Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 23 Mar 2010 (Tuesday) 16:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 18-200 Lens Opinions

bhowdy
694 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 23, 2010 16:55 |  #1

I have never posted a question like this one before so be gentle. :lol:

We are taking the kids and the grandkids to the Outer Banks in May and I was considering the purchase of the Canon 18-200mm "do it all" zoom. Use would be for the quick vacation type shots that usually run all over the board on required focal lengths.

When we are just walking around and on the beach I really don't want to haul around several lenses at these times ... so I thought this lens might be an option.

If you look at my "Gear List" you can see that I have lots of wonderful Canon "L" glass, but really do not have any single lens that fills this need. I know that there are trade-offs for these ultra zoom lenses. The good stuff will also be going with me for the sunrises, trips to the close by wildlife refuges, etc. (without the thundering herd!)

I am looking for opinions on this lens or the Sigma / Tamron equivalents. Open to suggestions ... Thanks in advance.

Bob
East Tennessee, USA

My Full Gear List - My Photo Galleries (external link)

sponsored links
bhowdy
THREAD ­ STARTER
694 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 23, 2010 19:05 |  #2

Thoughts, comments, opinions?

Bob
East Tennessee, USA

Chris_R
189 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 23, 2010 19:27 |  #3

This lens is good just for "beginner of dslr world". Not USM is a pain when you are used to usm.
If you put the lens face down, it will automaticly extend if you don't hold the zoom ring, that's a pain too.
But the IS is good, you can see the review/comparaison here:
http://www.juzaphoto.c​om …0_tamrom18-250_18-270.htm (external link)

Canon 1DXII | Canon 7D + BG-E7
EF 16-35 f/4L IS USM | EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM
EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
EF 50 f/1.2L IS USM | EF 85 f/1.4L IS USM | EF 100 f/2.8L IS USM Macro
EF 2x II Extender | EF-S 60 f/2.8 macro
flickr (external link)

borism
Goldmember
3,415 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 23, 2010 19:39 as a reply to  @ Chris_R's post |  #4

Hi Bob

I honestly think that this is the ultimate vacation lens (this and the Tamron 18-270VC)
The 18-200IS is a very nice and very FUN lens, I had it and sold it to fund other stuff, but I sometimes miss it to be honest.
I did a comparison with my Kit lens 18-55IS and you can find it here

http://www.flickr.com …8/sets/72157622​216147556/ (external link)

You can make your own conclusion
It does not have USM but I can tell you it focus even faster than the kit lens and is very reliable, The IS system is just great.
The not so great part is that is a slow aperture lens AND is not very light and creeps a little but you have a lock under it to prevent that while walking
Other than that it will give you great Vacation images, you can do pretty much what the 18-55 and the 55-250IS can do with one lens.
I went with this lens and a 35mm f2 to Disney and I had a great time
Dont expect a L lens, but again is a fun lens on vacation, family reunions etc.

CANON 6D - SONY A6000

bhowdy
THREAD ­ STARTER
694 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 23, 2010 20:15 as a reply to  @ borism's post |  #5

Chris - Thanks for the link ....much appreciated
Borism - Your opinion was very helpful, thank you

Bob
East Tennessee, USA

cccc
Goldmember
2,017 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 23, 2010 20:17 |  #6

sigma 18-200 is well reviewed

mtran
64 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 23, 2010 20:19 |  #7

I had the 18-200 when I used to own a T1i. Honestly, it never left my camera bag. The sigma 18-50 2.8 suited me much better as I never took any telephoto shots. My main problem with shooting was low light so the 18-200 wasn't too great in respect to that.

However, it would be perfect for vacations or going to the beach. (don't want to be switching lenses with sand flying around)

GEAR Canon 7D | Canon 40D | Canon 430EX II | Canon 10-22 f3.5-4.5 | Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 EX DC Macro | Canon 50mm f1.8 II | Lowepro Flipside 400AW | Crumpler 6MDH | Slik Sprint Pro II GM Tripod

sponsored links

1,074 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 18-200 Lens Opinions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.