Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 23 Mar 2010 (Tuesday) 17:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STARTING OUT ON MY OWN

capturephotography
219 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 23, 2010 17:07 |  #1

HEY GUYS, I NEED YOURE HELPPPP!

ok here is how it is...

im 23, i currently work in a photography studio and i know the ins and outs like the back of my hand, i pratically run the show and its boomin all the time, i used to do the shoots myself but i became manager and the boss has employed a guy to fill in on the shoot, but that doesnt matter

what matters is im 23 as a said and i am planing on opening a studio of my own as well as doing framing and other art deco kinds of what have you.

at the moment i own all the framing equipment to run a framing company and i currently supply frames to my boss for the studio so already i have custome there.

i think im rambling a little

all i really want to know is what are the main things i need to start out on my own like i mean legal aspects and so on.

this may be a pointless thread but im going to go a head and click submit anyway

and also if anyone out there that is self employed and running your own studio set up, a few pointers would be great!!!!

thanks x

sponsored links
shphoto32
79 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 23, 2010 17:36 |  #2

Take business classes. Buy a few books on business plans. Talk to a few local entrepreneurs. The business aspect will kill you if you don't respect it.

Temple, TX Photography (external link) || My Facebook Fan Page (external link)

breadandbutter
520 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 23, 2010 17:38 |  #3

You may have signed a non-compete agreement with the company. Make sure you didn't before you pursue this any further.

It's a good day if I'm looking down at the grass and not up at the roots.
Kevin

dbvirago
367 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 23, 2010 17:47 |  #4

Ditto to shphoto. A good businessperson who is a mediocre photographer will usually succeed before a great photographer who is a mediocre businessperson. Stay on as manager for a while You've learned the shooting end of the business. Apply the same enthusiasm (or tolerance anyway) to the management end.

Darryl

http://www.brooksimage​s.com (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/brooksimages (external link)
http://twitter.com/#!/​dbvirago (external link)

jeev
Goldmember
1,549 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 23, 2010 17:49 |  #5

You are on right track, as other posters suggested, handling camera and running a business are 2 different skills, as you said you are good at the first so get some exposure by reading books, attending some classes to know more about running a business. You also need to get a business licence... Good Luck

1d4|5D3|85LII|50L|200F2LIS|500 F4L IS|
2.8/21 ZE|2/35 ZE|2/100 MP ZE|T* 50mm f/1.7 C/Y|
16-35II|70-200II|

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,977 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 24, 2010 15:19 |  #6

capturephotography wrote in post #9856720 (external link)
all i really want to know is what are the main things i need to start out on my own like i mean legal aspects and so on.

The answer to that depends on exactly where you are in the world.

If I was being a git, I'd assume that, as you haven't mentioned it - you're from the US :rolleyes:.

But even then I believe different States have different rules for this kind of thing.

As others have said, running a successful business is more about business than the widgets you're selling. People contemplating self-employment often concentrate on the widgets, as they believe that their expertise with widgets makes them suitable to make enough money.

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

823 views & 0 likes for this thread
STARTING OUT ON MY OWN
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.