Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 04 Mar 2010 (Thursday) 22:52
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Do you shoot in RAW or JPEG?"
RAW
90.4%
JPEG
9.6%

177 voters, 177 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RAW vs JPEG

CAL ­ Imagery
Goldmember
3,375 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 06, 2010 10:01 |  #16

The only times I will shoot JPG is when I don't have enough memory to shoot RAW (I have only 10 GB of memory cards at the moment). So, that's basically when shooting sports.

Christian

sponsored links
ScullenCrossBones
842 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 06, 2010 10:33 |  #17

If I shot sports or action, I would probably use jpeg, but I don't so raw for me.

:p Gear
Mama done took my Kodachrome away...

Lyndon ­ Chen
191 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 06, 2010 11:26 |  #18

Raw for me too. I only use jpegs for quick test shots.

http://www.shiningmome​ntphotography.com (external link)
5D2, 5D | 16-35L, 70-200 2.8L IS, Sigma 15 fish, 24L, 35L, 50 1.4, 50 2.5, 85 1.8, 135L | 2x580EX, 550EX, radiopoppers

JoeyBaccala
Goldmember
4,464 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 06, 2010 11:28 |  #19

Read the last line of my sig.

JOEY
5D MKII//SIGMA 50A/Helios 44-2/85L/70-200 f2.8LIS USM II
Flickr (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/josephkaminskiphoto​graphy (external link)

lettershop
A lame title from the TF
967 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 06, 2010 11:48 |  #20

JoeyB-You need to shoot with a watertight, sealed camera if you shoot like you....

1DX, Gripped 60D,10-22mm, 18-135mm, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 24-70L, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 100mm f2.8 Macro, 50mm f/1.4, 60mm 2/2.8 Macro, 580ex, 430EXII, Pocketwizards, Softbox, Tamron 1.4X TC, Canon 2x TC, GT3541LS, BH-55

ScullenCrossBones
842 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 06, 2010 12:57 |  #21

JoeyBaccala wrote in post #9740590 (external link)
Read the last line of my sig.

You Fcuk JPEG ??? :p

:p Gear
Mama done took my Kodachrome away...

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 06, 2010 13:24 |  #22

Dudes, better get back OT quickly...

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Sitting ­ Elf
147 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 06, 2010 13:58 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #23

On all my DSLR's, I shoot RAW+JPEG.

I use larger capacity high speed CF cards (currently using Sandisk 8GB 30mb/s 300x cards on my 5D mk II, and 16GB 60mb/s 400x cards on my 7D to take advantage of 8fps shooting capability.) I have NEVER had a failure of a Sandisk (as I have in the distant past with Lexar) and always use camera FORMAT function to reformat.. never using a computer to erase images on the card.

I shoot both RAW + JPEG for a specific reason:
I always set RAW to full size.. never using sRaw (Smaller RAW images selection on some cameras) because you never know when you're going to capture that once in a lifetime shot that you want to blow up into a billboard! For JPEG, I select a much smaller size to store concurrently with the RAW. I do this because when I unload my CF's onto my Mac, I can review and rate shots MUCH quicker in Preview using the JPEG's, than I can with RAW's that take much more time to load each image to preview. It allows me to VERY quickly review and reject all but those I want to do further processing on. This workflow saves me a great deal of time before loading up the final selected RAW's in Aperture 3 for processing.

I carry spare CF's and batteries, and can shoot virtually thousands of images before having to recharge batteries and unload the CF's.

Having the Jpegs concurrently ALSO allows you to see very quickly how much processing you may have to do on a particular shot, as well as focus, composition, and bokeh.

I find it far more valuable and efficient than straight RAW shooting.

BTW... the Sandisk 16GB 60mb/s 400x cards are currently selling on Amazon for $103. I was shocked to walk into my local Best Buy yesterday and see that they are selling the exact same card for $297.00 plus tax!!

Bodies: 1Dx, 5D MkII + MkIII, 7D, 50D, SD780IS, | Stability: Gitzo GT5532LS, RRS BH-55, Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 and Monopod
Lenses: Canon 16-35mm/f2.8L ll, 24-70 f/2.8L ll, 24-105mm/f4L, 100-400/f4.5-5.6L, 50mm/1.8 II, 100/2.8L II, 85/1.8 USM, MP-E65/2.8 1-5X, 15mm Fishy, 70-200 2.8L II, 40mm Pancake
Lighting: 580EXII, 430EXII, MT-24EX, MR-14EX

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,060 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 06, 2010 19:16 as a reply to  @ post 9736582 |  #24

I once shot only JPEG because...

I once shot only JPEG because I thought that there was something magical and difficult about shooting RAW. I then decided to try RAW but, still being scared, I shot RAW + JPEG large. I then ended up shooting only RAW because I absolutely love the control I have over my imagery in RAW.

EXCEPT... I am traveling to China for two weeks starting March 30th. I plan to shoot hundreds upon hundreds of images each day. No problem, right - shoot RAW.

HOWEVER... my wife wants to immediately have images to post on a blog about the trip. She is anxious that her extended family can follow us vicariously.

My standard workflow on a rip (I usually travel in my motor home in a more leisurely fashion than 7 cities in the 14 days we will be in China) is to download my RAW images from my CF cards, batch rename them in Adobe Bridge CS3, and copy them to two Western Digital, My Passport 500GB external hard drives. I view selected images in Adobe Bridge but, do not do any other post processing. I then reformat my CF cards and recharge my camera and flash batteries.

I will not have a computer with me that has Bridge or Photoshop installed. Instead, we will be using my wife's small computer.. To work around this, I plan to shoot in RAW + JPEG fine/small. I can download the images from my CF cards using the Microsoft My Pictures, duplicate copy to the two hard drives, view them in JPEG to catch any obvious mechanical or operator problems and attach a few JPEGS to my wife's blog to satisfy her desire to keep her family updated. I will do no cropping or retouching in any way. I know that I will be dog tired each evening. I am confident enough of my photo skills to expect good JPEG imagery without a great deal of post processing.

I have PLENTY of CF memory. Memory has become darned inexpensive over the last year or two; so shooting RAW + JPEG small/fine is not storage problem - either when shooting or after I copy my images to the two hard drives.

I have made it a practice always to comply with any and all photographic desires of my wife. That way, I get no static when a new piece of gear arrives via UPS.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

Guapo
547 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 06, 2010 22:47 |  #25

RPCrowe wrote in post #9742678 (external link)
I have made it a practice always to comply with any and all photographic desires of my wife.

A wise man.

Back to your original point, why not just install DPP on her machine? It's fairly lightweight compared to CS3. Or even Lightroom 3 Beta. Also, have you seen the free RAW codec pack for Windows? I absolutely love it.

http://www.fastpicture​viewer.com/ (external link)

- Steven
Canon 7D

Nifty Fifty - Sigma 17-50 f2.8 EX DC OS - Canon 70-200 f2.8
L IS MkI - Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-1 - Calumet Genesis 200 - misc

CAL ­ Imagery
Goldmember
3,375 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 07, 2010 00:08 |  #26

tonylong wrote in post #9741108 (external link)
Dudes, better get back OT quickly...

But it is OT! :lol:

Christian

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 07, 2010 18:48 |  #27

Alex_Venom wrote in post #9735905 (external link)
I shoot RAW mainly for the white balance changing capability. If I could change the white balance in a JPEG without ruining the shot, I'd shoot JPEG.

You can, inconspiculously hide something pure white in each image..for weddings (I shoot jpeg anyway) I make sure a little white dove I have is in the background or somewhere in the image so I can take a white balance from it. Or you could do a custom WB using a filter or a white coffee filter (that is what I use). Either way, shooting jpeg is the best for me, I believe in getting it right in the camera the first time, then I crop in post and I'm done.

gcogger
Goldmember
2,554 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Mar 08, 2010 02:11 |  #28

Shooting wrote in post #9748417 (external link)
You can, inconspiculously hide something pure white in each image..for weddings (I shoot jpeg anyway) I make sure a little white dove I have is in the background or somewhere in the image so I can take a white balance from it. Or you could do a custom WB using a filter or a white coffee filter (that is what I use). Either way, shooting jpeg is the best for me, I believe in getting it right in the camera the first time, then I crop in post and I'm done.

The problem with that approach is that a white object could easily have one (or more) of the RGB channels clipped, at which point it becomes useless for white balancing. If you could sneak something pure grey into the shot, that would work better, but I guess that's harder to arrange.

Graeme
My galleries (external link)

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 08, 2010 02:33 |  #29

What an original idea for a thread - NOT!

blah blah blah

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

obkcaptain
159 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 10, 2010 09:03 as a reply to  @ philwillmedia's post |  #30

"omlets in pan, soup in saucepan".
shooting 30 pics in *.jpeg, you will have 30 pictures. Shooting in *raw, 300, 400, even 1000. Its depend on the time you spent in front of the computer...
I prefer raw rather than jpeg.
sorry for my (bad) english

A Canon gear, some lenses, mono(tri)pod, flash and need to learn...

sponsored links

2,655 views & 0 likes for this thread
RAW vs JPEG
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.