Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 18 Mar 2010 (Thursday) 12:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

[MUST SEE] BucketMan Karma Fund

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 18, 2010 12:40 |  #1

UPDATE:
We did it. In less than 24 hours we raised enough to not only replace Bucktman's lens, but to upgrade it to the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II.

Adorama was very generous and gave us an amazing deal on the lens ($2200 out the door with some other goodies and next-day air shipping), I can't thank them enough. Helen Oster was awesome and got things rolling in no time flat.

I've closed down the ChipIn page. I don't want to be resonsible for any more money! :lol:

If you didn't get a chance to give this time around, I would suggest looking around in your own community for chances to give and/or volunteer. You really can make a difference, and I can't even begin to explain how good it makes you feel.

Thank you all very much.

Here is your chance to earn your brownie points for the day!

For those that do not know the story, BucketMan is a POTN member that recently found out that a 70-200 f/2.8 IS he purchased last year off of Craig's List was stolen. Long story short, he just found out that he had to return the lens and is out for the money that he spent on it.

Here is the thread:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=839212

Here is the relevant conclusion:
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9816455#p​ost9816455

Many POTN members stepped up in the thread and offered to send BucketMan some money to help get a new 70-200 f/2.8 IS. I can say with pretty good certainty that he will not accept anyone's money, I know a lot of people like him. For this reason, I decided to take it upon myself to set up a Karma Fund that POTN members can donate to to help buy a new lens that we can send to him.

I have also been in contact with Adorama to see if they would be willing to cut us a good deal on a 70-200 f/2.8 IS. I'm still waiting to hear back, but I want to get the fund rolling and see just how much we'll have to offer.

I have set up a fund that people can use PayPal to contribute to the fund. I have chosen to use www.chipin.com (external link) for this because it is free and allows you to set a goal. This goal will show everyone exactly how much has been donated and how much more may be needed.

The donations will go to my PayPal account. I know that I am asking a lot of people to trust me on this. I am not going to profit in any way on this. This is the only way I can see to make this work.

In order to help put people's minds at ease, I will do a little FAQ here.

Who I am:
My name is Derek Cecil and I live at 522 E Center St in Madison, SD, USA.

Why I am doing this:

Because I think it is the right thing to do. Just like BucketMan, my wife and I recently had a baby and I know how tight money is right now.

Can you trust me:
All I can do is give you my word that I will do nothing other than spend you money for what I am stating here.

What I am contributing:
I plan on making about a $50 contribution, but it won't be through the ChipIn page. Paypal fees will be pulled out of your contributions. Because of this, we will actually be about 3% short of the stated ChipIn goal. 3% of $1800 is $54. I will cover that shortfall when I buy the lens.

Where I am getting the lens from:

I have talked to Helen Oster at Adorama and she is seeing if there is any way that Adorama can help us out on this. Hopefully they will be able to cut us a deal on the lens. If they cannot, I will likely try to talk to B&H as well.

What happens if we don't raise nearly enough to buy BucketMan a new lens:
If we don't get enough, I plan on sending the money directly to BucketMan to help him defray the cost of buying a lens for himself.

What happens if we raise too much:

I have set the goal at $1800. If we get that much and we are able to get a better deal on the lens, I will take some input and get BucketMan some accessories with the remaining cash. Anything additional left over I would like to donate to a firefighter relief acency (BucketMan is a firefighter).

What if you do not have a PayPal account:
If you would like to mail me a check or money order to add to the fund, send me an email at: erek@cecilphoto.com (external link). I am able to change the target number at the ChipIn page and will lower it by your donation amount after I get the check.

You can also pay by credit card through PayPal, without having to set up a PayPal account.

Again, can you trust me:
The only thing I can offer is my honor. I hope that you will trust me and we can do a great thing for a great person. If you need further assurance, email me and I can give you my phone number.

If there is anything I did not touch on here, please let me know. I am trying to be as transparent as possible with this.

Where to donate:

http://karmafund.chipi​n.com/the-bucketman-karma-fund (external link)

Please note that the meter uses a flash player and doesn't seem to update well with Firefox and possibly some other browsers. It works great with IE and Opera.

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9903477#p​ost9903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

sponsored links
TaDa
...as cool as Perry
6,742 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 18, 2010 12:53 |  #2

Can a mod please sticky this?

Name is Peter and here is my gear:
Canon 5D II, Canon 7D, Canon 40D
Glass - Zeiss 21 f/2.8 ZE, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 40 f/2.8 STM, Canon 24-70 f/2.8
L, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 500 f/4L IS
Speedlite 580ex II, 430ex - Gitzo GT-3541XLS w/ Arca B1

DDCSD
THREAD ­ STARTER
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 18, 2010 13:14 |  #3

Wow, you guys are awesome! $60 in the matter of 10 minutes! What a great start.

I've gotten a number of PM's. I'm posting from my phone right now and I cannot answer PM's for some reason. I will get back to you in about 5 hours when I'm back home.

Thanks again, everyone!

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9903477#p​ost9903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

daveyboi
652 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 18, 2010 14:21 |  #4

donation sent

5D Mark II // 17-40L SOLD:cry: // 24-70L // 70-200 F/2.8 IS II L SOLD:cry: // 50 f/1.8
Instagram: the_davebot
Welcoming myself back to photography

EdZep
239 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 18, 2010 14:22 as a reply to  @ DDCSD's post |  #5

I'll pitch in a few dollars.

Regarding your honor on this project -- you do have some positive feedback for lens sales on the forum; for some, that may be better than nothing.

vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
43,914 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Mar 18, 2010 14:39 |  #6

Done! Good people deserve good things to happen to them.

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

tomd
Cream of the Crop
13,253 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 18, 2010 14:44 |  #7

Derek, thanks for doing this. I pitched in.

=======>>> play W.A.I.N. :D

deadpool
112 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 18, 2010 14:51 as a reply to  @ tomd's post |  #8

sent. i hope everything works out.

int2str
Goldmember
1,881 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 18, 2010 14:53 |  #9

Money sent!

Looks like the chip-in counter isn't updating in real-time. Wonder how far we are now? :)

gkuenning
Goldmember
1,470 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 18, 2010 15:00 |  #10

We're over 15% in just 2 hours!

BTW, if we collect over the top, my vote is to get him a Mark II. Wouldn't that be just sweet?

Geoff
All I want is a 10-2000 f/0.5L with no distortion that weighs 100 grams, fits in my pocket, and costs $300. Is that too much to ask?

conbu19
565 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 18, 2010 15:02 |  #11

Derek..don't worry about my PM..I've thrown something into the pot already. Thanks for taking the responsibility for this, I appreciate it and I'm sure BucketMan will too. Take care, Steve B.

Cebu
111 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 18, 2010 15:02 as a reply to  @ tomd's post |  #12

Sent mine in.

Derek, Thank you for doing this.

Thanks to ALL who participated.

BTW, with an email / PP address like you have, I trust you.

God Bless you all.

Big Smile

silliboi
186 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 18, 2010 15:03 |  #13

whats the paypal addy? I do not see it to chip in

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,808 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 18, 2010 15:11 |  #14

silliboi wrote in post #9823300 (external link)
whats the paypal addy? I do not see it to chip in

You use this: http://karmafund.chipi​n.com/the-bucketman-karma-fund (external link)

Then click Chip In in the upper right.

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback| My Pbase Galleryexternal link | mdsportsphoto.comexternal linkhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=835433

katodog
Goldmember
4,063 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 18, 2010 15:12 |  #15

Just chipped in. Pretty cool thing you're doing Derek, you definitely get your Brownie points for the year.

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked - Photographers shoot to thrill, not to kill
My Gear- Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Smoke Photography - - Sound-Activated Paint

sponsored links

22,929 views & 0 likes for this thread
[MUST SEE] BucketMan Karma Fund
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.