Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 12 Mar 2010 (Friday) 00:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Headshot critique

eeeksNYC
602 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 12, 2010 00:13 |  #1

Hey all...Shot my first batch of headshots today, and boy was it a doozy. We had about 15 minutes (or less) to do these. Both myself and the client are in radio, and he was due on air as a fill in. We had originally scheduled an hour or so to shoot...but oh well...

So I decided to go with natural light, as it was overcast, but fairly bright.

THe client still has to make his picks of the bunch...but I've posted this one up for C&C.

Please be brutal...I need the help.

thanks in advance all

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4001/4426692370_d24d066fa3_b.jpg

eeeksNYC (my blog (external link), my flickr (external link))
zeiss ikon icarex 35s,5D MK1/ EF 28-70 f2.8L / Sigma 50mm f1.4 / Sunpak 383s / Cybersyncs / and a couple bags of other stuff....http://www.flickr.com/​photos/29075737@N02/ (external link)

sponsored links
Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,620 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Mar 12, 2010 00:18 |  #2

its either a little close or the crop is too tight for me.

Its a tad hot on the nose and forehead.

WB is really yellow, makes him look sickly.

Year of Night - 365 Night Project - check it out! (external link)

Follow me into the night.
Unique Night Photography - twilightscapes.com (external link)

eeeksNYC
THREAD ­ STARTER
602 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 12, 2010 00:39 |  #3

Howz this?

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4058/4425969371_54c1986a92_b.jpg

zeiss ikon icarex 35s,5D MK1/ EF 28-70 f2.8L / Sigma 50mm f1.4 / Sunpak 383s / Cybersyncs / and a couple bags of other stuff....http://www.flickr.com/​photos/29075737@N02/ (external link)

deathcake
480 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 12, 2010 02:43 |  #4

The crop does seem too tight, very close to his chin and chopping off the top of his head. Do you have any shots where you're further away from him? Well done on fixing the hotspots! Focus is good, sharp eyes, and nice subtle background. Facial expression and angle are also nice.

Here are two edits for you, one just adjusting the white balance and adding tiny bit of contrast, and the other adding a bit more "pop".

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

[gear][recent work (external link)][flickr (external link)] Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst. - Henri Cartier-Bresson

Fenster
500 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 12, 2010 05:36 as a reply to  @ deathcake's post |  #5

The focus is on the brow. I like this image. It fits my own style (close crop w/ lots of bokeh), it has great light and to be honest I like the original version over any of the edits. But you focused on the brow, not the eyes. With an adult model and good lighting there really isn't any excuse for that; it is one of the perils of working with a wide prime.

Misadventures at 720nm (external link)

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,620 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Mar 12, 2010 09:05 |  #6

I think I like deathcake's first take at it. The WB is better, and the colors pop a little more. I do like this image, don't get me wrong... you asked for brutal, so I posted everything negative that I could muster ;-)a

Year of Night - 365 Night Project - check it out! (external link)

Follow me into the night.
Unique Night Photography - twilightscapes.com (external link)

eeeksNYC
THREAD ­ STARTER
602 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 12, 2010 10:59 |  #7

Thanks guys...really appreciate it...There are more, but the client hasn't approved the others yet.

I guess I had missed the focus on the brow. I was talking to him while shooting, cracking jokes and laughing at all the suits wondering what the eff we were doing.

As for the crop/closeness. I have seen a lot of them that I thought were a bit tight, but the clients seemed to really like that? Brett in this case actually wanted it this close. *shrug*

I'll post up some more when he clears which ones he's using. In like 15 minutes, we had about 45 shots to cull from...of those about 24 made it to the 2nd round...we'll see how many make it to the final cut.

williejr
746 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 12, 2010 23:30 |  #8

Do you use a wide angle lens for the shot? His nose looks a little long and face is a little distorted...

eeeksNYC
THREAD ­ STARTER
602 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 14, 2010 20:25 |  #9

Shot with a 28-70 2.8L at around 70mm...he has a very WIDE smile that makes his cheeks bulge out.

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 15, 2010 09:37 |  #10

The original image, and your edit, are both over exposed (the 2nd one is better for exposure). The 2nd photo is too orange.

Why did you choose a horizontal head shot? Most likely this photo would be used vertical and cropped tightly. You are far too close in on his head IMHO and your DOF is much too shallow.

But most importantly you need to do some work on white balance, your skin tones need much improvement.

eeeksNYC
THREAD ­ STARTER
602 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 15, 2010 14:19 |  #11

The client's request (among others) were for "vintage" processing and slightly different poses. We did shoot some safe, traditional vertical format, black and whites, and color.

This was one of the requested *experiments*

JRMott
75 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 15, 2010 18:10 |  #12

I don't like that his head it cut off & to me it appears the camera was too close to his face resulting in an over exaggerated nose. Good job editing the hot spots though.

www.jrmottphotography.​com (external link)
www.flickr.com/JRMott (external link)

jetboy
254 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 15, 2010 19:10 |  #13

I personnally like the short dof, but, depending on the type of headshot this is to be used for it might not be apropriate. If its for a portfolio, then the entire head should be mostly in focus imo. I also think the original is a bit hot, yellow, and don't really like the head chopped off. For artistic, its a good shot I think.

Canon XSi | Σ 30mm f/1.4 | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS | EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

a596639
27 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 16, 2010 13:00 |  #14

Personally I like to see the top of the head slightly cut off. But only for a few of the photos in the series, and not all of them, since this is the only one you have posted from that shoot, I'll assume the rest aren't like this... hopefully.

I really enjoy the pic but the WB is off a bit. I would try to post process the eyes to make them pop and slightly blur the eyebrows. The next time you shoot, try to use a white card to bounce light back into his face to take the shadows out of his eye pockets. Also, try to shoot with him lookup up at you, not too much or else it wont look natural. To me, he appears to be looking slightly down at you, which causes him to have the over exaggerated wide cheeks and also causes him to bring his chin down.

Those are the only tips I can give right now.

In the end, for your first batch... not bad.

:)

Canon 7D | Canon 70-200 f/4L | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Canon 50 1.4

eeeksNYC
THREAD ­ STARTER
602 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 16, 2010 14:36 |  #15

He was looking slightly down...I'm short..hahaha.

Got it about the WB issues. He's cleared a bunch of them...and hopefully I can post some of them up here too.

The reflector idea was what I was thinking, but I didn't have one at the time...and we were totally shooting *run n' gun* style...

As far as posing...I thought it was a more "masculine" pose to be shooting slightly below the subject for men...or is that kind of an outdated notion?

Thanks so much everyone for taking the time out with your comments/suggestions.

sponsored links

1,930 views & 0 likes for this thread
Headshot critique
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.