Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Mar 2010 (Wednesday) 22:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do people have super-low-mileage cameras

darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 04, 2010 01:42 |  #16

Some people sadly just don't shoot enough.

Tumblr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Youtube (external link)
Gear

sponsored links
zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 04, 2010 01:46 |  #17

Its not about spraying, its how you spray that makes the difference... :)

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

richierich1212
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 04, 2010 02:22 |  #18

Yep some people just aren't able to take as many shots as others, or they are so good they make every shot count ;)

Gearlist · Feedback

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 04, 2010 02:25 |  #19

I definitely think about my shots... doesn't change the fact that I shoot about 2k a month between my two bodies.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,488 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 04, 2010 06:23 |  #20

Actuations are meaningless. Keepers count.

Elie / אלי

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,084 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 04, 2010 07:59 |  #21

Like the film guy said, I'm trying to make my shots count a little more these days. Working on getting it right with a couple shots rather than 10, leaving the camera DOWN when I know an interesting shot isn't there. But I'll still shoot high-speed burst mode when shooting sports. This method almost guarantees a peak action shot will come from a sequence.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 04, 2010 08:07 |  #22

snyderman wrote in post #9726636 (external link)
But I'll still shoot high-speed burst mode when shooting sports. This method almost guarantees a peak action shot will come from a sequence.

dave

Same here. I suck at sports so I shoot a lot, cull a lot, and the girls don't ever find out that I suck at sports.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

steveng004
46 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 04, 2010 08:46 as a reply to  @ darosk's post |  #23

I think people would agree it depends on the use, right??

If you're taking a picture of a sunset you might have 15 minutes to get a couple shots.. With objects that don't move like buildings, flowers, etc you can get one shot and be done. If you go on a birding trip to Costa Rica you might take 3,000 shots and have 100-200 great ones. If your subject is in and out of shadows, behind branches, moving quickly and unexpectedly I think it's fair to assume a camera will have tons of work on it..... Similar situation for sports shooting, but probably not as difficult to get things perfect.

What is odd is when you see some of these so-called 'action' cameras with low shutter counts.

It's easy to grin..... when your ship's come in...... AND you've got the stock market beat...... But a man worthwhile...... is a man who can smile...... when his shorts aren't too tight in the seat.

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 04, 2010 08:50 |  #24
bannedPermanently

My xti is on it's death bed. I ran that thing through two years of high school and Iraq.

Imma miss it when it doesn't click anymore =[[

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 04, 2010 09:06 |  #25

Brett wrote in post #9724907 (external link)
Some of us used to shoot film. It was a more thoughtful process, because in general, you left the house with a few 36-exposure rolls...or, a camera with a partially-depleted roll, meaning only a few shots. Each shot had a definite cost, in terms of film and processing (unless you had your own darkroom, and even then, chemicals and paper weren't cheap).

Now, it's easy to leave the house with a DSLR and come back with hundreds or thousands of shots, at virtually no cost. But some of us are stuck in the old film mentality: make each shot count.

FWIW, my year-old 5D has less than 4K exposures, and I carry my camera a lot.

True for me. I have been guilty of wasting shots just because I can. Mostly though I am careful about getting it right so I don't have to wade through multiple shots of the same thing in pp. I don't conserve to save the shutter or anything like that. If the camera breaks down I can justify a new one to the old lady.

Still I average about 3k a year. Which, to the OP's point, is a lot more than some people.

Ain't nothin but a thing.

John ­ Hudson
Goldmember
1,163 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 04, 2010 09:40 |  #26

It can be a question of multiple bodies, constant upgrading, style of use or subject of photography.

When I shoot motorsports I can take between 500 and 1500 shots in a full day. Landscape, can be anything from a half dozen to a rare 200 or so.

Combine the worst case, a landscaper who only shoots a few frames per outing, regularly upgrades the multiple bodies owned and you end up with cameras with tiny shutter counts.

Then you have the other end, sports shooters who are maybe not as established, own one body and machine gun an event. You end up with young bodies and 300k shots.

Cameras are used in a myriad of ways. I've got a five year old 20D (my only camera) with about 32k on it. 80% of those clicks are motorsport, but my ratio of final images is about 50-50 between motorsport and landscapes.

John.

palaima
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 04, 2010 09:52 |  #27

well, my 1.5 year old Xti has 24k shots. 22k was done when i was learning everything/family shots. 2k was after i started using film(i learned ALOT from it) and it was done in 9 months or so. Every time i go out to shoot i usually come back with 30-40 photos, and that number is getting smaller and smaller :)
So taking this into account a professional can really get such low count of shots :)

http://500px.com/ppala​ima (external link)

blackhawk
Goldmember
1,785 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 04, 2010 09:53 |  #28

Low mileage? nope...

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away and know when to run
You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealing's done

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,258 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

Mar 04, 2010 09:58 |  #29

shooting styles differ, some people take photographs every day, others once a week when they get time, or special occasions, others a couple of times a month..

YMMV

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
Gear | Tweet (external link) | Insta (external link) | Ultimate Lens MA FoCal 2 (external link)| Ultimate RAW Editor (external link)

themonk3y
83 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 04, 2010 10:12 |  #30

In my first two days I took around 1k shots of the most random things around. I was so pumped to finally have a DSLR I was taking pictures of everything. Haha. I'm definitely not gonna have a low milage camera when I'm through with this thing. I envy those that do have low milage though, a lot of it (I think) is probably attributed to skill.

sponsored links

5,736 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do people have super-low-mileage cameras
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.