Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Mar 2010 (Tuesday) 14:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1DsMk2 - I'm tempted.

Bradfordguy
941 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 16, 2010 16:26 as a reply to  @ post 9809607 |  #16

I just traded my 50D yesterday in on a 1DsII. I have no doubt that the 5D series have equal potential in IQ given both are FF but until you handle one of these beasts you can't understand. It took me back to my days of shooting with my trusty Nikon F2 with drive. There are less bells & whistles like MFA, Live view and a smaller LCD but I was willing to give that up for the advantages of top line autofocus and metering and the build quality isn't even a fair discussion. Any body that needs an accessory grip is going to be at a disadvantage. The 1DsII is now selling for @ $2K and when introduced sold for $9 GRAND!!!! Yeah, it's worth trying one, you can always sell it easily if you find it too much.

G10, 7D gripped, 17-55 2.8 IS , 70-200L 2.8 IS MKII, EF 85 1.8, 105 2.8 EX Sigma Macro, 1.4 TC , 580 EXII, 430 EX, ST-E2

sponsored links
MichaelBernard
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 16, 2010 16:40 |  #17
bannedPermanent ban

AdamLewis wrote in post #9809607 (external link)
Everything Ive heard about the 1Ds2 makes me think its one of the best cameras that Canon has put out.

Cause it is. A lot of folks that had the money to upgrade to the III didn't because it was thought to have more consistent focus than the III.

http://www.Michael-Bernard.com (external link)"I think that there will be people disappointed in any camera short of the one that summons the ghost of Ansel Adams to come and press the shutter button for them." -lazer-jock

David ­ S
559 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 16, 2010 16:51 as a reply to  @ post 9809607 |  #18

I bought the 1ds2 when it is was closer to $3k for a used one. For the prices you see them now, I would not hesitate on picking it up if you are okay with a bigger and heavier body. And I did choose this over a 5d2 and a 1d3.

You really don't hear bad things about the 1ds2 because it just works as advertised.

Leica M | Sony a7R | Fujfilm X-Pro 1
flickrexternal link

mikeassk
Goldmember
2,329 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 16, 2010 17:02 |  #19

With the exception of outer focus points/ build and sealing, the 5Dc or 5D2 is a much better choice.

Most people shoot with center point and almost everyone treats their cams like newborn babies so unless you NEED the extra features the 1DsII is getting dated.

Stuff

David ­ S
559 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 16, 2010 17:28 |  #20

People have different priorities. Sealing, 100% viewfinder, and AF were the biggest factors for me. Using sealed lenses with the 1ds2, I have not had to clean my sensor for dust particles for over a year.

Leica M | Sony a7R | Fujfilm X-Pro 1
flickrexternal link

00silvergt
"some dorky title"
3,309 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 16, 2010 17:32 |  #21

David S wrote in post #9810119 (external link)
People have different priorities. Sealing, 100% viewfinder, and AF were the biggest factors for me. Using sealed lenses with the 1ds2, I have not had to clean my sensor for dust particles for over a year.

About sensor cleaning, I can say the same about my 5d Mark II, but I do baby it, heck if I had the 1DS Mark x I would baby it too, that's a lot of money...anyway, I digress, yes, it is all about what is important to you, someone mentioned that the 1DS2 is "dated"...sure it is, There's a 1DS3 and possibly a fourth on the horizon, but that's just how these things go. If you have to have the newest all the time, one that's not dated, I guarantee you'd go broke, unless you have some nest egg or racket going on to the endless supply of loot.

"Ne nuntium necare"
"We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our traditions from
the spirits of our ancestors. You have our gratitude."
https://photography-on-the.net …rgt/newlogo.jpg​%5B/IMG%5D

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 16, 2010 17:38 |  #22

mikeassk wrote in post #9809970 (external link)
With the exception of outer focus points/ build and sealing, the 5Dc or 5D2 is a much better choice.

Most people shoot with center point and almost everyone treats their cams like newborn babies so unless you NEED the extra features the 1DsII is getting dated.

Most people dont look further, but how can you go past the QC on a Ds model, the 5d have had its mirror falling out for christ sake, and the 5d2 had its spots etc.. the ds - nada de nada. It was built for professional use, the 5 was not ( yes I know a lot of pros use it) but you cant compare them. Focus, metering, bracketing, PF, CF the list goes on.

Not too ramble but its the same in the case of the 7d - we wanna compare it to the d model, which only cost almost 5 times more... its not just functions, but QC.

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
14,647 posts
Gallery: 231 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 16, 2010 18:27 as a reply to  @ post 9809607 |  #23

Mine should be delivered this Thursday. :D

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 16, 2010 18:30 |  #24

mikeassk wrote in post #9809970 (external link)

"Dated"... hehe.

The screen sucks and I wish it wrote to the cards faster. That is about it. It is, in every way apart from size and price, a better camera than a 5D Classic. The high ISO is at least as good when you take filesize into account and better when you see that the 1DS2 will never produce banding in the shadows like a 5DC/II will.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

00silvergt
"some dorky title"
3,309 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 16, 2010 18:32 |  #25

navydoc wrote in post #9810403 (external link)
Mine should be delivered this Thursday. :D

Nice, HM3.

"Ne nuntium necare"
"We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our traditions from
the spirits of our ancestors. You have our gratitude."
https://photography-on-the.net …rgt/newlogo.jpg​%5B/IMG%5D

SR071
276 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 16, 2010 19:58 |  #26

Just buy one, if you don't like it you can always attach a 70-200 and use it as a big hammer to demolish...oooo...I dunno..... an apartment block. ;)

As Hoff said, downs are screen size and write times and I'd like to add that the buttons take a little to get used to for navigating menus etc. - but you'll get the hang of it pretty quick.

Matt *20D YAY! My first *real* digital camera. 5DIII 1Dx and 1Dx and 1DIV And all the heavy glass...Plus a flash or seven... :)

elader
Goldmember
2,374 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 16, 2010 20:23 |  #27

Just sold my 1dsmkII and bought a 1d mkIII. I also have a 5D - the two cams produce very similar images. The 1 series is amazing but I cannot for the life of me see ANYTHING on the 1dsmkII LCD. Also, the interface is just too much trouble. Finally, the thing that really made me sell it? The center AF point is frankly too slow for pitch black rooms with the 580EX assist beam. Accurate, yes, and in better light,the cam AF is amazing. But its too damn slow in the dark compared to the 5D (which essentially has one AF point).

If I wasnt shooting action in the dark, I never would have sold the 1dsmkII.

Eric
FJR1300 rider
5D mkIII and 1D MkIII

16-35L | 24-105L | 70-200L f/2.8IS | 85 f/1.8 / 50 f.1,4

cicopo
Goldmember
3,553 posts
Gallery: 242 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 16, 2010 20:49 |  #28

Well I still have my 1Ds2 and it's my go to body every time. I've owned & sold the 20D, the 40D, 5D, the 1Ds, one of my 1D2n's and the 5D2 I bought, and until I can afford the replacement for the 1Ds3 I suspect I'll still be shooting the 1Ds2. I know the 7D isn't going to bump it from the top of my list either, but hopefully it will be a decent body (the 7D) at R/C events with a long lens taking advantage of the crop factor.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

BiPolarBear
377 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 16, 2010 21:01 |  #29

A month ago I had thought the impending spring upgrade for my 20D (finally!) to a 7D was about as absolute a no brainer for me as humanly possible, but the more I research the 1Ds MkII, the more I'm drawn to it.
For "about" the same price of a new 7D (not quite, but ballparkish), a used 1Ds MkII would allow me to experience first hand:
- all that good stuff I keep hearing about the 1D bodies,
AND
- all that good stuff I keep hearing about the FF sensors.
All that in one camera.

And as mentioned before, if it doesn't fit me for whatever reason, I could most likely get out of it in 3 months (assuming I bought well) at a practically break even resale.
Given I'll still have my 20D should the 1.6X factor be wanted... I'm trying to see a downside (for me) to moving to a 1Ds MkII and I can't.
Now can somebody please agree with me before I start researching 1Ds Mk III and really get myself in trouble. :D
Greg

Best wide angle lens? Two steps backward. Look for the "ah-ha". - Ernst Haas

cicopo
Goldmember
3,553 posts
Gallery: 242 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 16, 2010 21:49 |  #30

There isn't a better body for the money than a 1Ds2 in Canon land. No comment in Nikon land because I don't know enough about it to make that judgement.
Re the better IQ of a 5D2 over a 1Ds2 please examine the photos here & tell me what it is that I can't see.

http://picasaweb.googl​e.com …key=Gv1sRgCLrLs​L7ttY6AtwE (external link)

They can be downloaded for a full examination using your own software.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

sponsored links

4,151 views & 0 likes for this thread
1DsMk2 - I'm tempted.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.