Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Dec 2008 (Wednesday) 08:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate!

this thread is locked
george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 22, 2010 13:01 |  #4381

I too like number two, Jeff. The only thing I'd change would be to crop out a bit of the street in the foreground and might try adding some vignette to add to the mood. Cool shot.

What does the building look like from the left angle....with the cemetary in the foreground ?

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

sponsored links
The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 22, 2010 15:03 as a reply to  @ george m w's post |  #4382

Thanks for the feedback guys! Always appreciated! ;)

The church from the left side is blocked by a number of trees and bushes so it isn't too pretty from that side, especially now before the spring bloom.

I experimented with adding vignetting too and found it looked over produced so decided to not bother as it seemed to have enough "drama" as is!

Cheers!

GEAR LIST l WEBSITE (external link)

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 22, 2010 15:37 |  #4383

The church from the left side is blocked by a number of trees and bushes so it isn't too pretty from that side

....ah....that's too bad.....with the cemetary and brooding sky, that could be awesome looking !

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 22, 2010 16:52 |  #4384

george m w wrote in post #9849016 (external link)
....ah....that's too bad.....with the cemetary and brooding sky, that could be awesome looking !

It might be cooler at night? I've only ever visited it in daylight. The cemetery at night, with a prolonged exposure on tripod might be interesting! I'll have to check that out!

Cheers!

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
13,147 posts
Gallery: 351 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 22, 2010 20:56 as a reply to  @ The Ghost of FM's post |  #4385

Hey everyone...

The family is heading to Florida (specifically Orlando) for a week and a half... We'll be doing the touristy thing which will include:

- Epcot Center
- Gatorland
- Kennedy Space Center
- Animal Kingdom

This will mark our first family expedition to the wonderful state of Florida... Weather looks promising during our stay... Only two days are forecasted for rain/t-storms... In any event, I'm currently thinking of bringing the following gear for the attractions listed above..

1Ds2
16-35 2.8L (all wide landscapes)
50L (mid range "creative" glass)
70-200 2.8L IS (specifically going to be used for Animal Kingdom)

My other glass inventory that's staying behind is:
35L, 85L, 135L, 500L (yeah right!!!), 24-70 2.8L, Kenko 1.4x & 2x TCon's

CPL's and UV's will be brought along for weatherproofing and creative reasons... With the current gear I'm bringing, would anyone advise otherwise? For example, would anyone recommend swapping out the 70-200 2.8L IS for my 135L+1.4x TCon (for Animal Kingdom) to reduce carrying weight? Or perhaps bring the 35L as my "wide angle" glass instead of the 16-35 2.8L? I have a Lowepro Trekker 200 backpack as my traveling storage unit... However, I will not be bringing all of the glass with me during each attraction... Most likely two of the three will see action...

Any comments and/or suggestions with what I'm currently going to bring? I've got a few days to tinker/change the gear i'm bringing... Anyhoo... Thanks in advance...

- airbutchie :D

Hi. My name is Butch...
Complete Gear List | Flickr Vault (external link) | Instagram (external link)

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 22, 2010 21:14 as a reply to  @ airbutchie's post |  #4386

airbutchie,

I did that same list about 15 years ago and did it with a couple of disposable 35mm film cameras! :D

The quality of the images were pretty sad but it was a light weight solution that made going on all the rides and doing all that walking very manageable and enjoyable. I'm not sure if I would have enjoyed the venues as much, lugging around a loaded trekker 200?

I'm really temped to suggest a G11 and just enjoy the trip and the quality time with your family. YMMV.

Cheers!

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,579 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 22, 2010 21:26 |  #4387

Yeah, Butch, you know I'm not one to travel without my gear, either. I take it all...fark it. However, I make sure I keep the glass in the safe, when it's not being used.

On the flip side, I'm kinda siding with Jeff here, in that yeah, you can take it...but, if you're wanting to go on rides and stuff, it's a hassle. If not, then, by all means...bring the best of the best. ;)

It's warming up here, though still cool, but I'm thinkin' Spring Break is happenin'....so, it's gonna be very crowded, as well. However, since you're going to multiple places...might not be a bad thing.

Bah...I'm of no use here...like I said, I just take it all. It's insured for a reason. ;)

MCSquared Photography (external link) on WWW
MCSquared Photography (external link) on Flickr
MCSquared Photography (external link) on IG
My name: Manish.

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
13,147 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 22, 2010 22:44 |  #4388

Thanks for the feedback, Jeff/Manish... I'll take your suggestions with consideration!!!

- Butch :)

Hi. My name is Butch...

Headshotzx
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 23, 2010 00:32 |  #4389

For travel that's going to be photo-friendly (photogenic locations, free time, safe to use cameras, not all about kids and having fun etc) I'd take that exact setup that you talked about. You want everything sealed for the weather in case some once-in-a-lifetime event happens in crazy weather when you're out with the family.

Zexun | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) |

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
13,147 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 23, 2010 11:00 |  #4390

Headshotzx wrote in post #9852249 (external link)
For travel that's going to be photo-friendly (photogenic locations, free time, safe to use cameras, not all about kids and having fun etc) I'd take that exact setup that you talked about. You want everything sealed for the weather in case some once-in-a-lifetime event happens in crazy weather when you're out with the family.

Thanks for your comments, Headshotzx... Much appreciated...

- airbutchie :)

Hi. My name is Butch...

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 23, 2010 12:32 |  #4391

Butch,
I'd consider taking a sub compact tripod for night time long exposures. I have a little tripod that compresses down to about 6 inches long, and extends out to maybe 3 feet. Weights very little, is not very sturdy, but still, I have got some really good results using it. Self timer if not a cable release.

regards, george w

Dave N.

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
13,147 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 23, 2010 13:29 |  #4392

^ Thanks George... I actually am bringing my "travel tripod" with me (Manfrotto 715SHB)... I bring that tripod with me whenever I travel... Small enough to attach to the side of my camera backpack (Lowepro Trekker 200)... Anyhoo... Travel tripod check!!!

Hi. My name is Butch...

David ­ S
559 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 23, 2010 15:15 |  #4393

Hey airbutchie,

I also just ordered the 50L. How are you liking this especially compared to your other lens?

-David

Leica M | Sony a7R | Fujfilm X-Pro 1
flickrexternal link

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
13,147 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 23, 2010 18:41 |  #4394

^ Hey David...

I like it alot... Especially the focal length... It has a very nice nitch between my 35L and 85L... The weathersealing is a nice feature, along with the large aperture and fast focusing speed... I've shot one event with it so far and it worked admirably... No problems with front/back focusing... I guess I got a good copy... This issue was the real worry I had, though... I'm glad to say that my worries went away once I gave it a test... I truly hope yours does too...

I'll be taking it to Orlando, FL on vacation so I'll definately put it to its paces... I'll let you know how it performed once I get back... Anyhoo, congrats on your acquisition and I hope it's a great copy!!!

Hi. My name is Butch...

David ­ S
559 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 23, 2010 18:57 as a reply to  @ airbutchie's post |  #4395

Thanks for the reply. That is why I ordered if from Adorama Ebay store. With the Bing cashback, rebate, and Ebay bucks, I got a new one for what it goes used. Plus I can exchange it if the focus shift is not within the DOF. I am quite nervous about getting a good copy as well, but I won't accept anything less.

I have traveled to a lot of countries and always carried the big zooms with my tripod. Your plan is fine as long as you just take one or two lens with you and leave the rest in the hotel. But make sure you lock it in the safe. The lens you suggested sounds perfect. I would keep the 70-200 as I have found the IS to be quite useful when lighting is minimal.

But most importantly, as others have mentioned, just have fun. Don't let the gear be a hindrance.

Leica M | Sony a7R | Fujfilm X-Pro 1
flickrexternal link

sponsored links

1,398,855 views & 0 likes for this thread
-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.