Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 10 Mar 2010 (Wednesday) 23:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 30mm F1.4 or Canon 28mm F1.8

Mundty
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 11, 2010 09:49 |  #16

RPCrowe wrote in post #9774212 (external link)
I often say that Ken Rockwell is a great _____ but, I seldom use the word "great" alone when describing him.

Have to agree, Ken Rockwell is a skilled photographer. But he is far from being the king. I don't know if anyone could really be considered the king... I've seen photos from people here that impressed me more than Mr. Rockwell.

www.mikemundt.com (external link)
EOS 5D Mark II | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L | Speedlite 430EX II | Manfrotto MT293A4 & 494 Tripod
Interests: Environmental Portraits | Urban/Travel | Wildlife | Landscape | Celestial | Experimental

sponsored links
shooter ­ mcgavin
526 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 11, 2010 09:56 |  #17

I have owned both and used each pretty extensively. I had to sell each for different reasons, but when thinking about which one to buy again, I'm definitely leaning toward the sigma. Maybe my 28mm was a bad copy, but wide-open, it was pretty soft with low contrast. The sigma looked better at f/1.4 than the canon at f/2...that being said, the jump from f/1.4 to f/1.8 isn't a huge deal to me, as long as I'm able to shoot wide-open confidently, but the sigma just performed better at wider apertures.

If someone has a different experience with the Canon, let me know, because I really liked the idea of working with a 28 and 85 pair...they just feel right together.

irrelevant
66 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 11, 2010 10:09 |  #18

another comparison:
http://www.focalplane.​net/canon28sigma30/ (external link)

I don't trust Rockwell's judgement. Seems very biased

k_wakasugi
943 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 11, 2010 10:12 |  #19

realmike15 wrote in post #9774270 (external link)
Have to agree, Ken Rockwell is a skilled photographer. But he is far from being the king. I don't know if anyone could really be considered the king... I've seen photos from people here that impressed me more than Mr. Rockwell.

lol, they were being facetious. Ken Rockwell is a tool.

FS: 85 1.8 w/hood - $300!!!
1D Mark II - This is my Canon. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
Gear List

10megapixel
"I'm a little slow"
3,872 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 11, 2010 10:16 |  #20

k_wakasugi wrote in post #9774459 (external link)

Thank you for picking up on that ;) :lol:

Gear List & Feedback

rogazilla
372 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 11, 2010 10:21 |  #21

http://blog.bahneman.c​om …?story=Ken_Rock​well_Facts (external link)

Roger
My Zenfolio (external link)
Gear List

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 11, 2010 10:50 |  #22

Do we have to turn this into a Ken Rockwell bashing thread? I don't much care for him but it doesn't help the OP much.

I have the Sigma lens and love it. It is a fantastic fast lens, I love the colours and sharpness it gives and even works on full frame, albeit with heavy vignetting. I can't speak for the canon lens as I have never used it.

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

k_wakasugi
943 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 11, 2010 11:01 |  #23

What might be helpful to the OP is checking out the links at the bottom of this page under "Similar Threads", or running a quick little search on the topic as it's been discussed so many times before. I don't mean this as a "just go search" lecture, I'm just pointing out that there's plenty of info to be found outside of this thread as well ;)

My 2 cents would be that I enjoyed the sigma very much when I used it, even shooting on a 1.3x crop body. The vignetting doesn't get THAT bad until about f/5.6-8ish. The build was solid, and i'm definitely picking one up again once my t2i comes in.

FS: 85 1.8 w/hood - $300!!!
1D Mark II - This is my Canon. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
Gear List

scuzy
THREAD ­ STARTER
116 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 11, 2010 11:13 |  #24

Thanks all for the great info. I don't think i will ever get into FF yet so i might just plunge into the sigma 30mm after looking at all the various pictures in the archive.

Mundty
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 11, 2010 12:00 |  #25

k_wakasugi wrote in post #9774459 (external link)

Hah, well it went right over my head

www.mikemundt.com (external link)
EOS 5D Mark II | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L | Speedlite 430EX II | Manfrotto MT293A4 & 494 Tripod
Interests: Environmental Portraits | Urban/Travel | Wildlife | Landscape | Celestial | Experimental

dmo580
760 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 11, 2010 12:27 |  #26

10megapixel wrote in post #9772694 (external link)
Well, the great Ken Rockwell says "If you shoot Canon, forget this Sigma and get the superior Canon 28 1.8 for less money (external link)". So there you go...the king has spoken :lol:

I think it goes the other way now. The Sigma is cheaper with Canon's price increases last time I checked. I think Ken brings up some good poitns about the Sigma from what I remember. Good bokeh, bad AF. Bad AF can be documented on these forums and other review sites as this is typical of Sigma. He's just a tool when he jumps to a conclusion and tells you lens A > lens B for _______ reason and then dismisses the competition even though it could be a tough choice (like when he picks the 17-85 or 18-55 over the 17-55 simply because he likes reach or the 18-55 is 1/10th the price... while those may be reasons for some, it seems like he far overlooks the awesomeness of the 17-55 2.8 )

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either lens.

Canon 7D & Rebel T1i: Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, Canon 55-250mm IS, Canon 28 f/1.8, Speedlite 580EX II, Speedlite 430EX II

sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,160 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Mar 11, 2010 13:04 |  #27

What about the Sigma 28 f1.8 II ?

Sonny
website (external link)|Gear List

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 11, 2010 13:22 |  #28

Canon just needs a good , reasonably priced EF-S 31mm f1.8 to end all of this madness.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

hyt
114 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 12, 2010 15:18 as a reply to  @ tkbslc's post |  #29

Went through the same decision process late last year, and bought both new at the same time in order to compare them. The Sigma was very good but quite heavy and slower focusing. I was lucky in that my copy focused properly out of the box, since the 50/1.4 HSM I had purchased before didn't do so well on my 5D. The Canon was lighter and had a closer minimum focusing distance. It also guaranteed compatibility with not only future EOS bodies but also full frame.

What it came down to was image quality. Out of the box, the Sigma was significantly sharper wide open than the Canon. On a hunch, I sent the Canon to Irvine for a checkup. It came back with "electrical adjustments performed" and "resolution adjusted to factory standards" (per the service statement). A re-test showed that the Canon had improved dramatically and was actually sharp wide open, albeit with some halation that was easily processed out (and gone by f/2.2).

I kept the Canon and sold the Sigma, and bought a second copy of the Canon 28/1.8. This one was also a disaster especially wide open. It took two trips to Canon USA before it could match the performance of my first 28/1.8 at equal apertures.

I have to wonder just how many reports of the Canon 28/1.8 being a "bad" lens are because so many samples are out of spec right off the production line. I'm 0/2 with both my copies needing a trip (one of them, two trips) to get them fixed. Both were brand new Canon USA stock.

On the bright side, I'm happy with both of them now. I used to shoot Leica M and APO/ASPH lenses on film so I know sharp when I see it.

YankeeHotelFoxtrot
189 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 12, 2010 15:43 as a reply to  @ hyt's post |  #30

Hi hyt,

Do you have any samples showing the 28/1.8 post-tuneup? If the Canon is as sharp at 1.8 as the Sigma is at 1.4, I think that I can deal with the 2/3 stop disadvantage of the Canon for the improvement in AF. Do you have any showing comparisons of the Canon before and after calibration, or compared to the Sigma after calibration?

sponsored links

5,782 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 30mm F1.4 or Canon 28mm F1.8
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.