Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
Thread started 12 Mar 2010 (Friday) 04:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Thruxton help

UK_Tomcat_Fan
Goldmember
1,343 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2007

Mar 12, 2010 04:39 |  #1

Hi Guys

I have booked tickets to go to the BTCC thruxton event

My next question is where would be the best area to be for photos and has anyone got any examples of each part on the course?

I have never been to thruxton and would appreciate some pointers

Regards

Martin

Martin | GearList | Website: My photography (external link)
POTN Resident Jolly Roger / Super bug hater!

sponsored links
Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 12, 2010 05:03 |  #2

Martin,

My local track, supposedly one of, if not the fastest in the country.

There is a vast swathe of the track out of bounds, but of the area where access is possible the two chicanes are popular. Just before the start/finish short straight is a very tight chicane where last second "do or die" stupidity can offer good photo opportunities. My own preference is The Complex", which is a more open chicane, with maybe the opportunity for walking through a small gateway and shooting over the safety fencing as cars/bikes exit the last of what is a left/right/left sequence of corners. Bikes often lift their front wheels here from the brute force acceleration.

I say maybe because when I was last there they were preventing access to this prime photograhy spot but I was told that it was a temporary measure.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 12, 2010 08:58 as a reply to  @ Lowner's post |  #3

Heres a rough and ready idea of what I mean.

HOSTED PHOTO

Richard

UK_Tomcat_Fan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,343 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2007

Mar 12, 2010 13:01 |  #4

will post the resulting shots :)

Martin | GearList | Website: My photography (external link)
POTN Resident Jolly Roger / Super bug hater!

mrklaw
678 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 14, 2010 06:07 as a reply to  @ UK_Tomcat_Fan's post |  #5

if you go for the bottom area in that pic, get there early. Its a prime viewing spot for spectators too, and they turn up early, plant chairs and then wander off for breakfast.

no dear, it didn't cost much at all

my stuff

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 15, 2010 13:52 |  #6

mrklaw,

I recall the time before the safety fencing was put up, I used to kneel down, rested my elbows on the straw bale at the first of the corners at the complex. Anyone overcooking the corner would head straight for me. I also vividly remember a scrambles bike carving a chunk out of my leg when the rider lost control and carreered into the spectator area.

This present "Nanny know best", "must keep spectators away" has spoilt it for everyone. Every ticket still has the "motorsport is dangerous, you have been warned" diclaimer, so I really don't understand what the organisers are so worried about because the disclaimer gets them off the hook legally.

Richard

Richard ­ Brewer
195 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 15, 2010 15:26 |  #7

From memory (haven't been there for a couple of years) the inside of the last chicane, the upper arrow on the lower camera in the map above is out of bounds to non press pass holders.
The area marked "my favourite" is very good especially with a long lens since the public viewing area is on sloped grass bank. Hope you have a good day.

Canon 7D and 30D with grips
Canon IS 100-400L
Canon EF-S17-85 IS
Speedlite flash and Alpinestars vest
www.rbmotorsportphotog​raphy.com (external link)

mrklaw
678 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 15, 2010 17:55 as a reply to  @ Richard Brewer's post |  #8

looked back at my trip and it was 2006, so its been a while. But I remember having access there on the grassy bank just inside the entrance, to the left of the grandstand.

couple of shots of the chicane to show how it was - so has this now been ruined with safety fencing?

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2700/4436745030_7657eb294e.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4050/4436735482_872b5feaf0.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …2/sizes/l/in/ph​otostream/  (external link)

no dear, it didn't cost much at all

my stuff

sponsored links

1,075 views & 0 likes for this thread
Thruxton help
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.