Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 23 Mar 2010 (Tuesday) 15:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

light a band/ group of people

tlr87
26 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 23, 2010 15:12 |  #1

on friday i will be shooting a band in their studio, theres 5 band members, the studio is pretty dark. I want to order lighting for this job because i probably wont have enough, any sugestions? halogens? soft boxes? what should i use? i found a kit with two soft boxes but im just not sure if the soft light will be enough to cover them as a group.

sponsored links
charl1e
246 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 23, 2010 16:03 |  #2

The optimum set up would be to use strobes - don't use continuous power. For light placement, it really depends on what type of look you want. Most shots I've seen have a beauty dish boomed for hair light, one main light in a big softbox/octabox facing the subjects, and a light behind the subject pointed at their backs.

Canon 5D Mark III, 35mm f1.4L, 70-200mm f2.8L, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8, Sigma 24-35mm f2 ART
Add me on Facebook! (external link)
Charlie Chang Photography (external link)

CosmoKid
Goldmember
4,235 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 23, 2010 16:05 |  #3

today is Tuesday. you want to research, purchase, and have shipped to you (on time) a light set-up?

where do you live?

Joe- 2 bodies, L 2.8 zoom trilogy and a couple of primes
iRocktheShot.com (external link) - Portfolio (external link)

Gear/Feedback
Facebook "Fan" Page (external link) -

tlr87
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 23, 2010 16:48 as a reply to  @ CosmoKid's post |  #4

thanks charl1e,
ill probably a pair of octabox softboxes, and light placement will depend on space. @ cosmokid, well i was handed this job last night so i wasnt givin alot of time. i live in huntington beach.

Sam|McGuire
865 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 23, 2010 19:32 |  #5

tlr87 wrote in post #9856601 (external link)
thanks charl1e,
ill probably a pair of octabox softboxes, and light placement will depend on space. @ cosmokid, well i was handed this job last night so i wasnt givin alot of time. i live in huntington beach.

Have you ever used studio strobes/speedlights and modifiers before? You're going to want to get some practice in before going on a "job" with them.

Canon 5DII| 35L | 16-35LII |24-70L |70-200 F/2.8 IS LII | Alien Bees | CPS Member
Flickr  (external link)
www.moralfibers.co (external link)

CosmoKid
Goldmember
4,235 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 24, 2010 06:21 |  #6

tlr87 wrote in post #9856601 (external link)
. @ cosmokid, well i was handed this job last night so i wasnt givin alot of time. i live in huntington beach.

i think you may be better off renting them. is there a local camera store in your area?

Joe- 2 bodies, L 2.8 zoom trilogy and a couple of primes
iRocktheShot.com (external link) - Portfolio (external link)

Gear/Feedback
Facebook "Fan" Page (external link) -

golden1245
169 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 24, 2010 16:51 |  #7

depends if you want any shadows on their face. You could use a large beauty dish, Mola 43 inch or 33 inch on a boom arm above and in front of them, with white boards on the left and right of them. That would be more like fashion lighting, if it's for family portraits, perhaps you can have a large softbox to their above right and another softbox at lower power on their direct left to act as a fill light and also a small beauty dish or reflector with a slight grid as a hairlight. Using a light pointed to their back as separation is usually pretty cheesy imo.

http://www.crashcourse​photography.com (external link)
Check out my equipment review and how-to articles on this site :)
http://www.ollyyung.co​m (external link)
Personal work!

sponsored links

1,349 views & 0 likes for this thread
light a band/ group of people
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.