Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 22 Mar 2010 (Monday) 05:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

new to photography - painful pained decisions! help?!?

spartan_photo
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 22, 2010 05:27 |  #1

Hello Everyone! Thanks for reading! Bit long but thought some background is needed.

I'm new to digital photography, recently bought a used CANON 30D (8000 shots taken so pretty 'new' to me). Went out on the weekend and took some 200 snaps =D with the 50mm 1.8 prime that came with it and love the sharpness and speed of the lens but something is lacking, I'm STUMPED on what I should get for my primary walk around lens.

I'm going to Thialand in June and this is basically the instigator of my buying a DSLR, I like landscape/scenery shots and also want to be able to snap good pictures up and down the streets of Bangkok and Koh Samui.

I loathe bad quality (50mm 1.8 prime is the exception because it takes such great pictures) and originally thought the 18-55mm IS lens from Canon would be what i wanted for my wider needs... BUT I don't think I'll be happy. I am thinking about the 17-85mm but with all the 'haters' bagging out the lens because of its softness make me think otherwise!

Can someone please give me a hand! Thanks a lot in Advance.

Cail from Australia

sponsored links
troutfisher
Goldmember
1,664 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 22, 2010 05:39 |  #2

Have a look at the new sigma 17-70 with OS, the old one pre-OS was rated pretty well.
If you have a look in the lens archive there are a lot of shots.

Have a nice holiday

Chris
" Age and treachery will always defeat youth and enthusiasm"

spartan_photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 22, 2010 05:43 |  #3

troutfisher wrote in post #9845766 (external link)
Have a look at the new sigma 17-70 with OS, the old one pre-OS was rated pretty well.
If you have a look in the lens archive there are a lot of shots.

Have a nice holiday

thank you, I will have a look at the new 17-70 sigma, I wasn't aware that they had an OS version.

bajaiman
134 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 22, 2010 05:54 as a reply to  @ spartan_photo's post |  #4

If money is no object (which will cost you about AU$1250 ish) then I could whole heartedly recommend the Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS. I had this on my 40D and it was a real joy using it....the only reason I sold it because I upgraded to 5D2...

My Stuff

spartan_photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 22, 2010 06:22 |  #5

bajaiman wrote in post #9845800 (external link)
If money is no object (which will cost you about AU$1250 ish) then I could whole heartedly recommend the Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS. I had this on my 40D and it was a real joy using it....the only reason I sold it because I upgraded to 5D2...

Money is a bit of an object im afraid, although partly because I think I need to learn how to consistently take good shots with a lesser lens, composition, exposure etc before I lash out on a L or competing HQ lens.

At this stage my upper budget is for something used and $400 AU but hoping more around $300 with a lens that has a bit of focal range with a emphasis on wide but also some longer length to play with. I was considering something like:

Sigma 18-50mm 18-50 f/2.8 f2.8 EX
Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F2.8 Di II

but seems like there isn't such a large used market for these, which keeps me coming back to the Canon
18-55mm IS for its cheapness and relatively good reviews
or
17-85mm for its extra long focal length which should help me decide what sort of photography I really enjoy.

bajaiman
134 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 22, 2010 06:50 |  #6

Before I had the canon 17-55 f2.8 IS, I was using the Tamron 17-50 f2.8. I used this on my first trip to japan in 07 and the quite honestly to me bang for your buck lens. I had no real complain on the Tamron. The reason I got the Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS coz of the IS and the image on the Canon is sharper wide open compared to the Tamron. Oh...and the autofocus on the Canon 17-55 was and still is the fastest I've ever used even with my current lens collection. The Tamron's AF eventho was not as fast as the Canon's, it was fast enough (I reckon) to do almost all types of shots.

My Stuff

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 22, 2010 07:46 |  #7

spartan_photo wrote in post #9845859 (external link)
Money is a bit of an object im afraid, although partly because I think I need to learn how to consistently take good shots with a lesser lens, composition, exposure etc before I lash out on a L or competing HQ lens.

At this stage my upper budget is for something used and $400 AU but hoping more around $300 with a lens that has a bit of focal range with a emphasis on wide but also some longer length to play with. I was considering something like:

Sigma 18-50mm 18-50 f/2.8 f2.8 EX
Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F2.8 Di II

but seems like there isn't such a large used market for these, which keeps me coming back to the Canon
18-55mm IS for its cheapness and relatively good reviews
or
17-85mm for its extra long focal length which should help me decide what sort of photography I really enjoy.

there isn't a large used market because people hang on to them!
at a $300 budget the cheap 18-55IS is good otherwise look at the Tamron 17-50 2.8 or Sigma, IMO wide focal lengths and larger apertures are better
http://www.the-digital-picture.com …&FLI=0&API=0&Le​nsComp=398 (external link)

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 22, 2010 09:35 as a reply to  @ watt100's post |  #8

Welcome Cail,,my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 Dii is a brilliant lens,, pity I don't use it all that much but I'll never part with it..

As a general purpose lens it fits the bill nicely..

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Deep ­ Pocket
Goldmember
1,329 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 22, 2010 11:26 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

The tamron 17-50 2.8 is a brilliant lens. Get that along with a 70-200 f4 :)

Or get a 24-105L. A very popular walkaround.

17 and learning..
Canon Rebel XSI/450D:
Sigma 30 f/1.4, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, 18-55 Kit Lens

Deviantart (external link)

Pasukun
Goldmember
1,388 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 22, 2010 14:06 |  #10

Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 is your boy.

"the things we touch have no permanence.. as there is nothing we can hold onto in this world.. only by letting it go can we truly possess what is real.."

My Gears

spartan_photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 22, 2010 21:08 |  #11

thanks guys, i'll have to have a proper look at the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 - I'lltry it out somewhere so I can see if the focal range is enough for me... I can't help but think I should have something longer than 50mm? I guess thats when people walk closer right?? so the sharpness at 17 is probably worth the trade-off without having the lenght past 50??

Thanks again everyone!

mightyslam
162 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 22, 2010 21:10 as a reply to  @ spartan_photo's post |  #12

Another vote for the Sigma 17-70 OS. Love mine.

flickr (external link) | Canon 7D MkII | Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM | Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM | Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM | Canon 430EX II

spartan_photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 22, 2010 22:39 |  #13

looks like the Sigma 17-70 OS would be a great buy as it seems to get more praise than the 17-85mm IS lens... I have my 50mm 1.8 prime for low light situations, indoors etc and are happy with its performance.

I'm thinking about the Sigma 17-70 DC as this has been replaced with the 17-70 OS and seems to have similar specs (minus OS). Can anyone shed some light? The 17-70 DC should fall withing my budget.

sponsored links

1,090 views & 0 likes for this thread
new to photography - painful pained decisions! help?!?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.