Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 06 Mar 2010 (Saturday) 14:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Are there ANY reputable dealers who do not keep part of the instant rebate?

Shenanigans
267 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 06, 2010 14:06 |  #1

I'd like to take advantage of the $1,000 spring rebate by ordering the combination of 5D-II and 200mm f 2.0 IS lens, but if history is any guide, then I can expect Amazon, Adorama, and B&H to raise their prices tomorrow and keep them inflated while the rebate is in effect... :(

I sent Helen at Adorama an email to see if I can purchase this combo at pre-rebate prices, or $2,499 and $5,300, subtract $1,000 rebate, and no charge for shipping, but I have not yet heard back from her.

In case Adorama can not accomodate my request, are there any other reputable, and "authorized" Canon dealers that you would recommend for me to contact?

sponsored links
punkerz123
328 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 06, 2010 14:28 |  #2

They are all evil and will pocket a portion of your rebate :evil:

Olympus OM-D E-M5 | 25mm f/1.4
Feedback

jacuff
Goldmember
2,581 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 06, 2010 16:03 |  #3

It's not evil... it's business. Adorama has that combo listed at $8,498.00.

Gear, Feedback (eBay (external link)), Web (external link), Blog (external link), FB (external link), Twitter (external link)

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 06, 2010 16:41 |  #4

Wait a minute, those are still their current prices. I haven't looked at the rebate since I'm not in the market for anything new but don't their rebates simply state that the items need to be on the same invoice?

Flickr (external link)

Sports_Dude
Goldmember
1,111 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 06, 2010 16:42 |  #5

Canoga Camera is a good place to buy. When I bought my 100-400 during the last canon rebate event at B&H, they did not raise their prices once the rebates began.

Sports_Dude
7D Gripped | 17-55 f/2.8 IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II | 580EXII

jacuff
Goldmember
2,581 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 06, 2010 16:58 |  #6

K6AZ wrote in post #9741951 (external link)
Wait a minute, those are still their current prices. I haven't looked at the rebate since I'm not in the market for anything new but don't their rebates simply state that the items need to be on the same invoice?

Yeah, but Adorama has stated that their storefront can't handle A + B -C = D so they create a kit that has A and B in it for a price E. Other stores are that way too. E is often more than D. So what people have started doing is buying A and B non-kitted and not getting the instant rebate at checkout and then contacting the store to get credited back the instant rebate amount. It takes some extra time and effort, but you still get your product and save money. YMMV though. If an authorized dealer doesn't credit you the rebate amount you can report them to Canon.

Gear, Feedback (eBay (external link)), Web (external link), Blog (external link), FB (external link), Twitter (external link)

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 06, 2010 17:07 |  #7

jacuff wrote in post #9742023 (external link)
Yeah, but Adorama has stated that their storefront can't handle A + B -C = D so they create a kit that has A and B in it for a price E. Other stores are that way too. E is often more than D. So what people have started doing is buying A and B non-kitted and not getting the instant rebate at checkout and then contacting the store to get credited back the instant rebate amount. It takes some extra time and effort, but you still get your product and save money. YMMV though. If an authorized dealer doesn't credit you the rebate amount you can report them to Canon.

Ah, I see, this is an instant rebate. I remember reading about this exact issue with Adorama here a few months ago. So if I were to add those separate items to my cart the total would be more than the two individual prices.

Flickr (external link)

Roy ­ G. ­ Biv
393 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 06, 2010 17:51 |  #8

jacuff wrote in post #9741784 (external link)
It's not evil... it's business. Adorama has that combo listed at $8,498.00.

Its answers like this from people who bend over and take it, that allow vendors to continue this process.

Are these the 2 items listed seperately?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

jacuff
Goldmember
2,581 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 06, 2010 18:38 |  #9

Roy G. Biv wrote in post #9742267 (external link)
Its answers like this from people who bend over and take it, that allow vendors to continue this process.

Are these the 2 items listed seperately?

I'm not actually in the market for any of those lenses, so I'm not going to be doing any bending over. I'm more in the market for a 7D though and I haven't seen the price of it rise as stores anticipate the rebate.

Shenanigans
THREAD ­ STARTER
267 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 07, 2010 00:44 |  #10

Sports Dude, thanks for the Canoga Camera rec. I don't see the 200 2.0 IS on their site, so I'll give them a call in the morning.

Does anyone else have any experience with Canoga Camera?

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 07, 2010 01:00 |  #11

Canoga Camera is a reputable dealer. I've bought from them on three different occasions and they were a stellar performer every time.

Bryan

My Gear List

iof
428 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Mar 07, 2010 08:57 |  #12

I order from Canoga quite regularly(they always seem to have the best price on Pro9500 inks). One measure of how reputable a store is what they do when things go wrong. On only one occasion has an order not gone smoothly. I was missing a small $30 adaptor that was on the packing list but not in the shipment. I called and a replacement was on its way that day. No hassle. No questions. Just ship. So +1 for Canoga.

Ron.
5D,20D, D60, Elan 7, Canon stuff from the 70's, Pentax stuff from the 60's, other stuff.

Sports_Dude
Goldmember
1,111 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 07, 2010 09:52 |  #13

Canoga Camera is a great local shop for me, but when I buy lenses, the tax kills me so I typically go out of state.

Sports_Dude
7D Gripped | 17-55 f/2.8 IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II | 580EXII

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 07, 2010 11:47 |  #14

Sports_Dude wrote in post #9745558 (external link)
Canoga Camera is a great local shop for me, but when I buy lenses, the tax kills me so I typically go out of state.

Same for me. I've purchased from them, but the tax can be a deal breaker. On the 5D/200L combo you're going to be paying $800 in sales tax alone.

dave ­ kadolph
"Fix the cigarette lighter"
6,138 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Location: West Michigan--166.33 miles to the Cook County courthouse

Mar 07, 2010 18:56 as a reply to  @ crn3371's post |  #15

Check Norman Camera.

They haven't bumped their prices--but the web site has not been updated to show this round of rebates.

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

sponsored links

2,816 views & 0 likes for this thread
Are there ANY reputable dealers who do not keep part of the instant rebate?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.