hardware that used to come with Photek Illuminatas. The Illuminatas, both small and large, are heavier than similar sized conventional octaboxes so Photek thoughtfully provided a cast on stud on the edge of the supplied speed ring, a heavy duty tilting bracket, and a tilting handle to allow you to relocate the weight from your light to your lightstand. They also threw in that beefy little spigot seen in the middle of the speed ring. So far, bravo to Photek.

Notice I said "used to". Photek has recently made some changes that, to me, are beyond comprehension. First, the cast on stud and hardware are no longer included with smaller Illuminatas. Hmm. Okay, the smaller unit isn't really that heavy so I'll give them a pass on that money-saving decision.

However, here's the unfathomable part: While the speed ring included with the larger Illuminata still has the cast on stud, the tilt bracket is no longer included nor is the handle. So, you say to yourself, just use any umbrella swivel. AHA! Wrong! For some totally twisted reason, the diameter of the cast on stud is slightly larger than 5/8" and WILL NOT FIT in any off-the-shelf umbrella swivel. It WILL ONLY FIT in the proprietary Photek swivel that is not only no longer included in the package, but that is no longer available, period. In essence, then, the stud which was a critical feature of the product has been rendered essentially useless. It's now the big Illuminata's appendix.

Ah, so now you're thinking to yourself, stop whining, just use any speed ring that's tapped to accept a stud. No good. Why? Because (hehehehe...) Photek also makes the Illuminata's rod tips fatter than standard and they won't fit in the holes in a standard speed ring!

And that beefy, shiny spigot they provided? It's also fatter than 5/8" on both ends so it could never have been used for anything anyway.

Pretty amazing, huh?

To close on a positive note, the Illuminatas are unique and wonderful modifiers. They're extremely well built, relatively easy to set up, and very reasonably priced.

Dave F.

TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 03, 2010 10:08 as a reply to  @ tetrode's post |  #64

Amazing stuff Dave. This exists everywhere and it kills me whenever see it. I assume you're looked long and hard through the light stand and grip hardware to confirm that there are no compatible items?

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

williejr
746 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 03, 2010 12:44 |  #65

TMR Design wrote in post #9719789 (external link)
Hi Willie,

I think you've gotten confused.

The Red Wing Bowens insert works with the Bowens Quick Ring, as does the SP and Photek inserts.

Once you have the correct insert installed in the Quick Ring you can use it with ANY standard softbox or strip box. Opening up the 1/4"-20 mounting hole gives you the mount for the 8th rod of an octa and the ring is then compatible with Octa's.

That's it. :D

Thanks for clearing that up Robert. I feel much better now. :) :)

tetrode
3,777 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 03, 2010 13:21 |  #66

TMR Design wrote in post #9720361 (external link)
... I assume you're looked long and hard through the light stand and grip hardware to confirm that there are no compatible items?

But of course, Robert. The stud fits none of the eight umbrella swivels I have on hand and a chat with Photek Larry confirmed the non-standard size of the protuberance molded into the Illuminata speed ring.

Dave F.

Rudi
Goldmember
3,751 posts
Joined Mar 2002

Mar 03, 2010 17:24 |  #67

tetrode wrote in post #9720273 (external link)
To close on a positive note, the Illuminatas are unique and wonderful modifiers. They're extremely well built, relatively easy to set up, and very reasonably priced.

That's great. Now if only they were able to be mounted on a light stand, they'd be perfect! :p

• Wedding Photographer - Sydney and Wollongong (external link)
• Borrowed Moment (blog) (external link)

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.

pepperoni
980 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 03, 2010 21:16 |  #68

Thanks for all the legwork guys. This is great info.

Mamiya. Canon. Elinchrom.

mufutau55
Goldmember
1,278 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 06, 2010 20:30 as a reply to  @ pepperoni's post |  #69

Update: Went to B&H on Thursday and got two Bowens Quick Rings, the only colour they have is the Silver/Gray ones.. no black. Stock staff looked to see if they have any black and they have nerver seen one.. they were surprised I got the Black copy from Adorama with the same BW-3110 Part number.

Mufutau

TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 10, 2010 14:10 as a reply to  @ mufutau55's post |  #70

FYI: Both B&H and Adorama are out of stock on the Bowens insert for the Quick Ring.

B&H estimates they'll have them sometime in May and Adorama says late April.

I need a Bowens insert so if anyone knows where they are available please let me know.

Robert

mufutau55
Goldmember
1,278 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 10, 2010 14:17 |  #71

Yeah! I know what you mean. I went to both stores for the SP-Systems Bowens Insert but none of them have it.. (tried google search too, no luck) so I placed online order with B&H with their 7-14days delivery.. so I am still waiting.
But meanwhile, I had two Red Wing Inserts which fits and works perfectly, and I am using those for now.. they are $16.95 instead of SP-Systems for $9.95.

Mufutau

TMR Design wrote in post #9768744 (external link)
FYI: Both B&H and Adorama are out of stock on the Bowens insert for the Quick Ring.

B&H estimates they'll have them sometime in May and Adorama says late April.

I need a Bowens insert so if anyone knows where they are available please let me know.

TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 10, 2010 14:22 |  #72

mufutau55 wrote in post #9768788 (external link)
Yeah! I know what you mean. I went to both stores for the SP-Systems Bowens Insert but none of them have it.. (tried google search too, no luck) so I placed online order with B&H with their 7-14days delivery.. so I am still waiting.
But meanwhile, I had two Red Wing Inserts which fits and works perfectly, and I am using those for now.. they are $16.95 instead of SP-Systems for $9.95.

Mufutau

The 7-14 delivery estimate is based on special ordering, assuming the item is available from the supplier or manufacturer. In this case the insert is not available so you'd have to find a store that has them in stock or has one laying around. B&H does not expect to have more until May so a special order won't make it happen sooner. :(

Robert

mufutau55
Goldmember
1,278 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 10, 2010 14:42 |  #73

Quite understood. Thanks Robert.

Mufutau

TMR Design wrote in post #9768827 (external link)
The 7-14 delivery estimate is based on special ordering, assuming the item is available from the supplier or manufacturer. In this case the insert is not available so you'd have to find a store that has them in stock or has one laying around. B&H does not expect to have more until May so a special order won't make it happen sooner. :(

tetrode
3,777 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 10, 2010 17:25 as a reply to  @ mufutau55's post |  #74

I received my SP Studio Systems Bowens insert from B&H today. As hoped/expected, the insert fits perfectly in the Bowens Quick Ring. As a bonus, it's also significantly shorter than the generic Bowens inserts we've all seen or owned.

Here's the SP insert next to a generic insert:

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4039/4423606408_0d7fa7fa7f_o.jpg

With a flat edge to better show the height difference:

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4010/4422842197_d76322325e_o.jpg

The low profile makes quite a difference. Here's a shot showing a generic Bowens insert in a generic speedring:

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2790/4422877327_ab0f474469_o.jpg

Notice the space between the back of the speedring and the front of the bracket's Bowens mount. The Sunpak 120J flashtube is partially exposed.

Now here's the SP insert in the same generic speedring:

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4041/4422842147_d4695f655c_o.jpg

With the SP insert there is no space between the rear of the speedring and the front of the Bowens mount. Notice how much more of the flashtube can now be seen.

But wait! There's more! You will recall the object of this excercise was to find a Bowens "S" type insert that would fit in the undersized opening of a Bowens BW-3110 Quick Ring. Well, the SP is perfect:

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2715/4422842121_aa5b2e920b_o.jpg

The Sunpak's flashtube is now almost fully exposed. Here's a view of the mounted speedring from the rear:

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4029/4422842235_584aeaa377_o.jpg

Okay, caveat time: The SP insert is an ideal solution for Quick Ring users but it is not compatible with standard speedrings because of its atypically small diameter. In fact, the SP insert cannot be physically secured in any of the standard speedrings I have on hand. Look at this:

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2771/4423606362_dfdb16084e_o.jpg

The small diameter prevents the insert from seating under the speedring's compression washers. The photo I presented above showing the SP insert in a generic speedring was for illustrative purposes only. The insert was not attached to the speedring in that photo; it couldn't be.

I believe the SP insert+Quick Ring to be the lowest profile Bowens compatible mounting arrangement you're likely to find. As can be seen, the rear of the Quick Ring is almost in contact with the front of the bracket's Bowens mount so that's as good as it's going to get. For $9.95, you can't go wrong with the SP insert IF you're using the Bowens Quick Ring.

Dave F.

TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 10, 2010 17:45 as a reply to  @ tetrode's post |  #75

Thanks Dave,

I'm loving the Quick Ring. I have all the Elinchrom inserts I need. Now I just need to find a resource for the Bowens insert.

Robert

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

40,685 views & 0 likes for this thread.
Yes Virginia, The Bowens Quick Ring Will Work With An Octabox... and a Strip Box
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.