Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
Thread started 11 Mar 2010 (Thursday) 11:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Motocross lens choice 70-200 f2.8IS or F4 IS

328somewhere
636 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 11, 2010 11:34 |  #1

This has been torturing me for the last week. I need image stabilization plain and simple. I just want that tiny bit of sharpness that I am not getting all the time to boost my perfect pile up a little more. I am at about 75p% keeper rate and 15% perfect but thats not acceptable. Move the keeper to 85% and the perfect to atleast 25% we are in business. Mono pod would solve the problem with my current lens (Sigma 70-200 hsm VII). I know this because I tried the monopod and it worked. But I hate using a monopod for MX. So the question is f2.8 IS or F4 IS? I don't care about weight or length or price. Not willing to put the money down on a f2.8 IS II not worth it to me. I shoot with a 1d3 currently. I do shoot indoor but not a lot. Give me your feedback and comments.
Karl

sponsored links
Cadwell
Cream of the Crop
7,333 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Mar 11, 2010 12:04 |  #2

It should be real easy for YOU to answer. You have a Sigma 70-200/2.8 HSM. Look back at your old photos. How often do you shoot it at f/2.8 or at apertures larger than f/4? If the answer is "often" then you need an f/2.8. If the answer is "never" then get the f/4. If the answer is "sometimes" then you need to decided whether you can live with going up a stop in ISO for those shots to compensate or not.

They're both good lenses but there's really no way we can tell you whether you need the f/2.8 or f/4 one or not.

Glenn
My Pictures: Motorsport (external link)/Canoe Polo (external link)/Other Stuff (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,175 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 11, 2010 12:07 |  #3

The f4is version is a fantastic lens. Lighter than the 2.8. You should be able to work at f4 outside at events, but whether you like to or not is a matter of preference.

13inches
389 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 11, 2010 12:26 |  #4

Rent both, try them, buy the one you like. The cost of both rentals is pretty minor compared to the cost of either lens. And you'll have piece of mind knowing you made the choice and not a bunch of people on a message forum.

old ­ git
125 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 11, 2010 13:54 |  #5

328somewhere wrote in post #9774911 (external link)
This has been torturing me for the last week. I need image stabilization plain and simple. I just want that tiny bit of sharpness that I am not getting all the time to boost my perfect pile up a little more. I am at about 75p% keeper rate and 15% perfect but thats not acceptable. Move the keeper to 85% and the perfect to atleast 25% we are in business. Mono pod would solve the problem with my current lens (Sigma 70-200 hsm VII). I know this because I tried the monopod and it worked. But I hate using a monopod for MX. So the question is f2.8 IS or F4 IS? I don't care about weight or length or price. Not willing to put the money down on a f2.8 IS II not worth it to me. I shoot with a 1d3 currently. I do shoot indoor but not a lot. Give me your feedback and comments.
Karl

No No No... forget the IS. I have never met a mx photographer that wasted money on IS... get the f2.8 non is & learn how to hold the camera so its a little better supported..

www.imagemx.webs.com (external link)
www.anaturalimage.co.u​k (external link)

328somewhere
THREAD ­ STARTER
636 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 11, 2010 14:01 |  #6

Cadwell I understand what you are saying. I can really work it either way because I had a 70-200 f4l before the sigma. F2.8 was why I gave the sigma a try and it works beautifully. I have tried both IS lens and they are magic. The f4 is a little sharper but the backround blur the f2.8 produce can be unbelieveable. The thing that worries me the most is to buy one or the other and realize I should have bought the other one. Then try to resell it. Its more of a hassle. I guess this is more of a sharpness (F40 vs aperature (f2.8). Looking at my shots they are all over the place from f2.8 to f5.6 some even higher depending on what effect I was trying to achieve. I appreciate all the feedback, was hoping to hear some other opinions on how they made their decision.

328somewhere
THREAD ­ STARTER
636 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 11, 2010 14:09 |  #7

weather sealing is also one of the major reasons to upgrade.

Old git thats not really a true statement. Ask simon cudby your fellow countrymen if he uses IS on that big 300mm f2.8 IS he carries around? He will tell you the same thing he told me "yes". Some of those evening supercross shots would be all but impossible without IS regardless of what ISO you have. You may not believe in IS which is your opinion but why fight technology. Embrace it and use it to your advantage. In those awkward positioned shots where your standing at a funny angle where it makes it hard to have a steady base it will help you get the shot if your a little off.

MMX
418 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 12, 2010 01:31 |  #8

If you buy f/2.8 you can use it with f/4. If you buy f/4 you can´t use it with f/2.8. So if you think that you might need f/2.8, pay the extra money and buy it, the worst thing can happen is that you won´t need it (fortunately the difference is much smaller than between 300 f/4 and 300 f/2.8 or similar super telephotos).
The second question is IS - I say yes, BUT use it together with monopod. I don´t shoot motocross, but when shooting MotoGP or something similar, I always use monopod, lens with vertical IS activated (it stabilizes the vertical movement but not the horizontal) and panning. And result? Perfectly exposed razor sharp photos with 500mm (35mm equiv.) focal length, 1/100s exposure, ISO 100 and f/18. Here is one example:

IMAGE: http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs49/f/2009/227/4/6/MotoGP_2009___01_by_M_M_X.jpg

Canon EOS 40D, Canon EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS, Canon EF 50 f/1.4, Sigma 120-400 f/4.5-5.6 OS, Canon Speedlite 580EX II
Manfrotto 055 XPROB + Manfrotto 322RC2, Manfrotto 679B + Manfrotto 234

328somewhere
THREAD ­ STARTER
636 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 12, 2010 05:05 |  #9

Thank you MMX. Thats the kind of opinion I want to hear.

50$Pit
35 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 17, 2010 16:06 |  #10

2.8 for sure.

Canon 1D Mark IIN - Canon 70-200 f/2.8l IS USM - Canon 580EXII - Manfrotto 055XPROB

-jamie-
115 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Mar 18, 2010 17:23 |  #11

I agree with the idea , that if you have a f/2.8 , you can use f/4 . But if you have an f/4 you obviously cant use f/2.8 .

Jamie Morris Photo Canon EOS 1d MKIII /Canon EOS 1d MKII N x2/ / 7d / 30d/300mm 2.8L100-400 L/70-200 f2.8 L/50mm 1.8/Sigma 12-24 2.8/30-80/18-55 USM/430 EX Flash/Kenko Pro300 DGX 1.4X & 2x

jamiemorrisphotography​.com (external link)

328somewhere
THREAD ­ STARTER
636 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 18, 2010 20:20 |  #12

As soon as i get my 1dmkII sold I am going to buy a f2.8 IS version. Why even take a chance of needing it and not having it.

judymac
29 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 22, 2010 01:13 as a reply to  @ 328somewhere's post |  #13

I shoot a lot of speedway and i find the is interferes with my sharpness when panning so i turn the is off

Michael15
399 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 25, 2010 07:54 as a reply to  @ judymac's post |  #14

f2.8! Also gives you the flexibility to use the 1.4x if neeeded.

My Flickr (external link)

328somewhere
THREAD ­ STARTER
636 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 29, 2010 17:52 |  #15

Purchased the f2.8 IS version from a member on here. Took it out of the box on the way to the drag strip. What I can say is it performs fairly well but it was front focusing. A quick focal test and it seems it was off by quite a bit. Plus 13 on the micro adjust. Took some real world shots today and I am pleased. No more front focusing and i must say taking pics of passing cars doing 55 mph with IS mode two is pretty impressive. With IS vs non-IS pics were either pretty close or the non-is shots were way off (my fault). I am hoping there is a local motocross race this weekend to put it through its paces or maybe even go back to the drag strip.

Most hilarious part of the weekend was seeing the track photographer's look when he noticed me shooting from the other side of the fence with my 1dmk3 and this lens. Classic WTF is he doing here? Not long after that a nice track official decided to inquire if I was selling pictures. To which my reply was "No I'm here just taking some pictures for myself." Never had this problem with my sigma or f4l. I felt very strange after that.

sponsored links

3,499 views & 0 likes for this thread
Motocross lens choice 70-200 f2.8IS or F4 IS
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.