Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 01 Mar 2010 (Monday) 13:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Think Tank Logistics Manager Roller

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,432 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 22, 2010 08:57 |  #16

Electric Monk wrote in post #9845816 (external link)
This one has pockets/mounts on both sides of the bag for lightstands. I personally hope it'll let me mount my bazooka to atleast one of the sides, even better if it would take 2 of em.

Internal dimension of 27.5", external 30", I think only something like nano stands will fit in.:)

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

sponsored links
jmborkowski
113 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 22, 2010 22:38 |  #17

Electric Monk wrote in post #9839764 (external link)
While I can understand the advantage of not looking flat out like a case full of expensive camera gear, I'd have a hard time justifying the 300 difference between this and a pelican 1650. its has a few advantages like being able to take lightstands attached to the sides.

Sadly, being a Think Tank addict I'm sure I'll find some excuse to buy this gorgeous case.

In one of Chase Jarvis' vids he mentions putting gear in a Pelican case then putting that in an el cheapo suitcase. That would give you the protection and nondescript look of the TT for much less.

That, and I doubt the TT is water tight.

kmhphoto
21 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 23, 2010 06:16 |  #18

jmborkowski wrote in post #9851689 (external link)
In one of Chase Jarvis' vids he mentions putting gear in a Pelican case then putting that in an el cheapo suitcase. That would give you the protection and nondescript look of the TT for much less.

That, and I doubt the TT is water tight.

And that solution would also give you far more protection.
I recently purchased TT Airport Security V2 whilst on a trip to the US. On an internal flight they would not allow the case onboard so I had to check it at the gate.
When I got it back a camera and lens had been damaged :-(

TT will claim that it is not designed to be used as checked baggage but they advertise it as having a TSA approved lock!!!!!

cogliostro
239 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 23, 2010 06:28 |  #19

Imo, checking the allowed carry on dimension is your responsibility, and while they may try their best to adjust it, onboard items dimension can be varied between the carriers, so i think your opinion is a little weak to blame them.

5d2 and glasses
deviantart (external link)

kmhphoto
21 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 23, 2010 14:25 |  #20

cogliostro wrote in post #9853196 (external link)
Imo, checking the allowed carry on dimension is your responsibility, and while they may try their best to adjust it, onboard items dimension can be varied between the carriers, so i think your opinion is a little weak to blame them.

Thanks for your opinionated post.

But with over 3 million miles of international air travel under my seat I'm well aware of the on board luggage capacities of different planes. I also have a Piper Seneca and you don't get much in that :-)

I wasn't blaming them, I was pointing out the fact that if you do get into a situation where they do have to go into the planes hold then they do not offer a great deal of protection.
My experience may help someone else from sustaining several thousand dollars worth of damage if they read that the case is "USA domestic airline carry on size."

I've had frequent flight where I've had to gate check a Tamrac Roller case and never had a problem. But the Think Tank does not offer the same amount of protection.

Ultimately I was to blame because I had the final choice as to whether to trust my case in the hold. I simply made the wrong choice.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 23, 2010 19:32 |  #21

cogliostro wrote in post #9853196 (external link)

Ever heard of "Gate checks"? I've seen legal carry-ons being redirected to the hold at the gate. Yeah, it's the carriers who encourage everyone to try to shove everything into their carry-on bags by charging for the first checked bag. I'd rather see them charge for carry-ons that won't fit under the seat.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

kmhphoto
21 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 24, 2010 02:15 |  #22

Jon wrote in post #9857512 (external link)
Ever heard of "Gate checks"? I've seen legal carry-ons being redirected to the hold at the gate. Yeah, it's the carriers who encourage everyone to try to shove everything into their carry-on bags by charging for the first checked bag. I'd rather see them charge for carry-ons that won't fit under the seat.

I don't think he understands that itineraries and aircraft can be changed at the last minute.
On this trip we were scheduled to fly first class from Columbus to Chicago, then Business to Heathrow. We got to the airport and was told at the desk that planes were being delayed into Chicago so the would be putting us onto an earlier flight so we would not miss our connection.
We were also told that we would be assigned out seats at the gate - alarm bells should have started ringing then.
At the gate we found out that it was a one class plane and a much smaller aircraft - thats the reason for having to check the bag.
In over 30 years of flying this is only the second time I've had equipment damaged so I've been lucky.

As I posted before, I accept full responsibility for the damage because I had a choice. The really dumb thing is that my wife said she thought we should put the camera bodies into her handbag :-(

hfgarris
Goldmember
1,760 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 24, 2010 11:36 |  #23

Just FYI:

I see that Adorama has the TT "Logistics Manager Roller" listed on eBay today and you can probably get 8% Bing cashback if you are in the market for one of these. They say they have "more than 5 available" in the ad.

-howard

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 24, 2010 12:20 |  #24

Man, that thing is huge!

Bryan

My Gear List

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 24, 2010 12:24 |  #25

Saw one in person at the local brick & mortar the other day...

Opened it up and the first thing that struck me: It's packed (and I mean packed) with dividers. There's like a lifetime supply stuffed into the thing.

You could tweak the interior layout of this until the cows come home to when they go back out again! :D

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

hfgarris
Goldmember
1,760 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 24, 2010 13:24 |  #26

Yeah ... Think Tank is pretty good about providing PLENTY of dividers for any configuration you might dream up! I have several Think Tank bags, and use marked zip-lock bags to keep the extra dividers organized so that I can include the proper ones in the event I might sell one of the bags in the future. I wouldn't want the new owner to miss out on the "divider overload" of a new TT bag! :lol::rolleyes:

-howard

sponsored links

2,398 views & 0 likes for this thread
Think Tank Logistics Manager Roller
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.