Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 Mar 2010 (Sunday) 00:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L Price

Merlyn3D
122 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 14, 2010 00:02 |  #1

Just a sanity check for me really, but is $970 shipped reasonable for this lens with a B+W UV filter included? Date code is UU and lens is used, but has all the box contents. Thanks in advance!

sponsored links
mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 14, 2010 00:03 |  #2

Good price.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

Merlyn3D
THREAD ­ STARTER
122 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 14, 2010 00:04 |  #3

mikekelley wrote in post #9792311 (external link)
Good price.

Is it worth stretching one's budget this one time? If I get this, I"ll have to sell my kit lens and the newly bought 28-135mm lens to help pay for it, but everyone has great things to say about this lens.

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 14, 2010 00:05 |  #4

If it's in great condition, I'd say go for it, but I'm going to have to recommend a 17-55 over the 24-70 for a T2i. Many people find that a much more useful range on a crop body.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

Merlyn3D
THREAD ­ STARTER
122 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 14, 2010 00:06 |  #5

mikekelley wrote in post #9792321 (external link)
If it's in great condition, I'd say go for it, but I'm going to have to recommend a 17-55 over the 24-70 for a T2i. Many people find that a much more useful range on a crop body.

Ah....so I guess it's not really a "don't let this deal go" kind of price :)

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 14, 2010 00:35 |  #6

It depends...do you know if it's in tip-top shape ?. If it needs any adjustment you're going to pay more for calibration around $250.

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

mikeassk
Goldmember
2,329 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 14, 2010 00:40 |  #7

I got mine for 900$ so its not a nutty deal. Deals come and go, just be patient and buy what you want.

Stuff

Vascilli
Goldmember
1,474 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 14, 2010 00:51 |  #8

Merlyn3D wrote in post #9792315 (external link)
Is it worth stretching one's budget this one time? If I get this, I"ll have to sell my kit lens and the newly bought 28-135mm lens to help pay for it, but everyone has great things to say about this lens.

Once you get it there's no need for either lens. Go for it.

Flickr (external link) | Gear List

Merlyn3D
THREAD ­ STARTER
122 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 14, 2010 01:16 |  #9

maverick678 wrote in post #9792454 (external link)
It depends...do you know if it's in tip-top shape ?. If it needs any adjustment you're going to pay more for calibration around $250.

The listing says it's in mint condition, but I dunno. Plus I just received my 28-135mm IS USM today. It's so tempting.

@mikeassk, $900? That's pretty slick? Did you get that on the forums?

@vascilli, won't miss the 17mm of the kit or the 135mm of the latter lens? I have a T2i, which is a 1.6x crop.

Vascilli
Goldmember
1,474 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 14, 2010 04:22 |  #10

Depends on your shooting style. The image quality will blow the other lenses away, though.

Flickr (external link) | Gear List

robert61
236 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 14, 2010 08:02 |  #11

Good price, especially with a B&W UV filter. Its a top lens for photojournalists. Nice piece of glass.

Canon gear, Einstein lights, modifiers

Jebus
41 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 14, 2010 08:33 |  #12

They just about always sell for around $1100 on this forum, and it usually doesn't take long at all for someone to snap them up at that price.

I'd say go for it if you are happy with the focal range (38-112mm on crop).

Leather Camera Straps - http://leathercamerast​raps.etsy.com/ (external link)

Goodlistener
109 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 14, 2010 09:08 |  #13

Merlyn, you mentioned that you would need to sell a newly arrived lens in order to finance the 24-75. That seems kind of painful to me. You should at least consider getting the Tamron competitor to Cannon's 24-75 which is the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. It runs around $460 and comes with a six year warranty and a lens hood.

Naturally, you may wonder if the image quality of a + $1,000 lens is as good as a $460 lens. The short answer is: "equal or slightly better". It has to make you wonder doesn't it? I have a nice sample photo of what the Tamron 28-75 can do and the sample photo in turn has a link to a lens review technical article. Look here if you get a moment.

http://www.pbase.com/g​oodlistener/image/1195​98300 (external link)

Good luck and keep on shooting.

Rebel_XT_Newbie
166 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 14, 2010 09:36 |  #14

The difference in the Tamaron vs. Canon is not so much the quality it produces. It has everything to do w/ the Tamaron can't focus near as fast. I have used both. In addition, the Canon is much better build quality but heavier.

The 24-70 Is an amazing lens. If you are wanting something wider than the 17-55 is probably better for you. However, I used to use the 24-70 on my Rebel and still loved the pictures it produced.

As people hasve stated you can sometimes land a deal, and anything under 1000 bucks IMO would be a deal. And if you have to sell your other lens to justify the cost of this lens you are losing nothing. The kit lens is not that good and the 28-135 is not really an indoor lens. Good luck w/ whatever you decide.

sponsored links

2,886 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L Price
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.