Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 23 Feb 2010 (Tuesday) 01:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flash Triggering Question

Suddie1215
115 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 23, 2010 01:12 |  #1

On a camera with both a hotshoe and a PC terminal; is it possible to fire a hotshoe-mounted flash, and trigger a trasmitter like a Cybersync connected to the PC terminal simultaneously?

Or another permutation, is it possible to sync multiple flashes via the PC terminal and fire a hotshoe-mounted flash at the same time?

Thanks for your insight.

sponsored links
ntc3
48 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 23, 2010 03:18 |  #2

I don't have cybersyncs, but I know you can do this with pocketwizards (they show this in their manual). I've done this with a 580ex on camera hotshoe and a pocketwizard plusii connnected to the pc sync port.

stateman
192 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 16, 2010 12:55 as a reply to  @ ntc3's post |  #3

Bump...

Kinda curious myself what I would need to trigger the Cybersync transmitter using the PC Terminal. Since the transmitter doesn't have any jacks on it (don't recall any but will check tonight), would I need a hotshoe adapter and then a particular cord to connect to the PC Terminal on the camera?

That way could keep a hotshoe flash in ETTL and have remote manual flash using the transmitter? Apologize if that sounds like a nonsensical request...but the question intrigued me for some reason.

6D - 35L II / 24-70 4.0 / 85 1.8 VC / 70-200 2.8 II

Big ­ Mike
Goldmember
1,023 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 16, 2010 13:27 |  #4

The CST(B) transmitter does have a 2.5mm sync jack.

Instructor at The Canadian Photography Learning Centre (external link).
Blog (external link)

psxindo
419 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 16, 2010 13:36 |  #5

if the transmitter have a sync port, then it is possible to use both the camera's pc sync port and hot shoe. I've been doing this using ebay trigger, v2 and ctr 301p.

if the transmitter doesn't have a sync port, you would need a hotshoe adapter with sync port.

5D mkIII | 5D mkII | 6D | EOS M | 16-35L | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8 IS mkII | EF-M 22 | 50 1.4 | 85L | 100 2.8 macro | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | 2x 580 ex II | 580 ex | 2x sunpak 383 | 134GB CF |
Wishlist | 14L | 24L | 35L | 50L | 100L macro | 135L | 15 2.8 FE | 17L 4 TS | 45 2.8 TS | 90 2.8 TS |

stateman
192 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 16, 2010 17:14 as a reply to  @ psxindo's post |  #6

Thanks...I'll check my CST tonight...didn't remember a jack, but I'll check

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 16, 2010 18:11 |  #7

stateman wrote in post #9808161 (external link)
Bump...

Kinda curious myself what I would need to trigger the Cybersync transmitter using the PC Terminal. Since the transmitter doesn't have any jacks on it (don't recall any but will check tonight), would I need a hotshoe adapter and then a particular cord to connect to the PC Terminal on the camera?

That way could keep a hotshoe flash in ETTL and have remote manual flash using the transmitter? Apologize if that sounds like a nonsensical request...but the question intrigued me for some reason.

stateman wrote in post #9810038 (external link)
Thanks...I'll check my CST tonight...didn't remember a jack, but I'll check

Trust us, it's there.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My Gear

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,401 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 16, 2010 18:46 |  #8

The original Cybersync transmitter did not have a port on it.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

stateman
192 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 16, 2010 19:47 |  #9

Titus213 wrote in post #9810497 (external link)

I have the older one...and can now confirm that I do not have a port...but it appears a simple hotshoe adapter will get me there.

Thanks

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,401 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 16, 2010 20:26 |  #10

stateman wrote in post #9810888 (external link)
I have the older one...and can now confirm that I do not have a port...but it appears a simple hotshoe adapter will get me there.

Thanks

Yup, that should work.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Mar 16, 2010 21:03 |  #11

Suddie1215 wrote in post #9663430 (external link)
On a camera with both a hotshoe and a PC terminal; is it possible to fire a hotshoe-mounted flash, and trigger a trasmitter like a Cybersync connected to the PC terminal simultaneously?

Or another permutation, is it possible to sync multiple flashes via the PC terminal and fire a hotshoe-mounted flash at the same time?

Thanks for your insight.

If you figure out how to get the off-camera stuff triggered, you will find that you MUST have the on-camera flash unit set for MANUAL operation, and not ETTL. If you have the on-camera flash doing its normal ETTL thing, there will be some serious problems - either caused by the preflash or caused by the remote flashes blowing out the exposure calculated by the camera/flash in ETTL mode.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Mar 17, 2010 12:04 |  #12

SkipD wrote in post #9811387 (external link)
If you figure out how to get the off-camera stuff triggered, you will find that you MUST have the on-camera flash unit set for MANUAL operation, and not ETTL. If you have the on-camera flash doing its normal ETTL thing, there will be some serious problems - either caused by the preflash or caused by the remote flashes blowing out the exposure calculated by the camera/flash in ETTL mode.

E-TTL should work fine as long as the remote flashes as used for hair or background lighting, and not used to light the main subject. Since anything triggered via the PC port on the camera will only fire when the curtains are fully open, they will not affect the preflash reflected back to the camera to determine the E-TTL flash exposure.

...Leo

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 17, 2010 15:36 |  #13

Titus213 wrote in post #9810497 (external link)

I didn't know that!

My Gear

sponsored links

1,436 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flash Triggering Question
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.