Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 10 Mar 2010 (Wednesday) 09:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Karma and my beloved 70-200

zelseman
Goldmember
1,922 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 19, 2010 01:33 |  #451

This is a great thread, I have been following it from day 1. Reminds me a lot of the guy on a Canadian car forum that had his Nissan Skyline stolen and the forum members banded together to catch the guy who did it.
Here it is: http://forums.beyond.c​a …0&highlight=&pa​genumber=1 (external link)

Good luck with the new lens. Hopes all is well!

Gear List
Website (external link)/Blog (external link)

sponsored links
deadpool
112 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 19, 2010 01:39 as a reply to  @ zelseman's post |  #452

YES! POTN FTW.

1800 in 12 hours? no problem.

BucketMan
THREAD ­ STARTER
936 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 19, 2010 01:45 as a reply to  @ post 9826687 |  #453

Just got back in the station and I had to check this thread before I went to bed.

Folks, I have tears in my eyes, literally. If one of the guys walks in here I will blame it on the smoke from the fire we just had, but you all know what it is really from.

Honestly, I can't even think straight. Not because im tired....I guess overwhelmed would be the only word to come close to what I am feeling. To see that the funds are there to buy a brand new lens is simply breath taking.

If possible, I would like to make a suggestion. The lens I had stolen was a 1st generation 2.8, the funds are there to replace that. I would like to suggest that any further donation be made to POTN as this is what truly made everything possible. The firefighters fund was a great idea, but honestly I would like to see some support go to the folk's that make the forums here possible.

People had requested my PayPal address earlier and I kept it as I just didn't feel right doing that. Derek going above and beyond and setting this up and all of you donating is without question one of the most generous acts I have ever been witness to. Folks had made reference to me receiving this donation and the possibility of getting restitution. My lawyer...umm, err, I mean my FRIEND, wanyc is correct in stating I will make it right and pay it forward. I certainly hope nobody has to go through anything like this, so I would much rather it be in the form of a generous donation to keep the site running.

Once I had seen the account set up and quickly the funds totaled I thought about completely dropping the thought of pressing charges and seeking any restitution against this kid. But as others mentioned, its just not right that he get away with it. I am going to speak with the police and get the wheels turning. As others have mentioned this could go anywhere from getting my $1000 (added shipping) to him doing jail time. The $1000 could come in the form of garnished wages and me getting a small amount of money each month, only time will tell, but a few others have shared horrible experiences of their own in which they are still owed.

Well, I am exhausted. I will sleep well tonight, not from being tired, but knowing there are good people in the WORLD.

Good night POTN'ers! :D

| 70D | 70-200LII | 580EXIIhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/%3Ca%20h​ref=
flickr (external link)

Muskydave22
Goldmember
1,716 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 19, 2010 01:48 |  #454

Its amazing what great people will do when they come together! This is one of the most generous things I have ever seen in my short 18 year old life. Enjoy the new lens, you deserve it!

Dave

Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

brecklundin
Goldmember
2,179 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 19, 2010 01:51 |  #455

Muskydave22 wrote in post #9826777 (external link)
Its amazing what great people will do when they come together! This is one of the most generous things I have ever seen in my short 18 year old life. Enjoy the new lens, you deserve it!

Dave

This is what happens when people put themselves in the shoes of the other guy...

Real men shoot Pentax because we're born with our own Canon's!!
{Ok...ok, some of use just have a PnS but it it always makes me happy! :D}
Pentax K5, K20D, Three Amigos (Pentax FA 31/1.8 Limited Silver, Pentax FA 43/1.9 Limited Silver, Pentax FA 77/1.8 Limited Silver), Pentax DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited, Sigma 24-60/2.8

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Mar 19, 2010 02:04 |  #456
bannedPermanent ban

Dave

Dude, that guy at the end of Terminator Salvation gave the other dude his HEART! :p

Well done you guys.

Now... who's going to chip in for the "Buy Stealthy a 1DIV" fund? ;)

Otherwise I have to, you know, save and such... that's such a drag... :p

slitherjef
*burp*
1,714 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 19, 2010 02:05 |  #457

Just tossed in a small amount. :)

Gear / Twitter (external link) / flickr (external link) / Blog (external link)
I shot a Nikon once... it didnt make it :p

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 19, 2010 02:08 |  #458

Dave

It is amazing. I am personally rather strapped for cash, and I am sure I donated less than many folks, but I know every bit counts. I simply thought of it this way, what if I was the one who was losing a lens that I spend my hard earned money on? The feeling of total strangers who would give money to me when I am in trouble, is rather heart warming. With this in mind, I gave, as I am sure many many folks in this forum gave. If you look at how many folks go to this forum, we have on average 1000+ registered users on and 1000+ guests on. If everyone gave just $1 we would even be able to make it!

Bucketman > Rock on with the new lens and keep up the good work as a firefighter!

Stealthy > You bought a 70-200 f2.8 IS mark II already, no donation for you! :p

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

Jeromy
118 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 19, 2010 02:11 |  #459

just sent a small amount.

stuff happenss fast around here! last night when i checked this had not even started. check it tonight and money has allready been raised. great!!!

Jeromy

6D:cool:

David ­ S
559 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 19, 2010 02:29 |  #460

Enjoy the new lens. Definitely post some pics once you get it.

Leica M | Sony a7R | Fujfilm X-Pro 1
flickrexternal link

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Mar 19, 2010 02:32 |  #461
bannedPermanent ban

themadman wrote in post #9826835 (external link)
Stealthy > You bought a 70-200 f2.8 IS mark II already, no donation for you! :p

Ummm maybe it was stolen?! ;) :p

RetroBlader
863 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 19, 2010 02:42 |  #462

I can't believe this.

The thing was not even set up yet when I left for work earlier today:

RetroBlader wrote in post #9820970 (external link)
Anyway, I'll keep follow the thread and pitch in when it's set up. Whoever is doing it, please look into how non-US forum users can contribute as well.

When I got home just now (long day, what can I say), the total had already hit 100%.

I already had money set aside for this very worthy cause, so I was actually DISAPPOINTED that I don't get to part with my Sir Borden!

I decided to try putting my contribution through anyway. I was very glad to see that not only was I able to get through, I was Contributor #100! :mrgreen:

IMAGE: http://retroblader.smugmug.com/photos/813798051_GLFas-X3.gif

Since we are now past the $1800 mark, I motion that we move the target up towards a Mk II:

RetroBlader wrote in post #9820970 (external link)
Finally, BucketMan, hang in there! I applaud you for your integrity and you truly deserve to have some good karma coming back your way -- maybe in the form of a white, shot-gun-looking thing with a "Mk II" marked on it.

:-)

Derek, I think you mentioned that you can still change the target. Please do!

:-D

Above water: 7D | 400D | 10-22 | 17-55IS | 15-85IS | 85/1.8 | 100L IS | 70-200/4L IS | 70-300IS | 100-400L | 580EX II
Underwater: S95 + WP-DC38 + dual dive lights | Olympus OM-D E-M5 (await housing)
Full Gear List
Need/Want: More time for photography (And some talent would be nice.... :lol:)

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 19, 2010 02:47 |  #463
bannedPermanent ban

RetroBlader wrote in post #9826969 (external link)
Since we are now past the $1800 mark, I motion that we move the target up towards a Mk II:

Or donate the surplus to some charity?

But hey, if you want to buy him a mark II, all the power to ya. ;)

http://www.adorama.com​/CA702002ISU.html (external link)

RetroBlader
863 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 19, 2010 02:48 |  #464

Stealthy Ninja wrote in post #9826930 (external link)
Ummm maybe it was stolen?! ;) :p

Stolen by a "covert agent of feudal Japan specializing in unorthodox arts of war"?
:-P

(definition from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Ninja (external link))

Above water: 7D | 400D | 10-22 | 17-55IS | 15-85IS | 85/1.8 | 100L IS | 70-200/4L IS | 70-300IS | 100-400L | 580EX II
Underwater: S95 + WP-DC38 + dual dive lights | Olympus OM-D E-M5 (await housing)
Full Gear List
Need/Want: More time for photography (And some talent would be nice.... :lol:)

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 19, 2010 02:51 |  #465
bannedPermanent ban

RetroBlader wrote in post #9826980 (external link)
Stolen by a "covert agent of feudal Japan specializing in unorthodox arts of war"?
:-P

(definition from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Ninja (external link))

I had to return my lens to the emperor as it's needed as evidence in an investigation.... ;)

Just PM me your credit card details and I'll take it from there. :p

sponsored links

219,176 views & 0 likes for this thread
Karma and my beloved 70-200
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.