Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 24 Feb 2010 (Wednesday) 13:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma Service Experience

anscochrome
443 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 23, 2010 14:45 |  #46

themadman wrote in post #9851119 (external link)
I've got to believe shooting a HSM motor lens would be a lot less hassle and a whole lot better tracking than all these manual focus lenses.

On the other hand, I have NEVER sent a manual focus lens anywhere 5 or 6 times for calibration, as has been stated in this thread concerning the Sigma 50mm F 1.4. Is ANY lens really worth that much blood, toil, sweat, and tears, especially for a hobbyist? I think if one really wanted to use the Sigma 50mm F 1.4 for the "look" of the lens, they would be better off investing in focusing screen with a microprism or split prism aid, and forget about sending it in numerous times to get AF calibrated. 50mm is not a typical "action" FL in the first place.

http://anscochrome.zen​folio.com (external link)

sponsored links
themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 23, 2010 15:09 |  #47

anscochrome wrote in post #9855802 (external link)
On the other hand, I have NEVER sent a manual focus lens anywhere 5 or 6 times for calibration, as has been stated in this thread concerning the Sigma 50mm F 1.4. Is ANY lens really worth that much blood, toil, sweat, and tears, especially for a hobbyist? I think if one really wanted to use the Sigma 50mm F 1.4 for the "look" of the lens, they would be better off investing in focusing screen with a microprism or split prism aid, and forget about sending it in numerous times to get AF calibrated. 50mm is not a typical "action" FL in the first place.

I just read through the thread again to try and find this, who has sent their lens in multiple times?! I haven't found someone who has sent it in twice, much less 5 or 6.

Plus, keep this in mind, a autofocus lens works as a manual focus as well :p

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

vitacura
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 23, 2010 15:19 |  #48

Well I finally shipped my lens off today to get calibrated, hope to see it spot on soon!

Gear & Feedback

anscochrome
443 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 23, 2010 16:28 |  #49

themadman wrote in post #9855964 (external link)
I just read through the thread again to try and find this, who has sent their lens in multiple times?! I haven't found someone who has sent it in twice, much less 5 or 6.

Plus, keep this in mind, a autofocus lens works as a manual focus as well :p

Ok my bad, 4 times-close enough: https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=9775312&po​stcount=36

That was my point of using a different screen and avoid the entire AF calibration runaround-throw that puppy in manual focus and use a microprism or split image rangefinder screen.

http://anscochrome.zen​folio.com (external link)

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 23, 2010 16:44 |  #50

anscochrome wrote in post #9856491 (external link)
Ok my bad, 4 times-close enough: https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=9775312&po​stcount=36

That was my point of using a different screen and avoid the entire AF calibration runaround-throw that puppy in manual focus and use a microprism or split image rangefinder screen.

I agree 4 times is bad, but honestly... why?! That person has a 5D2, it has micro adjust, if it is just a tad off, use the microadjust. Sounds like someone is just causing problems for themselves.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

bruceq
108 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 23, 2010 16:45 as a reply to  @ vitacura's post |  #51

I'm sad to report that I still don't have my 150-500 back yet from Sigma NY. :cry:

So far, after sending the lens to them on March 8th, I've been contacted several times by email wanting to know the type of body I use. I responded each time and a day or so later I would get the same request! The bad thing is I included their service form with my lens which detailed everything they would ever need to know, but apparently they lost the paperwork.

I finally lost my temper on 03/16 and wanted my case excalated. I received a phone call that night from a Tom at Sigma who AGAIN wanted to know the camera information. I vented about the runaround I'd been receiving and the multiple promise dates I'd been given. He said the tech who performs the calibrations was on vacation and wouldn't be back until 03/22 but that he would get on my lens right away.:rolleyes:

I've been less than impressed with the customer service and really hate to bash a company but this has been an ordeal. I could maybe understand if I'd sent the lens to another "authorized" facility but my god, I sent it directly to Sigma Corporation. I would've thought that's where I'd receive the best service for a lens less than 30 days old. Has anyone had better luck from one of the "authorized" service facilities?

I still hold out hope that the lens will come back spot on perfect.

Cameras - 5D MkII/Grip, 7D/Grip, T1i/Grip
Lens - EF-S 10-22, EF-S 18-55, EF 35-70, EF-S 55-250, EF 17-40L, EF 24-105L IS, EF 70-200 2.8L IS, EF 70-210, EF 100-400L, Sigma 150-500 OS, EF 100L IS, EF 180L, EF 85 1.8, EF 50 1.8

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 23, 2010 16:46 |  #52

I've noticed something, am I the only who didn't send it to Sigma NY and simply sent it to one of the service centers listed on Sigma's site?

vitacura
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 23, 2010 17:02 |  #53

Man.. I filled out the form at the Sigma website and it told me to send it to NY. Drat. Maybe I should have sent it to CRIS in AZ.

Gear & Feedback

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 23, 2010 17:03 |  #54

vitacura wrote in post #9856691 (external link)
Man.. I filled out the form at the Sigma website and it told me to send it to NY. Drat. Maybe I should have sent it to CRIS in AZ.

I just ignored the form. Lol. I just sent it to the closest place to me (after calling them).

flexthatdx
335 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 05, 2010 23:33 |  #55

richierich1212 wrote in post #9773044 (external link)
Quick instructions:

1. Register your lens using this form (external link).
2. Click here (external link) to fill out a repair order.
3. Sigma will send you an e-mail with instructions and an address where they would like for you to send your lens to.
4. Send your lens with a copy of your receipt, the repair order form printed out (Sigma e-mails you a pdf), and a CD with jpegs showing how the lens was out of focus. Make sure you ship it insured with a signature required.
5. Wait unpatiently while they take their sweet time to calibrate the lens. You can go back to the repair order form (external link) to check the status
of the work order. Just input your order number and e-mail.

My lens took a little over two weeks to return to me the day I sent the lens out for calibration. (Coast-to-Coast)

WOW! What a difference it makes. I just got my lens back from Sigma today. It took a little over 2 weeks for me and I sent it to the NY location, I am from CA. It focuses dead on when the lens is mounted to my 5d2. It was so worth the time sending it in and waiting for it. Did a quick lens test chart and it has not focusing issues.

irishman
Goldmember
4,098 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 05, 2010 23:59 |  #56

flexthatdx wrote in post #9940965 (external link)
WOW! What a difference it makes. I just got my lens back from Sigma today. It took a little over 2 weeks for me and I sent it to the NY location, I am from CA. It focuses dead on when the lens is mounted to my 5d2. It was so worth the time sending it in and waiting for it. Did a quick lens test chart and it has not focusing issues.

Same experience I had.:lol:

6D, G9, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 15mm Fisheye, Sigma 50 2.8 macro, Nikon 14-24G 2.8, Canon 16-35 2.8 II, Canon 24-105 f/4 IS, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS, tripod, lights, other stuff.

vitacura
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 06, 2010 08:30 |  #57

Congrats on getting it back. Mine was at Sigma exactly one week, shipped back to me Friday. It arrived at the local distribution center on monday. This morning it was scanned but shows 'not due for delivery.'
That is frustrating, it will sit there another day because the estimated delivery date isn't until tomorrow. :(

Gear & Feedback

bfung
411 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 06, 2010 09:07 |  #58

So if i bought a used sigma 30mm, without receipt but with a blank warranty card, do you think i should send it in to see if they will fix it? There aren't any focusing issues, but the HSM AF is loud, and it squeaks. I'm in Canada, so should i send it to the canada support center?

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/billyfung/ (external link)

scuzy
116 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 06, 2010 09:34 |  #59

vitacura wrote in post #9942475 (external link)
Congrats on getting it back. Mine was at Sigma exactly one week, shipped back to me Friday. It arrived at the local distribution center on monday. This morning it was scanned but shows 'not due for delivery.'
That is frustrating, it will sit there another day because the estimated delivery date isn't until tomorrow. :(

You could always goto the Fedex delivery center to pick it up. :)

scuzy
116 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 06, 2010 09:35 |  #60

i am waiting for my lens to get calibrated my self. It showed it just got delivered today to Sigma NY. So hopefully i'll have it back in 2-3 weeks.

sponsored links

7,758 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma Service Experience
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.