Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 11 Mar 2010 (Thursday) 20:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canadian Dollar on par w/ USD

mmahoney
Goldmember
2,789 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 12, 2010 06:33 |  #16

Got Turbo? wrote in post #9779819 (external link)
Not quite true. NAFTA only applies to goods made in North America. Buying Japanese cameras that are likely made in China means you pay duty along with GST/PST. Same goes for German/Japanese cars, or anything else...

This is my last time responding to this and suggest that anyone who needs accurate information on taxes on imported goods refer to Revenue Canada.

But let me repeat .. there is no duty for Canadians importing cameras purchased in the US.

And for those sleeping in the back row:
There is no duty for Canadians importing cameras purchased in the US.

Newfoundland Wedding Photographer (external link)

sponsored links
mmahoney
Goldmember
2,789 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 12, 2010 06:37 |  #17

bohdank wrote in post #9778747 (external link)
mmahoney..... damn, I just checked and you are right, in Newfoundland you will get whacked the extra 8% (PST). I feel for you.

Yes .. I heard it is a reciprocal PST collection agreement we have in place with other provinces.

I once asked an Ontario retailer for a reference on their authority to collect out of province taxes and they could not give me one. But they all do it .. :rolleyes:

Newfoundland Wedding Photographer (external link)

Mhappy
356 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 12, 2010 07:08 as a reply to  @ mmahoney's post |  #18

This is an interesting read! And couldn't have come at a better time for me!! 2 weeks until my passport should be here!!!!!!! I think I'm going to go to Henry's today to price some things that I'm interested in and see how much of a price difference the U.S. is! AND..... According to the manager at Henry's; Canadian businesses can't order Alien Bees?!?! :eek: I'm dying to try them out!! I hear nothing be good things about them!!

50D / XT (backup) / 17-85mm / 24-70mm f/2.8 L / 50mm f/1.8 / 2- 430 EX Speedlite and a Fonger (I know most photogs hate it, but I like it!) / Everything else I use... I rent! ;-)a

PhotoPrice
180 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 12, 2010 07:55 |  #19

mmahoney wrote in post #9780877 (external link)
Yes .. I heard it is a reciprocal PST collection agreement we have in place with other provinces.

I once asked an Ontario retailer for a reference on their authority to collect out of province taxes and they could not give me one. But they all do it .. :rolleyes:

Actually, the reason why you're charged the PST-portion even when purchasing out of province is because of the HST.

Essentially, all out-of-province merchants are required by law to charge the GST, or HST if the province is an HST province. So there is no out-of-province loophole for any province with HST.

What this also means is that starting July 1st with the new HST, Ontario residents won't be able to save the 8% they're currently saving by ordering from Quebec (Simon's), Alberta (The Camera Store or McBain's), or BC (Broadway). An unfortunate hidden cost of HST!

yanagapa
109 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 12, 2010 09:07 as a reply to  @ PhotoPrice's post |  #20

As many previous posters have said, there are no duties charged on photographic equipment that are imported into Canada. If the package is stopped by CRA you pay both GST and PST on the declared value for personal purchases and GST only for business purchases (which then you can claim back in your corporate return).

I've purchased a few items where I didn't get charged any taxes. If you do purchase from outside Canada, make sure to select an Air option for shipping, like UPS worldwide saver, or express, although these fees will be higher than regular gound service, you won't pay brokerage fees which start at $29 + ??.?? per $100 value.

I also love photoprice.ca, its mostly quite accurate and really shows who has the best price including shipping and exchange rate.

Canon XSi | Sigma 18-50/2.8 ex | ef 100/2.8 Macro| ef-s 55-250 IS| 430exII |
www.italiancatering.ca (external link)

yanagapa
109 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 12, 2010 09:17 as a reply to  @ yanagapa's post |  #21

I'm also quite curious as to why people complain about paying tax on shipments? When you go into a store here, the price is the price, plus GST and PST.

So when shopping around, add the tax to both the purchase from here and for the purchase from the States and if you can save some cash, its a bonus.

I just bought a 2 light umbrella kit from B&H for $150 less than I can get from any retailer in canada including tax of course.

Canon XSi | Sigma 18-50/2.8 ex | ef 100/2.8 Macro| ef-s 55-250 IS| 430exII |
www.italiancatering.ca (external link)

Cam101
614 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 13, 2010 12:43 |  #22

I don't see why some people seem to get so defensive when this topic comes up.

Truth of the matter is that US stores like B&H will almost always be cheaper than the Canadian companies, even if and when you pay taxes when it comes into the country.

Some people (myself included) like to support Canadian companies, but when it somes down to saving a few hundred dollars, the answer is pretty clear.

I just picked up a 100mm f/2.8L Macro, an extra battery for my 5D2, and a few other little things from B&H and still came out paying less than if I had bought the same lens locally without any of the extras... substantially less.

Canon 5D MkIV | 600EX-RT
Canon Lenses: 16-35 f/4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS | 100-400mm f/4-5.6L IS II | 100mm f/2.8L Macro | MP-E 65mm Macro
Gitzo GT3541LS w/ RRS BH55

spirith
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 13, 2010 22:06 |  #23

FYI - nobody has mentioned The Camera Store in Calgary, Alberta. A 7D is going for $1847.11. Saneal has it for $1839.99 but watch their return policy (credit only). There is only GST in Alberta.
I have also ordered up from B&H. Sometimes you get broker fees, and sometimes not. I figure it's worth while to go for a nice vacation to New York........

sponsored links

1,255 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canadian Dollar on par w/ USD
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.