Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 Mar 2010 (Wednesday) 01:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New to the forum and new 7D on the way!

Ravage
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 17, 2010 01:42 |  #1

Hello all! I can't believe I've never seen this forum before, it's so awesome!

I own a Rebel (300D) since 2004, but the last couple years I've not touched the thing. Only hit 5k pictures on it also! Not enough.

Anyway I was in a camera store last week and had a look at the T2i and the 7D. I fell in love with the 7D and ordered it the PMI guys on ebay ;)

It will arrive next Monday along with a new tripod, a Sigma 10-20 and 16gb memory card. My Speedlite 430ex II arrived at the weekend!

I can't believe I'm so excited. :lol:

steve | flickr (external link) | Canon 7D

sponsored links
wmcy
674 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 17, 2010 02:02 |  #2

Congrats on your purchase. You have a right to be excited! Enjoy.

Canon 5D IV, Canon 24-105 II f/4L IS USM, Canon 35 f2 IS, Canon 100 f/2.8L IS, Godox 860 Kit

jm4ever
843 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 17, 2010 04:53 |  #3

Quite a jump from the 300, enjoy and congrats. Please remember to read your manual carefully to help you understand the new AF system in the 7D. If you want to get a jump on things you can download the manual and start reading now.
http://gdlp01.c-wss.com …002580/01/eos7d​-im-en.pdf (external link)

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,415 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 17, 2010 05:52 |  #4

jm4ever wrote in post #9813201 (external link)
Quite a jump from the 300, enjoy and congrats. Please remember to read your manual carefully to help you understand the new AF system in the 7D. If you want to get a jump on things you can download the manual and start reading now.
http://gdlp01.c-wss.com …002580/01/eos7d​-im-en.pdf (external link)

I've had my 7D for almost two weeks. I have to read up on the AF system myelf.

I cannot wait to really wring this camera out. I was saving for a 5D Mk II but this came along and I went with it instead. It's a lot different then the 40D it is replacing.

Thanks for the manual link, having it on the computer makes it more accessible, at least for me.

scroller52
964 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 17, 2010 08:57 |  #5

congrats! i just got mine last nite! coming from a 40D, i LOVE LOVE LOVE IT
i've used it a few times from my brother and the controls are very similar.

make sure u watch the 2 hours of vide on the 7d bhphoto thread

Canon EOS 5D3 | Canon 24mm 1.4L mkII | Canon 85mm 1.2L mkI | Canon 40mm 2.8
my flickr (external link)
my picasa (external link)

vitacura
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 17, 2010 09:25 |  #6

Welcome and Congrats on your camera!

Gear & Feedback

yourdoinitwrong
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 17, 2010 09:29 as a reply to  @ scroller52's post |  #7

I went from a 50D to the 7D and I was pretty excited so I can imagine how much fun it will be to upgrade from a Rebel. A lot of people will tell you to read up on the AF system and that is good advice. It's not difficult to grasp, just a little different that what Canon has done before and certainly a step up from the xxxD and xxD bodies. Once you get the hang of what it is capable of doing you will enjoy the camera even more. I have had mine for a few months and I still find myself taking shots of random things just to be able to use the camera more often. If you come up with questions there are a lot of threads about the 7D and a Sticky in the "Canon EOS Digital Cameras" section that will provide a lot of helpful info.

5D4 w/BG-E20, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, Sigma 50 f/1.4
Full List

Ravage
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 17, 2010 10:20 as a reply to  @ yourdoinitwrong's post |  #8

Thanks for the awesome comments! Looks like I made a good choice :p

I started watching the BHPhoto videos last night. Real interesting. I remember reading about the custom functions before on the xxD's, there are so many, I'm sure it will take me a while to grasp.

The auto-focusing system looks really nice. Such an upgrade from the Rebel. I heard some people have had a ton of trouble with the auto focusing, but once they hit spot focusing it appears a lot better. Either way I'm going to take 1000 pictures to figure out this camera and have fun the whole way :-)

steve | flickr (external link) | Canon 7D

yourdoinitwrong
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 17, 2010 10:44 as a reply to  @ Ravage's post |  #9

Many of the "user error" issues with the 7D came from people using Spot or Single Point on the AF system for moving subjects. In several of the cases I recall (and my own experience) using Point Expansion mode took care of the problem. Zone AF works too, but for me it is too large if I'm trying to focus on just one player. Just remember to try out all the different modes so you can see what's best for you.

5D4 w/BG-E20, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, Sigma 50 f/1.4
Full List

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,091 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 17, 2010 10:51 |  #10

Congrats. I've been shooting Canon's for years and the 7D is a beautiful choice. My newest camera. You'll love it. Welcome to our little niche and enjoy the ride. Go out and shoot some duck pictures and post them when it comes.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

sponsored links

1,245 views & 0 likes for this thread
New to the forum and new 7D on the way!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.