Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 22 Mar 2010 (Monday) 11:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

flashzebra = yongnuo?

scott0999
173 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 22, 2010 11:22 |  #1

I just received my "flashzebra OCF cable" and its a yongnuo. I wasnt expecting this. I was under the impression the flashzebra guy made his own cables.

I could of ordered this off ebay for cheaper :confused:

Canon SX10 IS | 430EX | Custom OCF Cable | Lensmate & Janco 58mm adapters | Raynox DCR-M250 | Hoya HD CIR-PL | Vanguard VS-82https://photography-on-the.net …php?t=836625&hi​ghlight=s2

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,821 posts
Gallery: 168 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 22, 2010 11:25 |  #2

He orders his cables from suppliers just like anyone else. I have his longer cable, the 24ft one, and its not YN. Although if you are in the US its doubtful you could have gotten one on ebay with the same turnaround time as from Flashzebra. Plus he will stand behind it if you have problems.

scott0999
THREAD ­ STARTER
173 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 22, 2010 11:39 |  #3

I got the 3' coiled one. if its a quality piece then I guess alright.

its just sad that he made no mention of this. in his pictures he strategically has the cord with the YONGNUO logo face down. and no mention of it anywhere in the description

I would just rather not have any YONG WANG CHUNG parts if possible

Canon SX10 IS | 430EX | Custom OCF Cable | Lensmate & Janco 58mm adapters | Raynox DCR-M250 | Hoya HD CIR-PL | Vanguard VS-82https://photography-on-the.net …php?t=836625&hi​ghlight=s2

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 22, 2010 11:43 |  #4

I guess you better return your camera then. It was made just down the road from this part. I have had the Yong TTL cord for a few years now. No sign of wear on it at all. If there were active electronics in the cord I could understand. But all it is made of is wire and contacts. Not much to go wrong.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,821 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 22, 2010 11:56 |  #5

scott0999 wrote in post #9847381 (external link)
I got the 3' coiled one. if its a quality piece then I guess alright.

its just sad that he made no mention of this. in his pictures he strategically has the cord with the YONGNUO logo face down. and no mention of it anywhere in the description

Enlighten me. Is that a particular company, or do you mean chinese products in general?

agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 22, 2010 12:07 |  #6

Mark1 wrote in post #9847408 (external link)
I guess you better return your camera then. It was made just down the road from this part. I have had the Yong TTL cord for a few years now. No sign of wear on it at all. If there were active electronics in the cord I could understand. But all it is made of is wire and contacts. Not much to go wrong.

You know I thought the same thing. I have been using "Off Shoe" cords from Canon and Paramount cords for around 10 years. I have modified several of my own Canon cords and never had a problem with any of them. I have several lighting setups that I thought would be nice just to keep a cheap cord in just in case I forgot one of my good cords so I bought 5 Yongnuo's off ebay a couple of months ago. Only 1 is still working. Three have completely died and one is intermitent. I have not had time to pull them apart and figure out whats wrong but there is a difference and you get what you pay for.

Rand

Gear

windpig
Chopped liver
15,035 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 22, 2010 12:11 |  #7

my yongnuo 3' chord came apart in my hand the first time I went to put a flash on it. Unreliable QC has soured me, especially when it comes to accessories that support expensive pieces of gear.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Hermes
Goldmember
2,375 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 22, 2010 12:12 |  #8

A good friend of mine has now had 3 Canon off-shoe cords die in 2 years. I use the Yonguo cords and battery packs and have never had an issue. Every manufacturer has its faults but the Canon cord is clearly overpriced. When you do finally open up the Yongnuo cords, you'll no doubt see that they're more or less identical to the Canons.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 22, 2010 12:22 |  #9

I have cords and packs from both Canon and YK. I have found no operational or quality differences that are worth mentioning. Cords are particularly susceptible to mishandling.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
15,035 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 22, 2010 12:37 |  #10

mileage may very, but seeing the flash mount end come apart was not fun. Having a 580EX II hit the ground would have sucked. I don't think the Canon chords are going to be any better.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

lefturn99
820 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 22, 2010 12:37 |  #11

scott0999 wrote in post #9847381 (external link)

Did you think they were made in Santa Barbara?

6D, 5D Mk III, 60D, EOS M, Gear List

scott0999
THREAD ­ STARTER
173 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 22, 2010 12:43 |  #12

lefturn99 wrote in post #9847798 (external link)
Did you think they were made in Santa Barbara?

well flashzebra seems to be in KY, but ya.. anywhere in the US.. would of been great

its SAD people assume everything is going to be made in China nowadays. you should be ashamed of yourself

I on the other hand would feel much more American having a non- YONG WANG CHUNG YUNG WONG cord

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 22, 2010 12:47 as a reply to  @ scott0999's post |  #13

FlashZebra is selling Yongnuo packs which are made in China. What I like about Lon and other US sellers with Chinese products is that if you have a problem you can now deal with someone in the US, get support and replacements, good communication and in English.

Having US support and service is important to me so I prefer not to deal with Hong Kong. When things go right it's a beautiful thing. When things don't go as they should then it takes forever to resolve the problem or get a replacement.

I have no problem with Chinese products. My problem is in dealing directly with China rather than the US.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

lefturn99
820 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 22, 2010 13:01 as a reply to  @ scott0999's post |  #14

So, buy a Canon cord. Pay 3X the price and guess what? It is made in China or some place where labor is cheap. I'm afraid you aren't being realistic. The world has changed.

Lon gives great service. The parts work and they are sold at a fair price. If you are expecting American Made, .............. do you want to make them for $2.00 per hour? I don't.

Problem is, you are attacking a guy who many of the peeps on this board think the world of. I doubt you are going to find much sympathy.

6D, 5D Mk III, 60D, EOS M, Gear List

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,821 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 22, 2010 13:09 |  #15

scott0999 wrote in post #9847843 (external link)
well flashzebra seems to be in KY, but ya.. anywhere in the US.. would of been great

its SAD people assume everything is going to be made in China nowadays. you should be ashamed of yourself

I on the other hand would feel much more American having a non- YONG WANG CHUNG YUNG WONG cord

Wow. I hope you realize canon is a Japanese company, thats more rightly described as an international conglomerate with suppliers from all over the world. To believe that you are more American because the parts from your camera accessories are made is America is astoundingly xenophobic.

sponsored links

3,176 views & 0 likes for this thread
flashzebra = yongnuo?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.