Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 06 Mar 2010 (Saturday) 09:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for input on color and contrast

Stu ­ Scully
90 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 06, 2010 09:49 |  #1

Below are some pics I took at a local import show. The sun was harsh and I'm torn at how best to compensate for it.

IMAGE: http://www.stuscully.com/Events/2010-Import-Faceoff-NPR/8C0U0421/800806143_AdEjj-L-1.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.stuscully.com/Events/2010-Import-Faceoff-NPR/8C0U0338/800797789_DqndR-L-1.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.stuscully.com/Events/2010-Import-Faceoff-NPR/8C0U0175/800781366_WQtAu-L-1.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.stuscully.com/Events/2010-Import-Faceoff-NPR/8C0U0233/800783950_FARop-L-1.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.stuscully.com/Events/2010-Import-Faceoff-NPR/8C0U9958/800819127_uxEXL-L-1.jpg

sponsored links
blackhawk
Goldmember
1,785 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 06, 2010 10:06 |  #2

Is your monitor calibrated?

1 - too much contrast, or tone curve wrong, and/or black level too high
2 - WB looks off, and/or too much contrast, and/or black level too high
5 - too much contrast, or tone curve wrong, and/or black level too high

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away and know when to run
You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealing's done

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,051 posts
Gallery: 196 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 06, 2010 10:50 as a reply to  @ blackhawk's post |  #3

For post processing, if you have CS4 at least, you can go to "image>adjustments>shadows/highlights" to correct the dark areas. You don't have image editing OK turned on or I'd show you an example.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

corkneyfonz
Goldmember
2,477 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 06, 2010 11:12 |  #4

The biggest problem I have with these is the over exposure and washed out colours. However, I feel that you need to work a little more on your compositional skills for as they stand these are more suited for your facebook pages than as stand alone images on a photographic forum. Sorry for the rather harsh criticism.

My Flickr (external link)

Stu ­ Scully
THREAD ­ STARTER
90 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 06, 2010 12:17 |  #5

navydoc wrote in post #9740428 (external link)
For post processing, if you have CS4 at least, you can go to "image>adjustments>shadows/highlights" to correct the dark areas. You don't have image editing OK turned on or I'd show you an example.

I turned it on if you do wish to post an example.

Stu ­ Scully
THREAD ­ STARTER
90 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 06, 2010 12:19 |  #6

blackhawk wrote in post #9740240 (external link)
Is your monitor calibrated?

1 - too much contrast, or tone curve wrong, and/or black level too high
2 - WB looks off, and/or too much contrast, and/or black level too high
5 - too much contrast, or tone curve wrong, and/or black level too high

Thanks for the advise. I haven't played with the tone curves too much so I will experiment with them.

Stu ­ Scully
THREAD ­ STARTER
90 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 06, 2010 12:27 |  #7

corkneyfonz wrote in post #9740517 (external link)
The biggest problem I have with these is the over exposure and washed out colours. However, I feel that you need to work a little more on your compositional skills for as they stand these are more suited for your facebook pages than as stand alone images on a photographic forum. Sorry for the rather harsh criticism.

I will gladly accept your criticism. Unfortunately I was shooting at near high noon and the few pictures I tried to adjust for the washed out colors ended up looking more like a painted cartoon. I guess you can say due to my inexperience with advanced color processing I chose the best of two evils.

And you are right about the composition. I had an accident that messed up my wrists and I've finally gotten enough strength to by able to move the camera around (without much pain). My mindset while shooting was more along the lines of just catching candids and I avoided (which I shouldn't have but I did) really setting up some of the shots. Plus there were a lot of people walking around and I lost quie a few shots during the day due to people walking in my path and then losing the 'scene'. So I was shooting more like a gatling gun than a sniper for most of the day.

In the future I will make an effort to shoot more for quality than quantity (I was too excited to even be shooting that day to be honest).

blackhawk
Goldmember
1,785 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 06, 2010 12:38 |  #8

Stu Scully wrote in post #9740831 (external link)
Thanks for the advise. I haven't played with the tone curves too much so I will experiment with them.

Shoot as RAW files if not already. DPP is a easy to use and free Canon app for editing RAWS that does a better job than other 3rd party apps sometimes.

Changing picture styles in the RAW files can also help. Try the using the "faithful" setting when the contrast is too harsh.

Try using a different metering mode while shooting and/or using manual mode.

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away and know when to run
You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealing's done

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,051 posts
Gallery: 196 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 06, 2010 12:52 as a reply to  @ blackhawk's post |  #9

An example for 'rescuing' images that are too dark/high contrast using the 'shadows/highlights' adjustment in PS CS4. I just did the 1st picture in your original post.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

sponsored links

909 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking for input on color and contrast
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.