Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 09 Mar 2010 (Tuesday) 04:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Building a Primes Kit

mattia
528 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 09, 2010 04:46 |  #1

I thought I'd more or less bought all the glass I needed, and then made the mistake of buying a 35L...and so it starts again! The prime lust has grabbed me...

My main 'subjects' tend to be people (candid portraits) and landscapes/nature photography, although I'm currently playing around with urban/street photography.

I've got pretty much all focal length covered by L zooms; 17-40, 24-105, 70-200/2.8, 100-400, and I really do love them for what they do, and the overall versatility and portability, but I invariably find my 'hit rate' with primes is higher. The zooms are staying, but I'm pondering a 'primes kit' for the (ultra)wide to medium telephoto range. I shoot a 5DII

Current primes:
- Canon Fisheye 15/2.8: staying, fun little lens
- Contax Zeiss Distagon 35/2.8: staying, MF is fun, and Zeiss glass has a great 'look'
- Canon 35L: staying, bought it a month ago, fast becoming my favourite lens.
- Contax Zeiss Planar 50/1.4: staying, great fun.
- Canon 50/1.8 mk I: probably going. IQ is fine, sharp, bokeh is so-so, but the slow and noisy AF annoys me, and it doesn't get used.
- Sigma 105/2.8 macro: staying, great IQ, annoyingly slow AF, but I don't do enough macro work to really consider upgrading it.
- Yashica 135/2.8: nothing special, MF, likely going since it doesn't get used much at all.

So, what glass to add to the 'kit'?
- I really enjoy 50mm glass, so I'm torn between the Sigmalux 50/1.4 and the 50L; I'll probably rent the L to see if it's worth it. Not sure whether the FL is too close to the 35, though. Not a huge priority given the 50's I have.
- 85mm...not sure I like the FL all that much, so I'll probably skip it
- 135L: looks like a great option for portraiture on full-frame. Used to use the Sigma macro for that, but it was always a touch long on crop.

On the ultrawide/wide angle, I'm still very much dithering - the 14L mk II looks like a fantastic proposition, but is another lens I think I should rent before buying to see if I get along with it. Downside to that is price. The alternative I'm considering is the Zeiss 21mm, or maybe the 18mm (although the reviews aren't quite as glowing). I briefly considered the Sigma 12-24 as well for the ultrawide crazy...

Thoughts? Other suggestions/alternativ​es? Anyone have a cure for the Prime Lust?

5DII | 300D | 30D IR | 17-40L | 24-105L IS | 70-200/2.8L IS | 100-400L IS | 15 FE | 35L | 50/1.8 mk I | 135L | Sigmalux 50/1.4 | Sigma 105/F2.8 Macro | C/Y Planar 50/1.4 | C/Y Distagon 35/2.8

sponsored links
nightcat
Goldmember
4,533 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 09, 2010 05:35 |  #2

For portraits on a full frame, the 135mm 2.0 is outstanding.

randomlinh
992 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 09, 2010 07:12 |  #3

the cure is to just buy it all =) I mainly use 30/85 on crop, but added in a 50 sigmalux because it's such a nice lens. I used to think it's too close to 30/85.. and I still do, but there are times when it's useful.

I would say get the 85/1.8, but since you don't like it, 135L. If/when I switch to FF, I will have to buy that. Part of why I don't want to go FF... too many lenses to buy, ha.

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 09, 2010 07:38 as a reply to  @ randomlinh's post |  #4

Another 30/85 user...I wouldn't mind adding a Sigmalux at some point, but I manage ok with the 30 and 85. I tend to shoot events now with my 24-70, but for more informal gatherings, the primes rule!

majipoor
82 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 09, 2010 07:56 |  #5

If you like that much the 35L, you should buy the 135L: 35L + 135L is a perfect prime combo for urban/candid photography and both are magic lenses.

mattia
THREAD ­ STARTER
528 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 09, 2010 08:07 |  #6

The reason I say I don't like 85mm is that the 50mm got pretty much no love on my crop body, and gets a lot of love on full-frame. I'll have to run some stats on the stuff I've shot with zooms and see if I like the 80-90mm FL stuff :)

5DII | 300D | 30D IR | 17-40L | 24-105L IS | 70-200/2.8L IS | 100-400L IS | 15 FE | 35L | 50/1.8 mk I | 135L | Sigmalux 50/1.4 | Sigma 105/F2.8 Macro | C/Y Planar 50/1.4 | C/Y Distagon 35/2.8

sponsored links

1,247 views & 0 likes for this thread
Building a Primes Kit
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.